U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 AM

11,185 posts, read 14,066,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Limoncello is very strong, yes, being an alcohol extraction of the oil in lemon peels.

Ironically the alcohol content is lower than most liquors, typically around 60 proof, and it is meant to be consumed more as an after dinner digestif than as a shot of booze. It should be served very cold, and in very small glasses, to be sipped slowly.

Or, alternatively, in small proportions as a flavoring agent in mixed cocktails, where it's potency can be tamed by other ingredients.

This. There is really nothing else to do with it. If you don't like it, dump it, give it to a friend or serve to guests.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 11:36 AM

61,181 posts, read 44,345,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This. There is really nothing else to do with it. If you don't like it, dump it, give it to a friend or serve to guests.
I've made some shrimp and chicken dishes that would argue that point

Old 03-22-2015, 03:40 AM

5,162 posts, read 3,266,684 times
I never had it before traveling in Italy, it's very popular in Sorrento, sold in many stores there. In restaurants it was served cold, just a small glass after dinner. It was really refreshing, especially since this was in the middle of August & very hot weather. In the stores there were two versions, a clear & a milky one, both delicious. I bought some in a blue glass bottle shaped like a crescent moon, still have the bottle. I've never tasted any here in USA that was as good, even some I've made myself. Maybe you just have to be traveling to appreciate it, I don't know...

Old 03-22-2015, 08:23 AM

15,904 posts, read 1,302,581 times
Send it my way! Iced with good pour of something bubbly!

Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 AM

4,103 posts, read 6,326,243 times
Limoncello is too sweet for me. The only time I drank it willingly was when I was in Capri and already buzzed enough off of the red wine I was drinking to not care about the taste.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 AM

4,951 posts, read 4,538,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I always add a splash of it to my sauteed asparagus.

It is delicious!

Old 03-23-2015, 01:54 PM

11,185 posts, read 14,066,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've made some shrimp and chicken dishes that would argue that point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I always add a splash of it to my sauteed asparagus.

It is delicious!
Ok, I guess the OP can cook with it.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:15 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,788,730 times
Okie dokie - I made my first batch, and it was sooooo good that I made a second batch. My BF is Italian and said this recipe is better than what you get at the wine store. I'm loving it. It's only a couple of weeks old, and I hear it gets better with age. I tried freezing it, but since I think my water to alcohol ratio is kind of high, and I didn't use Everclear, it froze! Not hard as ice, but still...

So here's my recipe:
2 1/2 pounds of lemons: scrub and zest making sure you don't get too much white stuff in it.
5 cups of Vodka (the higher the alcohol content the stronger it will be. Mine was 60 proof)
Soak the zest in the vodka in a dark, cool place for a week.

Make a simple syrup:
Boil 3 or 4 cups of water
Add 3 cups of sugar to boiling water. (Amount of water depends on how sweet you want it to be)
Boil on high for one minute.
Let it cool
Add cooled simple syrup to vodka and zest. Mix well.
Strain and pour into glass jars.
Let it sit in the dark for 2-4 weeks or longer.

Make beautiful labels for your bottles and give them to friends or serve as after dinner drinks.

Good on ice cream, over custards, over shaved ice, on top of asparagus (thanks PeachSalsa!), add to seafood... or just pour and drink!

Old 03-24-2015, 08:10 PM

5,162 posts, read 3,266,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Okie dokie - I made my first batch, and it was sooooo good that I made a second batch. My BF is Italian and said this recipe is better than what you get at the wine store. I'm loving it. It's only a couple of weeks old, and I hear it gets better with age. I tried freezing it, but since I think my water to alcohol ratio is kind of high, and I didn't use Everclear, it froze! Not hard as ice, but still...

So here's my recipe:
2 1/2 pounds of lemons: scrub and zest making sure you don't get too much white stuff in it.
5 cups of Vodka (the higher the alcohol content the stronger it will be. Mine was 60 proof)
Soak the zest in the vodka in a dark, cool place for a week.

Make a simple syrup:
Boil 3 or 4 cups of water
Add 3 cups of sugar to boiling water. (Amount of water depends on how sweet you want it to be)
Boil on high for one minute.
Let it cool
Add cooled simple syrup to vodka and zest. Mix well.
Strain and pour into glass jars.
Let it sit in the dark for 2-4 weeks or longer.

Make beautiful labels for your bottles and give them to friends or serve as after dinner drinks.

Good on ice cream, over custards, over shaved ice, on top of asparagus (thanks PeachSalsa!), add to seafood... or just pour and drink!
Thanks, I'm going to try this!

Old 03-29-2015, 02:16 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,865,287 times
We started our batch for 2015 this past weekend. My "recipe" is below.

NOTE: we are aiming at our finished batch to be almost 5 gallons at about 80 proof!!

We zested about 150-175 lemons, NO PITH or juice!!

divided equally between seven 1.5 liter mason jars.

Added a combo of 151-proof everclear and 101-proof vodka to each jar and sealed.

Now the waiting game is on. I'll gently shake each jar a couple times a week for the next 4 weeks.

Phase 2:

I get a bunch of distilled water and good quality 80-proof vodka.
Cheesecloth or, even better, bags they sell to strain your own almond milk.
New and clean 5-gallon bucket (adjust to your quantity).

I pour each mason jar into one of the strainer bags so the liquid runs into the bucket.

Then to get every last bit of goodness out of the zest, I 'wash' it in water/vodka and strain it again, then discard it.

Do your own math to determine how much water/vodka to add to get to your desired proof.

Then I add room-temp simple syrup, stirring aggressively. I add enough to suit my taste.

After more stirring, I siphon off to bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages