Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some feedback and maybe some recommendations.

A group of friends and I are going on a vacation in October to Belgium and the Netherlands. We are getting together this Sunday to do a little celebrating and planning. As part of the gathering I have put together a 6 pack of Belgian beers that we will all sample. I am the only real beer enthusiast in the group although everyone in the group will drink beer. My hope is that by doing the sampling my friends will find out what they like and what they don't.

Here is what I have purchased:
1) Kriek Lambic (black cherry)
2) Trappist Rochefort 10
3) Trappist Rochefort 8
4) Westmalle Trappist Ale Dubbel
5) Westmalle Trappist Ale Tripel
and last but not least
6) Orval Trappist Ale

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I am looking for some feedback and maybe some recommendations.

A group of friends and I are going on a vacation in October to Belgium and the Netherlands. We are getting together this Sunday to do a little celebrating and planning. As part of the gathering I have put together a 6 pack of Belgian beers that we will all sample. I am the only real beer enthusiast in the group although everyone in the group will drink beer. My hope is that by doing the sampling my friends will find out what they like and what they don't.

Here is what I have purchased:
1) Kriek Lambic (black cherry)
2) Trappist Rochefort 10
3) Trappist Rochefort 8
4) Westmalle Trappist Ale Dubbel
5) Westmalle Trappist Ale Tripel
and last but not least
6) Orval Trappist Ale

What do you think?
Sounds tasty to me. What time do we start?

Here's a nice article about traveling to Belgium for beers:
http://www.roughguides.com/article/t...belgian-beers/

They had a limited amount of the Westvleteren (I think it was the XII) at Binny's liquor store in Chicago for $75 a six pack. I guess it must have been pretty good because it sold out in less than a day.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 08-05-2013 at 09:49 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Too much style repetition. I'd try to get a wider style variety: a dubel and a tripel abbey/trappist, a lambic, a witbier, a farmhouse/saison, a Flanders red like Duchesse de Bergogne or Rodenbach Red, etc.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
I'm one of MyTarge's traveling gang. Thanks for the input, bigguns and Drover. Appreciate the link.

I was never much of a beer drinker before I met MyTarge, and he has introduced me to some that I've really enjoyed. Though we can get Belgian beers here in the States, I'm looking forward to trying them across the pond, right where they're made.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
Rochefort is a solid choice but I think just 10 would suffice. Tripel Kameleit is always a nice choice. Fantome or Cantillon selections if you can find them would be good. Trappist beers are great but there are so many more excellent choices. Many escape me or I'm too lazy to try to spell them.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I'm one of MyTarge's traveling gang. Thanks for the input, bigguns and Drover. Appreciate the link.

I was never much of a beer drinker before I met MyTarge, and he has introduced me to some that I've really enjoyed. Though we can get Belgian beers here in the States, I'm looking forward to trying them across the pond, right where they're made.

You'll be pleased to know that some of this stuff is almost Budweiser-cheap over there. It's easy to get nice an toasty on a budget.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Sounds tasty to me. What time do we start?

Here's a nice article about traveling to Belgian for beers:
The top twenty best Belgian beers | Travel Feature | Rough Guides

They had a limited amount of the Westvleteren (I think it was the XII) at Binny's liquor store in Chicago for $75 a six pack. I guess it must have been pretty good because it sold out in less than a day.
It's not necessarily that it's that good but that it's that rare. It's not made available for export and any Westvleteren that finds its way here did not do so with the monastery's authorization.

While it was never exactly common, it used to be easier to find before the monastery started putting tighter controls on sales and distribution. I had it a couple times when it was easier to get and could be had for around $25 per four-pack. Yes it's good, but IMO it's no better than Rochefort. IMO it's only worth paying that kind of premium if you simply must brag that you've had it.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's not necessarily that it's that good but that it's that rare. It's not made available for export and any Westvleteren that finds its way here did not do so with the monastery's authorization.

While it was never exactly common, it used to be easier to find before the monastery started putting tighter controls on sales and distribution. I had it a couple times when it was easier to get and could be had for around $25 per four-pack. Yes it's good, but IMO it's no better than Rochefort. IMO it's only worth paying that kind of premium if you simply must brag that you've had it.
Nah. I like beer but not to the point of lunacy. It was a limited sale because supposedly the monks were expanding or renovated their abbey. So they decided to sell some beer to Binny's rather then have a bingo night or something. Anyways, I only remember because 75 bucks is a lot of moola for a six pack no matter how great it may be. That doesn't seem like a very monk like thing to do though. That's another thread though .

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 08-05-2013 at 10:22 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM

Sorry, I guess it was 85 bucks. But it did come with two "free" glasses.

Westvleteren XII, 'World's Best Beer,' Makes One-Time U.S. Appearance

Monks selling drugs to pimp there pad. Well, at least I bet their abbey rocks now.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 08-05-2013 at 10:32 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
I think Rochefort 10 is better. I've had several Westvleterens and while it's good, it is not worth the price or the trouble of getting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages