U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:17 PM

17,086 posts, read 10,853,256 times

Advertisements

I tried it once many years ago. It wasn't an experience I had any desire to repeat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 AM

418 posts, read 532,648 times
My dh used to make gallons every year. He always used Everclear and it was wonderful stuff.
Once he made it with tangerines and people were fighting over the gift bottles he made.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:11 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,866,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
My dh used to make gallons every year. He always used Everclear and it was wonderful stuff.
Once he made it with tangerines and people were fighting over the gift bottles he made.
Would have loved to trade some of mine for some of his, sounds like he hit a good recipe!

I agree about the Everclear...high proof really seems to extract the most lemon flavor out of the zest.

Last year I was able to find some 192-proof rectified spirits from Poland and used a lot of that for the first soak.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:53 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,789,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
We started our batch for 2015 this past weekend. My "recipe" is below.

NOTE: we are aiming at our finished batch to be almost 5 gallons at about 80 proof!!

We zested about 150-175 lemons, NO PITH or juice!!

divided equally between seven 1.5 liter mason jars.

Added a combo of 151-proof everclear and 101-proof vodka to each jar and sealed.

Now the waiting game is on. I'll gently shake each jar a couple times a week for the next 4 weeks.

Phase 2:

I get a bunch of distilled water and good quality 80-proof vodka.
Cheesecloth or, even better, bags they sell to strain your own almond milk.
New and clean 5-gallon bucket (adjust to your quantity).

I pour each mason jar into one of the strainer bags so the liquid runs into the bucket.

Then to get every last bit of goodness out of the zest, I 'wash' it in water/vodka and strain it again, then discard it.

Do your own math to determine how much water/vodka to add to get to your desired proof.

Then I add room-temp simple syrup, stirring aggressively. I add enough to suit my taste.

After more stirring, I siphon off to bottle.
yeeee haaaaw! Sounds almost like moonshine!

Quote:
I just saw tangerines on sale. I may try this! I'm assuming the recipe is the same?

I served my Limoncello at a neighborhood party this weekend. Huge hit. Mine is a little sweeter and less strong than some of these recipes. People who said they didn't like Limoncello said they liked mine. So if you're one of those that hasn't liked what you got at the adult beverage store, try a recipe with lower alcohol content. I've saved one batch of lemon zest and will add more vodka and keep it longer before mixing in the sugar and water.

One little tip - try using that vodka infused lemon zest on top of fish or steamed veggies. Since I had it sitting around and had let it dry in the cheesecloth, I figured, what the hell, why not? It was really good! So unless you've squeezed and rewetted the zest, you might dry it and try it as a spice.

This is fun!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:38 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,566,104 times
Quote:
OH!! I am not a big lemon fan (it's okay in small amounts) but I do love tangerine/oranges. Did he use the standard limoncello recipe but just sub in the tangerine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages