Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 PM

469 posts, read 566,026 times

Advertisements

I'm new to drinking and I enjoy some wine now and then but if you have great advise for a newbie like myself. I'm looking for a sweet wine not looking to a high proof just mostly a sweet refreshing taste. I know I don't like the dryness some wines have , I've tried some Moscato's like Cupcake , Risata d Asti, Costello del poggio these are my favorite ones so far but I'd like to see if anyone can suggest more to try id like to gear from you. the wine doesn't have to be Moscato but I do prefer the sweet wine, thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM

24,235 posts, read 13,100,893 times
When I was in Germany I found the Kabinett-style rieslings to be a great balance between off-dry (slightly sweet) and cloyingly sweet (like some moscato wines). They tend to be low-alcohol, have a decent acidity that counters the sweetness nicely, and are generally quite affordable. Cupcake imports a good riesling, and Schmitt-Sohne and Blüfeld have great values as well. New York's Finger Lakes produces some fine rieslings as does the Traverse City, Michigan area.

You may also like gewürztraminer. Soft, floral-fruity, and is usually off-dry. Grown in the US and Germany, among other places.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:28 PM

19,407 posts, read 27,728,067 times
Though I am not generally a fan of sweet wines, they sometimes do go well with certain foods (especially Thai and Chinese). And gewurztraminer was the first thing I thought about for you.

I've also enjoyed some pinot grigio that were very light bodied and slightly swetish. Perfect for a hot summer day. And generally quite cheap!

Here in NC, even the locally made red wines are sweet. Not my bag, but many people love them.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM

17,694 posts, read 29,716,250 times
Default Drive to AppleJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyself73 View Post
I'm new to drinking and I enjoy some wine now and then but if you have great advise for a newbie like myself.
and ask for advice.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM

22,250 posts, read 29,300,072 times
Pinot Grigio-Try Cavit or Santa Margarita (Cavit is cheap and Santa is about $20)

Chardonnay-Sonoma Cutrer Sonoma Coast ($22-$24) I'm not a Chardonnay person at all but tasted this at Flemings for work and was hooked.

Conumdrum-Mixture of wines. Different taste-sweet. Not sure of price. Probably below $20 I think

If you want to try a red that isn't too dry-Mark West Pinot Grigio ($9-$10) I'm not a red person and I enjoy this.

Or Duckhorn Cabernet ($$) Great Cab

Old 05-20-2013, 01:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,331 times
Just try, red wine and rum or mix of that two.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:55 AM

20,899 posts, read 28,314,396 times
I like cupcake vineyards savonigon blanc, or Markham savonigon blanc. Not into sweet wines. Preseco is a sparkling wine which you may like and it's slightly sweet.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 AM

19,407 posts, read 27,728,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
If you want to try a red that isn't too dry-Mark West Pinot Grigio ($9-$10) I'm not a red person and I enjoy this.
I'm pretty sure you mean Mark West Pinot NOIR - pinot grigio is a white wine. I rarely drink Pinot Nois, preferring any other red wine variety, so a white wine drinker may well enjoy this and it's a very reasonable price for a decent PN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Preseco is a sparkling wine which you may like and it's slightly sweet.
The correct spelling is Prosecco and if the OP is looking for something a little bit sparkling (bubbly), it would be a good choice. Spend under $10.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,726,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyself73 View Post
I'm new to drinking and I enjoy some wine now and then but if you have great advise for a newbie like myself. I'm looking for a sweet wine not looking to a high proof just mostly a sweet refreshing taste. I know I don't like the dryness some wines have , I've tried some Moscato's like Cupcake , Risata d Asti, Costello del poggio these are my favorite ones so far but I'd like to see if anyone can suggest more to try id like to gear from you. the wine doesn't have to be Moscato but I do prefer the sweet wine, thank you for your help
You would probably like Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Busco.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 PM

24,235 posts, read 13,100,893 times
An in-law gave me a Tosti sparkling Moscato this weekend. She's given us a bottle before, and while it's maybe a bit too sweet for my liking, it's definitely a good wine for those who don't like dry wines; it's sweet but not cloying so, it's pink, and it sparkles. It's a fun summer wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages