Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I can tell the difference between what I like and do not like.

I can tell the difference between white and red, but maybe just out of what I always drink.
I can tell the difference between grapes: No one will ever be able to tell me a Chardonnay is a Sauvignon Blanc or a Zinfandel is a Merlot. I can also tell young from old, acidity, oakiness, roundness, length of finish, etc. My ex was in wine sales and worked for a distributor for a while. (Odd, but I'm the one who got him into wine.)

I think the reasons many people can't tell is because they don't have the trained palate or don't drink much wine, and because a lot of expensive wine is grossly overpriced owing to cult status, a certain snobby reputation, or a bratty attitude from an inheriting son. (Anderson's Conn Valley, I'm looking at you.) Point being, price is no great indication of quality, unless you're going ultra cheap, in which case you run a greater risk of getting plonk. I'm a big fan of "cheap and cheerful," myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 09:10 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,859,776 times
oooops! Link to the journal article is b0rked. The abstract is here:
Cambridge Journals Online - Journal of Wine Economics - Abstract - An Examination of Judge Reliability at a major U.S. Wine Competition
you may need access to PubMed to view the entire manuscript.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
oooops! Link to the journal article is b0rked. The abstract is here:
I think it's a telling study. Only 10% of the judges were capable of ranking the same wine the same way with any consistency.

Your honor, I rest my case.

And yes, I did get a 20% case discount.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I can tell the difference between grapes: No one will ever be able to tell me a Chardonnay is a Sauvignon Blanc or a Zinfandel is a Merlot. I can also tell young from old, acidity, oakiness, roundness, length of finish, etc. My ex was in wine sales and worked for a distributor for a while. (Odd, but I'm the one who got him into wine.)

I think the reasons many people can't tell is because they don't have the trained palate or don't drink much wine, and because a lot of expensive wine is grossly overpriced owing to cult status, a certain snobby reputation, or a bratty attitude from an inheriting son. (Anderson's Conn Valley, I'm looking at you.) Point being, price is no great indication of quality, unless you're going ultra cheap, in which case you run a greater risk of getting plonk. I'm a big fan of "cheap and cheerful," myself.
I would agree with you, especially if the wine is a decent one: no, I might not be able to tell the difference between some box wines (the cheaper ones) but a decent one, I can tell. I might have trouble between telling a malbec from some other decent reds. I certainly know what a Chard taste like, compared to, as you said a Sau Blaanc and a white from a red.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:30 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
While i agree with part of the conclusions of their study, i take issue with their methodology, specifically surveying the judges at the bogus California State Fair wine competition. All winos know that medals at state fair comps (especially the California Fair) are meaningless because not all the judges are professional sommeliers or wine critics.

And also it's due to the fact that judges have to slog thru enormous number of wines in a short period of time. Unless you're a pro taster, your palate quickly tires & shuts down after a couple dozen wines, quicker with high-tannin reds.

On a basic level, just imagine judging scores of chocolate chip cookies and having to decide which ones are the "best" based on one tiny morsel, with an additional proscription that you can't go back & re-taste for comparison! Even Chris Kimball would fail!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
With affordable specific gravity, total acid& PH tests, oak chips the more or less universal tastes people agree on are rarely violated. its much harder to find truly bad wine.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
I work the tasting bar at a winery. Our wines are all moderately priced (20-30 dollars) estate grown wines. We produce about 2K cases a year, small production. We grow and bottle Chard, Merlot, Syrah and Zin. We buy Sauv. Blanc, Gewurtz, Viognier from nearby vineyards to round out our wine list. I can tell you from years of experience that it doesn't matter whether you're talking about wine, whiskey, beer or popsicles; taste is all in the mouth. While there is a bit of a learning curve for wine noobs, especially learning to drink big dry reds, what you like is what you like and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. The whole point system on wine judging is absurd. Who gives crap what some effete snob in California think about a particular wine?
I am not at all surprised at the results of the studies linked here. Years of bartending tell me the same thing. Whoever dissed the results of state fair competitions shouldn't have. In my opinion they're the only competitions remotely close, from a business sense, to fair. Most wineries produce wines to be consumed by PEOPLE, not tweedy snobs.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:36 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
I work the tasting bar at a winery. Our wines are all moderately priced (20-30 dollars) estate grown wines. We produce about 2K cases a year, small production. We grow and bottle Chard, Merlot, Syrah and Zin. We buy Sauv. Blanc, Gewurtz, Viognier from nearby vineyards to round out our wine list. I can tell you from years of experience that it doesn't matter whether you're talking about wine, whiskey, beer or popsicles; taste is all in the mouth. While there is a bit of a learning curve for wine noobs, especially learning to drink big dry reds, what you like is what you like and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. The whole point system on wine judging is absurd. Who gives crap what some effete snob in California think about a particular wine?
I am not at all surprised at the results of the studies linked here. Years of bartending tell me the same thing. Whoever dissed the results of state fair competitions shouldn't have. In my opinion they're the only competitions remotely close, from a business sense, to fair. Most wineries produce wines to be consumed by PEOPLE, not tweedy snobs.
My sister also works in a winery, was a bartender before that, and says the same thing. She steers clear of the $50 chards and $100 cabs. Too pretentious, and actually likes a lot of the cheaper wines. And asks for a certain Texas cab blend by name whenever I'm down there... talk about shipping "coal to Newcastle", it's a TX red going to California!

Every September in the Dallas area there's Grapefest's People's Choice event, the largest consumer-judged competition in the US, and it's been likened to a bunch of wine slobs instead of snobs. It is shunned by some wine makers, who are troubled by the plethora of green, young and sweet wines, but it's about making wine palatable and affordable for the masses, and not an elitist pursuit. In the end, the winner is usually not a bold cab or syrah or lenoir, or even toasty viognier, but a light, semi-sweet blanc du bois or maybe even a sweet muscadine. In other words, what the people like.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-16-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
An old buddy who some people believed was some sort of gourmet was into wine. He didn't like anything unless it was $30+ a bottle or more. He and I each received a $50 bottle of Cabernet from a client of mine as a tip. So at a party at my house I filled my bottle with $12 Woodbridge, and served that to him. After telling me that my wine glasses weren't really suitable for proper wine tasting, he raved about how the wine was this and that with the other finish and had great nose blah blah blah. I never told him about the switch but have enjoyed the silliness of it ever since.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 07-17-2013 at 10:36 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 04:53 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I can tell the difference between what I like and do not like.
Which is really the only important part of tasting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages