Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM

155 posts, read 110,585 times

Advertisements

Cognac VS. Courvoisier if available although Cognacs are hard to come by,also they are expensive. I don't care for Hennessy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 04:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
When out for dinner or even lunch do you usually order a coctail or only when a special occasion? If so what is your favorite? Lately, for almost a year now, I have been having a margarita. It is fun to see how different places make it and what kind of glass they serve it in. This is not a fancy one just the basic margarita. I have had it served in anything from a mason jar - at Chili's - to a very nice oversized stemware martini type glass - at Ground Round and every thing in between.. One of the best ones was served at "Long Horn". I'm sure at some point I will tire of this drink and start trying something else. When not in the mood for this drink my choice is usually a good dry Chardonay.
When out for dinner we always have a drink before ordering dinner, lunch, usually not, unless it is a special meal. I will order a martini for dinner and then a glass of wine with dinner, spoiled brat will usually have a scotch and then wine. Sometimes we only order wine. if I drink at lunch for any reason it is wine... Actually if we are at a Mexican or maybe even Italian dinner spoiled brat might have a beer. Like Lubby, my martini is a dirty martini.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I've ordered a drink at a restaurant in the last 5 years. Occasionally, I have ordered a glass of wine if we are out with friends or on a business dinner, but usually I'm strictly a water drinker when I'm out. My husband does not drink at all, so if it's just he and I, which it normally is, I feel kind of stupid drinking by myself. He doesn't care if I do. It's not like he has a drinking problem or something and I'm trying to be considerate or worried that it might upset him. It's just a personal choice he made many, many years ago and I don't like to drink alone.
Hubby not drinking at all probably helps. spoiled brat has cut back since health problems are entering the picture, so at home he drinks less than he did about a year ago, I catch myself cutting back as well or feeling guilty for drinking when he has chosen to cut back. He hasn't been told he has too, he just made the choice.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Old fashioned. It is a shame that many places have no clue what one is these days.
I haven't heard of an Old Fashion for years. My dad used to drink them, as well as Martinis and Manhattans. BTW if anyone wonders where I got my drinking habits, now you know...

Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I haven't heard of an Old Fashion for years. My dad used to drink them, as well as Martinis and Manhattans. BTW if anyone wonders where I got my drinking habits, now you know...
Hey, congrats on winning the $500! My grandpa used to have a manhattan after dinner and I remember my mom telling me about it but I usually forgot which drink specifically. Neither one of my parents drink so when I turned 21 I wanted to try my grandpa's drink. Since I couldn't recall what it was, I decided that it was an old fashioned and I started ordering them and fell in love with them. Some of the more hipster bars now serve the drinks. You know, the old timey pre-prohibition style bars that are sort of popular now.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,243 times
Anything that will get me high.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Hey, congrats on winning the $500! My grandpa used to have a manhattan after dinner and I remember my mom telling me about it but I usually forgot which drink specifically. Neither one of my parents drink so when I turned 21 I wanted to try my grandpa's drink. Since I couldn't recall what it was, I decided that it was an old fashioned and I started ordering them and fell in love with them. Some of the more hipster bars now serve the drinks. You know, the old timey pre-prohibition style bars that are sort of popular now.
thanks for the congrats:

As for drinks old and new: like everything, drinks seem to run in cycles. Growing up, as I said dad loved his Manhattans and Old Fashions and when I was ready to leave for college he told me I should learn to drink Martinis. They would always be acceptable. Of course eventually they almost disappeared, as did many of the 40s and 50s drinks like Whiskey Sours and Tom Collins.. Then it seems when my kids were in college, (70s and 80s) they drank something that was like a shooter made with vodka. The name has slipped my tongue.. Or they drank Rum and Coke. Now, they are older, drink Martinis or scotch and wine. I don't see as many people drinking Margaritas as I used to even in Mexican restaurants. Oh, I see them, but not like 20 years ago. Who knows what will be the next trend? Even the old wines have been replaced with new ones: We used to drink Chablis and Rose or German sweeter wines, now we won't use them for cooking..

Old 04-15-2013, 01:27 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Sauvignon Blanc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages