Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times

Advertisements

It's long been known that eating food before or while you drink alcohol slows down how quickly the alcohol goes into your blood. But now a new study has shown that mixing alcohol with diet soda delivers the alcohol into the bloodstream faster than mixing it with regular soda.

You read that right... you'll get drunk faster drinking Rum and Coke Zero than you will drinking regular Rum and Coke.

Why? Because when alcohol hits the stomach with a diet soda mixer, the stomach simply absorbs the alcohol directly, whereas when alcohol hits the stomach with with a sugary soda, the stomach thinks it is food and starts the digestive process, which slows down the absorption of the alcohol.

A couple of points to this new study at Northern Kentucky University I found interesting:

1)Four shots of vodka with sugary soda mixer put the participants just below the legal DUI limit, while four shots with a diet soda put them over.

2)Subjects said they felt the same no matter what they drank, even though tests showed the diet drinkers were about one-fifth more intoxicated. It was the equivalent of drinking a fifth shot, although the participants said they didn't feel any different.

It's a small study, just 8 men and 8 women, but the result was large enough to grab attention.

Alcohol and diet soda may be a bad mix – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Alcohol with Diet Soft Drinks Accelerate Intoxication : Health : Counsel & Heal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
A couple of points to this new study at Northern Kentucky University
Was this study done in a lab ... or a dorm? LOL

(calm down; I read the story and know it was done in a lab ...)

Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Sure isn't going to make me start drinking sugar sodas! I'll stick with my Limon and Coke Zero and vodka and diet Sierra Mist.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,447 times
What a sad commentary on education/research - a few data points* are tossed out and "presto" - a press release designed to generate more funding. Meh.

(I dug up the study in detail, and here's the problem: BAC is a rate - thus the measures should be rate over time for both sample sets*. I, for one, would be interested in the curve, specifically, does one type show an increase in BAC sooner than the other, and does one show decreases sooner than the other; in other words, if one drinks "diet", do they "sober up" quicker?* according to the source document, tests were carried out in a somewhat random pattern - not a sign of quality research)

Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Glad I drink mine neat. No accelerants needed .

Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
I just drink the straight booze, maybe with ice. No mixers to interfere/aid digestion.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
What a sad commentary on education/research - a few data points* are tossed out and "presto" - a press release designed to generate more funding. Meh.
I agree, it's not high quality research, but it produced a pronounced effect, and it's interesting...

Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I agree, it's not high quality research, but it produced a pronounced effect, and it's interesting...
Well, I suppose that getting on CNN is an effect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages