Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Advertisements

Currently working myself through a bottle of 12yo Glendronach. Well not at this exact moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 01:32 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Surely it must be from Scotlandor it cant be Scotch.

History of Scotch Whisky

Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Currently working myself through a bottle of 12yo Glendronach. Well not at this exact moment.
How is it? I heard there 15 year old is excellent too.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
How is it? I heard there 15 year old is excellent too.
Sublime. It's a bottle from 1982 that a client gave me as a tip for a job I finished for him.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
I haven't finished it but I did get to see Heaven Hill (great visitors center) and Makers Mark (great old distillery and tour).
I agree, Bardstown is a great destination. I've been to Maker's Mark several times (in nearby Loreto), and when I visited Heaven Hill I bought one of the rarest and most unusual bottles in my collection, a bottle of cask strength (122.6 proof) Parker's Heritage bourbon, hand signed by Parker Beam, the Master Distiller.

I highly recommend visiting Maker's Mark, because it is, in my mind, the loveliest and most picturesque distillery. And the tasting in the Visitor's Center, if you can catch it, is very educational, because you get to taste the "white dog" as it comes out of the still, then a couple of intermediate aging steps, and then the finished product, so you really understand how aging works in the development of the bourbon flavor.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Yah, it doesn't seem to make any sense. How can you be a dry county with one of the most iconic distilleries pumping out tons of its spirit to the rest of the world but you can't have a sample of it or buy it there (except for the commemerative bottle)? I doubt that that county would be dry if Jack Daniels ever decided to move along with its jobs somewhere else.
It's been that way for about 80 years, so they're used to it down there in the hollow.

JD isn't going to move. Everybody knows that. The cave spring water there is key to their product.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's been that way for about 80 years, so they're used to it down there in the hollow.

JD isn't going to move. Everybody knows that. The cave spring water there is key to their product.
Oh I'm sure they are not moving but I'm also pretty sure that the county would switch from being a dry county pretty quick if they did.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I agree, Bardstown is a great destination. I've been to Maker's Mark several times (in nearby Loreto), and when I visited Heaven Hill I bought one of the rarest and most unusual bottles in my collection, a bottle of cask strength (122.6 proof) Parker's Heritage bourbon, hand signed by Parker Beam, the Master Distiller.

I highly recommend visiting Maker's Mark, because it is, in my mind, the loveliest and most picturesque distillery. And the tasting in the Visitor's Center, if you can catch it, is very educational, because you get to taste the "white dog" as it comes out of the still, then a couple of intermediate aging steps, and then the finished product, so you really understand how aging works in the development of the bourbon flavor.
Yah, Maker's Mark is a great place to visit. Very picturesque. They even let you buy a bottle of their whiskey and hand dip it in the wax. That was fun and I still have the bottle, without the bourbon in it of course .

Heaven Hill was a great tour too. They have quite a spectacular new visitors center there. I was tempted to buy the Elijah Craig 20 year old bouron but at $100+ it was a bit steep for me.

I never had Parkers Heritage bourbon. I've heard of it and I'm sure it's good stuff. Sadly I heard that Parker Beam was recently diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). So, you may want to hold onto that bottle for a while or if you do open it give a toast for Parkers continued good health.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Not sure if this is the same as yours but it sounds damn good.

Parker's Heritage Collection, First Edition, 1996 vintage, 61.3% Price: $80.00

There are two noteworthy items regarding this whiskey. It’s the first barrel-proof whiskey released by Heaven Hill for the U.S. market. It’s also the first of what will be an ongoing series of releases under the “Parker’s Heritage Collection” label. This one is rich, with thick toffee, molasses, vanilla fudge, and Heath bar. It’s also well balanced, with underlying exotic spice, summer fruit, dusty corn, and tobacco to balance the sweeter notes. Long, soothing, finish. A nicely matured bourbon of character and pedigree. (Originally reviewed in Volume 16, No. 4)
(Vol. 17, #1) Reviewed by: John Hansell

Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
So, you may want to hold onto that bottle for a while
Too late.

Quote:
Not sure if this is the same as yours but it sounds damn good.
That's it. Plus a personal appearance by Parker, and the personal signature in gold, and a fine leather pouch to hold it.

Just a word... cask strength, you want to get a good splash of spring water in the glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages