Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:27 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times

Advertisements

On a binge. Been swigging everyday for 1.5 weeks. Today is my last day for a while. Then I return to 4 beers on a saturday and some more on Sunday. I had a good run. I have been unemployed for a while. Since I have had time to sleep in everyday I have not gotten the full brunt of hangovers. I sometimes wake up at 6 am feeling bad and proclaiming "I quit, no more!." But then after breakfast I feel better and jump right back in. My body is strong and I am not noticing signifigant weight gain. Just 5-6 pounds. When I revert back to my normal routine I'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I know over consumption is bad but how many do you guys drink on a daily basis? I don't drink often but will have 3-4 regular beers on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday. I do not usually drink during the week but on rare occasions, like yesterday, I may drink upto 4 beers socially (over the course of an entire evening). I never exceed 4, that's my maximum.

would you classify my drinking as nothing to worry about or excessive?
4 beers for a 5'5 120 lb person is also a lot different for a 6'4 250 lb person.

I don't think you are in need of an intervention, 12 step program or "Hi, my name is _____ and I am an alcoholic" meetings!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Beer has health benefits *if* your potentially drink say 20 pints in a week, but at that point the ethanol intake outweighs the benefits received. Pro alcohol drinkers are absolutely kidding themselves when they claim that drinking alcohol has health benefits. Red wine will give you cirrhosis, mouth, and stomach cancer, if you want the same exact heart benefits due to "phytonutrients", just drink grape juice. Beer packs on tons of calories and makes people overweight. Want the B vitamins? Good, just eat more whole grain foods.

2 beers a day is potentially 250-300 calories x 7 days a week= 2000 calories extra. Do you realize how much running it takes to burn off 250 calories, let alone 2000 calories per week?

People always seem to start off with "only" 1 or 2 drinks per day. By the time they're 40-50 years old you know what happens? Many times they turn into 5-10 drinks per day, and they have massive beer guts.

Want anti-oxidants? Drink grape juice, eat blue berries, or drink black coffee. Alcohol is not a must.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
i've cut down on the beer and switched to hard liquor. i'll probably go back to beer during the summer.

i don't drink every day. but the 1-2 days a week that i do drink, i'll go through a 12 pack easy. during the summer, it is easy to crush beer after beer, go through a 30 pack in two days.

right now, i haven't touched anything in over a week and a half...but the way this day is going, that might change.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:16 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Alcohol can be healthy within moderation. A couple beers a week won't hurt. I know beers like Guinness are actually a lot healthier then people think:

Guinness: A Dieter's Beer Choice? - That's Fit

Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Hard to believe, but I drink beer for the taste and health benefits, no more than 2-3 per day. And I drink alone 95% of the time. In all honesty, I would rather drink beer than a soda.

Given your drinking pattern, you have nothing to worry about. When you do it to excess, to escape problems ,do things you wouldn't do when not partaking and it affects your work and family life, then it's something to take account of.
Yeah, that's interesting. I always assumed having a beer was healthier than a soda and I do that swap at restaurants frequently...I have never checked a comparison of health effects of the two.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:36 PM

109 posts, read 155,476 times
I don't drink daily and don't keep drinks in my fridge. I rarely drink this days and if I do it's when a friend invited to have a drink. Usually when I'm on it I could drink up to 4-5 regular beers or more.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:07 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
I sometimes go 5 days without drinking, and some weeks, I'll have a couple beers 5 or 6 days in a row. When I was younger, I drank more. It was kind of a game when I still lived with the parents. Kept a couple bottles of Powers Irish whiskey under the dresser just to spite. Moved out when I was 19 and had a few older friends who worked for distributors. Was always able to get ahold of cases when I wanted. Even still, I wouldn't drink more than 4, and most nights, I would only drink a couple. Weekends of course it was much easier to knock back 6 or so throughout the evening.

One thing I have noticed though. You could have labeled me as an alcoholic in my younger years. Clinically, you're an alcoholic if you consume over 3 drinks a day or something? I went through periods like that, especially when I turned 21. But drinking got kind of boring after awhile, and drinking excessively lost it's appeal. I realized I was happier and more fulfilled when the full range of my emotions were intact, as well as my other capacities. I still enjoy drinking a couple beers, but beyond that, I don't really find it adds anything. Most importantly, I don't seem to have any particular urge to consume alcohol.

And if you want to find excuses to drink, like say, it's good for you, go for it. I don't need an excuse to enjoy a beer other than I enjoy it. It's probably not as bad as that soda that everyone's chugging all day, you know, the stuff that could strip the paint off your car. Glad I never got involved with that garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
2 beers a day is potentially 250-300 calories x 7 days a week= 2000 calories extra. Do you realize how much running it takes to burn off 250 calories, let alone 2000 calories per week?
Yes, but how does this compare with soda? And calories are a requirement for living. Like anything, it's over consumption that leads to problems. Since I don't eat potato chips and don't drink soda, I think I'll survive the extra calories.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM

494 posts, read 1,917,043 times
Alcohol And Health

It is interesting to note that the above article mentions moderate drinking as 1-4 drinks!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
I have one a day with dinner from about April thur Oct. Nov-Mar its a glass of wine with dinner.

My doctor loves it, that and the fact that my health is that of a man 20 years younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages