Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 PM

658 posts, read 1,553,902 times

Advertisements

I just bought a bottle of wine for the first time. I've drank wine many times, but I've never bought it. I either drank it at a restaurant, or at parties with friends. But I never bought a bottle of wine before.

I have tried to avoid alcohol for years because of a family history of alcoholism. However, I am confident now that I have the willpower to drink in moderation - however even so I intend to be very cautious.

The sole reason, the only reason, for drinking wine, is because of the health benefits. I keep reading about how good one glass of wine per day is for your health - especially for me because I have high blood pressure. Wine is said to do wonders for heart health, as well as increasing longevity (life span). So I would be an idiot not to be drinking one glass a day.

So I finally bought a bottle.
Here's the bottle I decided on. The store had a limited selection, but I had to start somewhere. The label says it is flavored like dark cherry and blackberry - well I love cherry so I figured I'd give it a try. It's really good! I like it.

However, I immediately discovered upon opening the bottle, that I didn't know how to close it or how long it will last. It was to my dismay, upon reading google results about it, that just shoving the cork back on there, it will last a mere 3 days! What??

Like, I try to be economical with my money, and I don't intend to buy a new bottle of wine every 3 days. Then again, after thinking about it, I realize that 4-6 glasses can come out of 1 bottle. So at the very least, I need to double the normal longevity of a bottle of wine. I suppose I could buy 4 bottles a month. Still, that's rather expensive! Oh well, it's my health and it's important. Maybe I'll drink a glass every other day, and make one bottle last 2 weeks, and then I'm only buying two bottles per month.

So how do I store the bottle of wine and increase its longevity to about 2 weeks?

Moreover, what do you suggest is the best method to go about what I'm trying to do, which is to simply drink one glass of red wine per day for pure health benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
I don't drink wine but I like to cook with it.

Because of same problem you describe, I buy the little boxes of wine, comes in a carton like milk and has a screw-on cap. There are quite a few flavors to choose from and it keeps longer than bottled wine.

I'm not sure I'd really recognize if it had gone bad anyway.....

Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I don't drink wine but I like to cook with it.

Because of same problem you describe, I buy the little boxes of wine, comes in a carton like milk and has a screw-on cap. There are quite a few flavors to choose from and it keeps longer than bottled wine.

I'm not sure I'd really recognize if it had gone bad anyway.....
Well apparently, oxygen turns wine into vinegar. It's apparently safe to drink for some time afterwords; only, it develops a bad taste after about 3 days rendering it basically undrinkable.

So far I have read two ways of storing it, there is the vacuum cap thing, called Vacu Vin, that removes the oxygen (which due to sheer physics cannot really remove enough of the atmosphere from the bottle to make a significant difference); and there is this mist stuff you can spray in, called Private Preserve, that's made up of inert gases (Argon, Carbon Dioxide [CO2], and Nitrogen), that displace the oxygen, hence almost entirely eliminating potential oxygenation.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,770 times
I've seen a lot of conflicting reports about whether red wine helps or not. I've read that there is zero benefit if you are overweight at all and it significantly raises breast cancer risk. If you want to live longer, eat right and exercise. Don't force yourself to drink!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
I've seen a lot of conflicting reports about whether red wine helps or not. I've read that there is zero benefit if you are overweight at all and it significantly raises breast cancer risk. If you want to live longer, eat right and exercise. Don't force yourself to drink!
Overweight: I am not even close
Breast cancer: Not possible!
Exercise: Yes
Eat Right: working on it

Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 PM

149 posts, read 256,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
I just bought a bottle of wine for the first time. I've drank wine many times, but I've never bought it. I either drank it at a restaurant, or at parties with friends. But I never bought a bottle of wine before.

I have tried to avoid alcohol for years because of a family history of alcoholism. However, I am confident now that I have the willpower to drink in moderation - however even so I intend to be very cautious.

The sole reason, the only reason, for drinking wine, is because of the health benefits. I keep reading about how good one glass of wine per day is for your health - especially for me because I have high blood pressure. Wine is said to do wonders for heart health, as well as increasing longevity (life span). So I would be an idiot not to be drinking one glass a day.

So I finally bought a bottle.
Here's the bottle I decided on. The store had a limited selection, but I had to start somewhere. The label says it is flavored like dark cherry and blackberry - well I love cherry so I figured I'd give it a try. It's really good! I like it.

However, I immediately discovered upon opening the bottle, that I didn't know how to close it or how long it will last. It was to my dismay, upon reading google results about it, that just shoving the cork back on there, it will last a mere 3 days! What??

Like, I try to be economical with my money, and I don't intend to buy a new bottle of wine every 3 days. Then again, after thinking about it, I realize that 4-6 glasses can come out of 1 bottle. So at the very least, I need to double the normal longevity of a bottle of wine. I suppose I could buy 4 bottles a month. Still, that's rather expensive! Oh well, it's my health and it's important. Maybe I'll drink a glass every other day, and make one bottle last 2 weeks, and then I'm only buying two bottles per month.

So how do I store the bottle of wine and increase its longevity to about 2 weeks?

Moreover, what do you suggest is the best method to go about what I'm trying to do, which is to simply drink one glass of red wine per day for pure health benefits?

I have a very extensive collections of wines including a 92 bottle rack that is full, Go out and get a good bottle opener set (bed bath and Beyond) sells them I think they are around 40 dollars but in it will have the corks to seal the bottle .... Red wine shouldn't be put in the fridge but kept at room temperature. It also loves to breath for about an hour before drinking. Depending on how you drink it (I only open the good bottle's if I am having a dinner party or there is a special occasion) You can keep the wine in a decanter but it will still turn on you after a few days... I will tell you drinking a glass or 2 a day is not bad but do not try to drink a whole bottle alone or you will get the worse headache of your life.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:12 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,792 times
Although there are health benefits to alcohol and red wine in particular I'd be more concerned about your family history of alcoholism. Yah 2 aspirin will cure a headache but 10 might kill you. Some people can do fine with moderation and others are just all or none. I guess it pays to know your limits. And if you can do that then enjoy.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 PM

149 posts, read 256,742 times
Btw when a wine says black cherry it doesn't have any cherry in it but was aged in a cherry barrel while it was being turned into wine, that is how wines get the different flavors

Old 06-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Although there are health benefits to alcohol and red wine in particular I'd be more concerned about your family history of alcoholism. Yah 2 aspirin will cure a headache but 10 might kill you. Some people can do fine with moderation and others are just all or none. I guess it pays to know your limits. And if you can do that then enjoy.
I've been dancing around the issue the last year or so. I keep reading the benefits of wine but I've kept avoiding it because I know that I have that addictive tendency, and I am still worried that one day I will feel depressed and start drinking the wine to feel better.

It's also very likely that it is my genetics that are the thing pulling me toward the wine. However, I have been putting a lot of energy the past couple years into focusing on hypothetical scenarios with wine in the fridge and cementing it in my mind and willpower to not use it as a crutch. It's a danger, yes, and certainly a risk. However, I once kept a bottle of vodka in my mini fridge for a year and never drank any, just trying to get myself comfortable with having alcohol available without drinking it. So I'm rather confident that I have the self-control to drink wine for its benefits without being destroyed.

But you are right - if I find myself falling into it I will consider a complete abandonment of alcohol as a whole to keep myself safe and sane. I also know I have genes of strength - my biological mother allegedly quit smoking cold turkey when she was in her 20's and had no problem never smoking again for the rest of her life (so far, and so far as I knew).

Thus, weighing the benefits and potential detriments, I have calculated that the probability of success is high enough to outweigh the probability of failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyDC10AA View Post
Btw when a wine says black cherry it doesn't have any cherry in it but was aged in a cherry barrel while it was being turned into wine, that is how wines get the different flavors
Yes, I know, I learned that on a recent episode of CSI this past season

Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyDC10AA View Post
Was that meant to be a joke? In any case, it's not true, unless you are buying flavored wines.

When people talk about cherry flavors or butter or whatever in a wine they are talking about very faint, slight flavor notes and overtones LIKE cherry, and butter, etc. At the beginning you may not even be able to distinguish between the major flavor notes, but just note what you like and stay loose and over time you will begin to notice subtler differences.

For someone just beginning, and wanting to stick to a single glass a day, I'd recommend you look at the 3 liter box wines that are available everywhere now. Not the 5 liter or 7 liter boxes, which tend to be what used to be called "jug" wines, which aren't noted for quality, and which would last too long for your purposes. But the 3 liter boxes tend to be a higher quality, and because of the packaging will dispense a glass a day without spoilage until you are done...

Last edited by OpenD; 06-03-2013 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages