Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,691,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's fine...but for just a few dollars more, you can get exponentially better.

I like some of the Cupcake Vineyards stuff (but hate the stupid name). Their NZ Sauvignon Blanc is nice.
Noted, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,862,931 times
I agree with the Cupcake recommendation. I like their Sauv Blanc. There are a number of Sauv Blancs in the $9-14. range I like, but an even cheaper one that's not bad is Santa maria 120. It's around $6 here in Madison WI. As per two buck chuck, I just can't drink it. Ick. I also can't drink Barefoot, although my mother continues to buy it to have at her house for when I visit. I don't know why it's such a bone of contention for her that neither my sister nor I will drink it, because it's her favorite. As for reds, I like Mark West Pinot Noir, it's cheap, and I don't normally like any red wine, but I like that one.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:47 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,877,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Recently, I had some Oyster Bay Red from New Zealand, was 12.99$ a bottle. It did not have a pencil lead finish. It was smooth, subtle fruit/tartness on the front, and a clean back end, no leady after taste.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always on the lookout for a nice red that is not too tannic or earthy.

I found something called Casillero del Diablo Malbec - cost me either $8 or $9 - that proved to be a great all around win. It's from Chile. A friend of mine tried it and liked it so much it is now one of his staples.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,243,195 times
Las lenas malbec was good for $7. Short finish but considering the price point not bad at all. Also alamos malbec is pretty inexpensive... Actually a lot of malbecs tend to be good value for the price.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always on the lookout for a nice red that is not too tannic or earthy.

I found something called Casillero del Diablo Malbec - cost me either $8 or $9 - that proved to be a great all around win. It's from Chile. A friend of mine tried it and liked it so much it is now one of his staples.

sp that same 8 or 9$ bottle would run me around 1$? i use to live in philly, that PA liquor taxation is out of this world, drive to cherry hill, nj and pick up some wine at total wine, look out for coppers though

Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,877,217 times
Quote:
sp that same 8 or 9$ bottle would run me around 1$? i use to live in philly, that PA liquor taxation is out of this world, drive to cherry hill, nj and pick up some wine at total wine, look out for coppers though
I usually buy my liquor at Total Wine in Wilmington, DE (actually Claymont right on the PA/DE border - Naaman's road - about 16 miles from my house) or at Canal's in South Jersey. However, since the "State Stores" have been coming under attack lately, they have been running some good specials: I picked up a bottle of a great Polish potato vodka I like - Luksosowa - for about $12 right in my neighborhood, less than either NJ or DE.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Recently, I had some Oyster Bay Red from New Zealand, was 12.99$ a bottle. It did not have a pencil lead finish. It was smooth, subtle fruit/tartness on the front, and a clean back end, no leady after taste.
We had a Malbec/Shiraz we got in Canada last week. The brand was Fuzion and it was about $9.00 a bottle. According to our wine store, brands sold in Canada are normally not sold in the USA. We like Mondavi when it is on sale and yes, 2 Buck Chuck really isn't bad for the price. T Joe's has a lot of decent, inexpensive wines.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I usually buy my liquor at Total Wine in Wilmington, DE (actually Claymont right on the PA/DE border - Naaman's road - about 16 miles from my house) or at Canal's in South Jersey. However, since the "State Stores" have been coming under attack lately, they have been running some good specials: I picked up a bottle of a great Polish potato vodka I like - Luksosowa - for about $12 right in my neighborhood, less than either NJ or DE.
i used to live in manayunk, liquor places, wine places and even beer was all way over priced. 50 bucks for a 24 pack of microbrew was outrageous, im glad to be out of there.

anyways, seems like youve scouted out how to do it...if you want good wine and are in nj past trenton a little ways, stop in frenchtown, dude has a great selection, its right there on main st. cant beat it, plus its a nice scenic drive.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:46 PM

88,175 posts, read 84,024,464 times
I used to get a merlot at a tapas bar in lower Manhattan years ago. It was from Chile and sold under the label La Playa. A year or so ago, it appeared in the liquor store in my area and I was surprised to find that it was under $10. They also have a cabernet sauvignon blanc that I like, and I don't often care for white wines.

La Playa Winery

Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 PM

19,375 posts, read 27,625,045 times
Quote:
-

Try the Carmenere from the same maker. Wonderful wine at about the same price.
Alamos Malbec is a staple in our house.
Hecula Monastrell (I found it at Costco) is a great bargain at about $7-8.
Any of the reds made by Villa Antinori if you want to try some Italian wines.
Rex Golaith cab if you want to go cheap for a party.

Do try your local Costco for wines. Their prices, and quality, usually beat Trader Joes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages