Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 05:42 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times

Advertisements

Spiral Chardonnay bought a Trader Joes for 7 bucks. Produced by a bulk wine producer in Napa. As good or better than some of the higher end stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 06:00 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
A Grenache/Shiraz/Mouvedre blend by C.M.S...bought it for $5.98 at a local market in Broad Ripple, Indiana

Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 AM

388 posts, read 275,693 times
I was about to write a Beringer Cab Sav (from Argentina) as a good, cheapest wine ($4 at Walmart) but the darn thing 'turned' within 2-3 days after opening. Tasted yucky last night. Some online reviews mentioned that it is a 'pop wine': Consume it soon after opening; and better served cold.
Not buying that again unless I plan to drink the whole bottle within hours of opening.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:18 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Liberty Creek Cabernet, Pinot Noir and Merlot. $7.99 each for a 1.5 L bottle at our local ShopRite (grocery chain) Liquor.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:19 PM

We tend to rely on Barefoot for the really inexpensive wines. They won't knock your socks off, but you know, they are very consistent so you can pretty well know what you're getting each time.

YEARS ago,( and that is in caps for a reason...) we were in a casual wine group where the host pulled a fast one on the group of about 30. I think we drank 4 flights that night, all blind, maybe 12-16 wines in total. After each flight we voted on our favorite, never knowing what the wines were. At the end of the night, he revealed the winner from each flight. Lo and Behold, it was Sutter Home across the board!!

Now granted, there were no wine experts in that room- just a bunch of fledglings who were trying to learn about wine in a relaxed and very social environment- but its interesting that the lowest priced wines were the preferred of the group in general. Wonder what would happen if we took the same folks and did the same with current wines from the same producers......

Old 11-19-2014, 01:43 PM

577 posts, read 899,956 times
I like "homemade style" wines which tend to have a somewhat higher alcohol content and happen to be dirt cheap. I genuinely like this stuff, not just for the pricetag! Most of the varieties I've tried are slightly sweet with a mild yeasty scent (may not sound appetizing but it works). Some names I've tried are Fortissimo & Villa Armando. All run less than $20 per large jug lol.

Little Penguin is also good, tastes like the more expensive stuff.

Some of the south american malbecs are also good even the cheaper varieties.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:00 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
We tend to rely on Barefoot for the really inexpensive wines. They won't knock your socks off, but you know, they are very consistent so you can pretty well know what you're getting each time........
I forgot to add Barefoot to my previous post. Usually get it for 9.99 for 1.5L on sale.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:33 PM

We learned that some of our favorite "cheap" wine is actually store brands! I think Little Penguin may actually be one of them! Safeway, Kroger and QFC ( Western chain) all have them. Don't know details but as I understand it, when the wineries can't use all their juice they sell to bulk vendors, who sell to the large grocers, who bottle and label under their own store brands....or something like that. Anyway, That Kroger wine you buy for $5 may be the same juice as in a Caymus bottle that costs $50!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 PM

95 posts, read 129,651 times
A few of the cheap wines I like are, Cupcake - Red Velvet or Angel Food & 14 Hands - Hot to Trot ($9.99). They are all blends, and in general nice blends.

Columbia Crest - Two Vines makes a decent cheap Chardonnay.. I think around $6.99.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:30 AM

63 posts, read 213,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Pepperwood Grove pinot noir, from Chile, $6.99 a bottle, a burgundy-style pinot with none of the barnyard/earth of some West Coast versions. And a whole lot less than a Russian River or Carneros pinot noir. Also, Wichita Falls Desperado Red, a Texas red blend of mostly petit sirah, aged at least three years before release, for $8. Fruit-forward yet toasty, with a vanilla/caramel finish.
Someone else knows my Pepperwood Grove secret!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages