Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you get blitzed/hammered/sh*tface drunk?
Once a week or more often 25 14.71%
One a month 15 8.82%
A few times a year 33 19.41%
Once every year, on average 12 7.06%
I have gotten drunk before in recent years 18 10.59%
I never get drunk now, but used to 43 25.29%
Never 24 14.12%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times

Advertisements

In college I got trashed every time I drank. I think the last time I was REALLY drunk was at least 5 years ago. I still get hangovers, but from way less beer than it used to be. I still drink to where I shouldn't drive (and don't), but that is drinking to getting trashed like I used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:53 PM

358 posts, read 512,100 times
I was expecting something different when I read the title. There is a difference between being drunk and being blitzed/hammered/sh*tface drunk.

When I drink I catch a buzz. Once in a while I get smashed, but I'm normally content to have a pleasant buzz.

Why else drink alcohol?

Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
hm, guess I'm in the minority here but no, I practically never get drunk, even slightly buzzed - even though I enjoy alcohol and have a drink several times a week. I usually have a glass of wine at night, sometimes 3 or 4 on weekends, me and DH will often split a bottle. It's usually with food though so it doesn't really 'hit' me. I've only ever been really drunk twice in my life, and I really don't enjoy it and don't handle it well - after the second time, once i've really experienced what a hangover is like (I was sick the *entire* night and next day), I became extremely careful about never going beyond that just slightly buzzed feeling - once I get it, I know that the next drink will lead to me being sick, or at least having a bad headache. The sad thing is that I don't get 'drunk' easily and even when I do, it only lasts a very short time - but I DO get sick from drinking easily, so too much alcohol for me means half an hour of 'happy' drunk at most, and then 24 hours of misery, simply not worth it. I don't even really enjoy the feeling of being drunk, or any kind of 'high' in fact, not being in control, that out-of-body experience, I don't find it pleasant. I do love the taste experience of wine though, as well as champagne and quality cocktails, and indulge in them fairly often but moderately. I can drink a fair amount without feeling it, considering I'm a 110 lb female - I was invited to one of those champagne brunches recently and they just kept refilling my glass so I actually lost track of how many glasses I had, but it must've been at least 4 or 5 - yet, maybe because it was with food, I felt absolutely nothing, not a buzz, not a headache.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:32 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I shouldn't have voted in this poll before I read what you meant by "drunk". Although I get pretty buzzed once a week--I don't get smashed to the point where I need assistance.

I saw Elizabeth Vargas tonight where she considered herself an alcoholic for drinking one glass of wine a night. In my circle, that's responsible and restrained. She also admitted showing up to an interview drunk though, which is obviously a problem -- so I find it hard to believe she got that way on one glass.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Hopefully, anyone who drinks realizes how not fun being drunk is by the time they leave college. This is clearly not the case with some people. I like a good beer/wine/bourbon/scotch as much as the next guy, but never imbibe to the point of being hammered. It just makes for a crappy evening and a painful next morning.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:22 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
If every time you drink you get drunk then you're probably an alcoholic. I think everyone who drinks at one time or another questions whether or not they are an alchy or not. There have been times where I just planned on having a few pints with friends and before the night is over I've had close to 10. That maybe happens twice a year though.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:31 PM

145 posts, read 256,948 times
I get hammered a few times a year, when I was younger it used to be way more often. I now prefer to enjoy alcohol and get a little relaxed and buzzed feeling, rather than drunk till the point I can't walk anymore. I got arrested and put in the drunk tank one time for public intox and that kind of turned me off from getting hammered for a long time.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I don't approve of these depressing threads ...Or, mind your own business?
Waa, and take your own advice.

With that out of the way, to the op...

I get drunk most every time I drink. And about every third time, I come close to killing myself of alcohol poisoning. This is why I've found a way to stay sober and intend to never drink booze nor get high with other substances again until I do die.

But hats off to those who can control and enjoy booze.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
Not anymore. I used to in my twenties. What stopped me was the friggin hangovers; I hated that sickly feeling.
I drink socially, which isn't often because I don't go anywhere. When I do go out, I limit myself to one drink.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:46 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,885,583 times
I'd say I get drunk once every other year... And I don't mean making a bumbling fool outta myself drunk... I mean I drank too much at one time, and I knew it. I find no pleasure in becoming completely drunk. It leads to too many problems, and there are a fair number of alcoholics in my family, so we don't need more.

I enjoy having a couple beers in one sitting. Heck, I might go for a third on the weekend. 4 is reserved for drinking with long time friends, and only on special occasions. 6 beers... That means everyone is having a good time, the brews are flying, I'm not driving and I'm not working the next day. This might happen once or twice a year.

I find no additional pleasure in becoming too far gone drunk. None whatsoever. Even on the sixth beer... What am I really gaining? I enjoy drinking, and I want to continue to enjoy drinking well into my old age. I have no interest in begging for a liver transplant or signing a pledge to never touch a drop of booze again.

What's interesting... My first dance with alcohol, I was 16. My friend's idiot dad bought us a case of Budweiser. I drank about half of them that night. I could have killed myself for all I know. The first half of the night way great. The second half was just bizarre. I'm surprised I didn't throw up, although I did plenty of that the next morning. So to this day, I ponder the appeal in that type of drunken experience. How far gone does your life have to be to find that pleasurable or desirable? Reality must be a real nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages