Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

I'm not understanding why they're calling these drinks "martinis" either. For whoever is asking about vodka martinis - yes, they are made out of vodka. But only the ones that are referred to specifically as "vodka martinis." If you ask for a "martini" and don't qualify it with "vodka" or anything else, but rather instead, just "martini" - you SHOULD be getting gin and vermouth, strained through ice into a martini glass. A dry martini would be gin and less vermouth, strained through ice into a martini glass. A "martini, just wave the vermouth of the glass" isn't a martini at all. It's just chilled watered-down gin.

An appletini is an abomination, and a chocolatini is an insult to chocolate lovers AND martini drinkers. I don't drink martinis, I can't stand gin. But it offends my delicate chocolate-loving senses to hear someone ask for a chocolatini. Vodka and chocolate don't belong in the same sentence, let alone in the same drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
After reading the link you provided, I stand corrected, the martini was not originally 1/2 and 1/2. According to that link it was 1 part gin and 1 part vermouth. My apologies.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't care where you go it seems that there isn't a bartender in Christendom who still knows how to make a Martini that being because a Martini with VODKA and without Vermouth, is NOT a MARTINI!

Frankly I don't care that an establishment can make 300 drinks were vodka is shaken or stirred in a cocktail shaker with some other combination of juices or whatever, they ain't MARTINIS!

So who is to blame for this abomination?

Can we get the Martini, whether it is 3:1, 4:1 gin to vermouth back on the menu and bartender schools?

Remember there is nothing wrong with drinking straight chilled gin or vodka, just stop pretending it is a martini.
I'm surprised anybody would get that wrong, even in bartending school I learned that a Martini is made with gin, but I guess bartenders have to make do with what they have (though I'm surprised an establishment would be out of any kind of alcohol they could make money off of.

On another note, it seems like certain alcohol seems to have taken precedence over others. Vodka is wildly popular. I remember one time I ordered a Toxic Waste in a shot and not only had to tell the bartender how to make it, but also since they didn't have cherry brandy they had to use vodka.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
James Bond did it!!!
Now that I think about it...

It's Reagan's fault. Had the Iron Curtain stayed up, Americans would have never come to learn that Vodka doesn't have to taste like the missing ingredient in mouth wash.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
A Martini is made with the best gin one can afford, Italian dry vermouth, is stirred (for thirty seconds and is never shaken,) over crystal clear ice, and is served straight up with three pimento-stuffed olives. There s no discussion. There are no other Martinis.

Here endeth the lesson.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Whomever it was, I bet his cousin is the one who destroyed the meaning of cappuccino.

Had an original cappuccino maybe a week ago. Disgusting! I'll stick with the french vanilla or my pumpkin spice

Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
The answer is WWII that caused a taste for cheaper, quicker liquors--aka vodka. All these vodka drinks exploded in the '50s and '60s and led to a lot of blander cocktails.

Last edited by pgm123; 02-12-2013 at 11:29 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Had an original cappuccino maybe a week ago. Disgusting! I'll stick with the french vanilla or my pumpkin spice
If it wasn't poured at place like Pearl Cup, Avoca, Cultivar or Brewed, I'm dubious as to whether it was an actual cappuccino. They're tough to find in the Metroplex. Besides, people who like flavored coffees would generally be reticent to set foot in those places.

Unfortunately the "martini" naming issue extends to almost everything. Heck, somebody else here recently was blending yogurt with their avocados and calling it guacamole. A little respect for the original recipes would be appreciated!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 PM

382 posts, read 721,508 times
I don't tend to get too upset about the "everything's a martini" trend, but I can see why purists would balk. I think the chocolatini crowd is part of the bigger trend away from strong/bitter flavors, a sort of "infantile orality", if you will, in the direction of sweet baby drinks a la the "coffee" frappuccino .

I was pleasantly surprised at the strong taste of a real sazarac in New Orleans, for example, but I couldn't imagine a drink like that taking becoming wildly popular.

I supposed the unenlightened will continue to insist that anything served in a martini glass is a martini, but we know better.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
I supposed the unenlightened will continue to insist that anything served in a martini glass is a martini, but we know better.
I think that's where it all comes from... the martini glass.

In the 1990s "brown spirit" (scotch, bourbon, whiskies) sales dropped off while "white spirits" (vodka, rum, tequila, gin) rose. With its neutral taste, vodka lent itself well to mixed drinks (typically served over ice) and cocktails (typically served straight up).

As I recall... and somebody correct me if I'm off on this... around 2005 a new cocktail made from vodka with deKuyper's Sour Pucker Apple liqueur appeared, and it was served in a Martini glass, and dubbed the... (drum roll)... Appletini!

I think it's all been downhill since then. Now anything served in a martini glass is called a (something)tini
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages