Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the USA currently produce the best beer in the world?
Yes 26 40.63%
No 38 59.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:59 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,675,347 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about that question lately and I think we are at the top of the beer chain now.

I know it's fairly subjective but the fact that the question can even be asked without being laughed off is a testament to how far we have come as a brewing nation...baby! Sure, you could argue Belgium or maybe Germany or England but none of them are at the avant gard of the craft brewery scene, while we are. How amazingly far we've come in a generation. We can actually say we are the king of beers without it just being a marketing claim (not that Bud helps our claim to that title).

So, are we the best or is it one of the rest? And which is your favorite brewery (bonus question)?

America Has the Best Beer in the World

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 06-05-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:05 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,141,109 times
I think the Germans and Belgians have us still beat in a handful of styles but the U.S. has the best overall title.

You can't beat a good German Bock or Hefeweizen. Belgian Flanders ale and Lambics are better than any american counterpart. But I think we do Stouts, IPA, Brown ale, Porter and Barleywine better than anyone, particularly IPAs.

Right now I'd have to say my favorite brewery is Lagunitas. Followed very closely by Founders and Stone. With Bell's coming in 4th.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Hard to say. I think Belgium still takes the prize for best overall craftsmanship. But most of the innovation in styles, hop strains, and brewing processes and the sheer variety of styles available at all quality points belongs to the USA as best I can see.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,484,032 times
It's a rare occasion that I reach for a beer that is not American anymore. Will sometimes get an English or Belgian beer to mix it up.

Big fan of hoppy IPA's and have too many favorites to mention them all. But if I can't get to my local beer store that has a huge selection and am stuck with the selection at my neighborhood grocery store these are my picks: Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Deschutes Inversion IPA and Stone IPA.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:08 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,934,065 times
Currently, yes.

Even the Germans agree:

Trendsetting U.S. craft beers pour into Germany | The Japan Times

In Germany, a U.S. beer invasion - Washington Post

Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I think the Germans and Belgians have us still beat in a handful of styles but the U.S. has the best overall title.

You can't beat a good German Bock or Hefeweizen. Belgian Flanders ale and Lambics are better than any american counterpart. But I think we do Stouts, IPA, Brown ale, Porter and Barleywine better than anyone, particularly IPAs.

Right now I'd have to say my favorite brewery is Lagunitas. Followed very closely by Founders and Stone. With Bell's coming in 4th.
you hit the nail on the head.....i love hoppy brews....i've had one ipa from another country and it was just, weird....

favorite brewery? lagunitas has yet to disappoint me. everything i've had from them was great.....i've only had a few Founders, and those were good.....

Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,656,502 times
The US? For real?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
The US? For real?
Care to elaborate on why you find that so far-fetched?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:48 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,675,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Pretty good articles (although they must be from the same news source). I can't imagine how much pride these US brewers must have selling their brews in Germany. It's like selling California wines in France. It's still no surprise that most Germans, especially older ones, would still consider US beers crap but that's only because for so long they were. How things have changed...and for the better! No they to try and top us at their own game. That'll be tough. Yup. The US is for real!

Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,457,249 times
In my experience a lot of what sells to the younger crowd in Europe is American image and marketing. Go to almost any bar or pub that caters to a younger crowd and you will see a lot of the customers wearing Levi's, swigging Budweiser longnecks and smoking Marlboros. So the threshold is not high.

Are there top notch beers made in the US? Yes, of course.
Are Americans leading the world in beer innovation? Absolutely
Is there any American beer on the same plane yet with the finest Europe has to offer, such as Belgian Abbey Ales? ... Don't be silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages