Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
In NYC it goes for more than that. One problem is that not everyone likes Scotch, but if the giftee likes Scotch, blends are a safer bet than single malts. If the giftee is a Scotch drinker and open to a little adventure, I recommend Highland Park. It's a genuine single malt with a relatively gentle flavor profile. It's one of my favorite nectars, as is Edradour.
Yeah, the only place we've gotten a price that good on Johnnie Walker Blue Label has been duty free shopping in the UK. I'd personally not gift someone with Scotch, not knowing if they're Scotch drinkers or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 11:41 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
Get him a really nice flashlight to help him find his way around the wine cellar.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:46 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,914 times
Get him a nice bottle of port (runs $40-$60 for a good one), some roasted nuts, and a DVD of the documentary Sommelier.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The bad thing about choosing a wine for someone is you cannot tell by price whether or not it will be good. I have tried to find some fabulous wines I had at a restaurant, only to be disappointed when I tracked it down. If you get a fine bottle of liquor, you can be sure of consistency.
An unfortunate truth of wines is that they can be very inconsistent, whether from year-to-year or within a bin. A few years back I visited my sister for Christmas, and she took us to the winery she now works at. Bought a 2005 tempranillo that was truly outstanding at the winery, popped it open a year later, and the cork was bad. (A good argument for screwcaps or synthetic corks.) Wine can be thought of being very organic, in the true sense of the word, not how the word's used these days. As such it can vary year-to-year. Very weather dependent. On the other hand, distilled spirits or liquors (bourbon and whiskey, gin, tequila, liqueurs, and especially vodka) are generally consistent no matter what. Because they are manufactured they are more a product of the distiller's art and science than the soil and weather. Consequently, hard liquor generally tastes the same, it's what the distiller does that makes that batch unique. With wine, a Willamette Valley pinot noir is much different than a Russian River or Burgundy pinot noir, reflecting the locale it's grown in, as well as the winemaker's art and skill.

I like the previous post suggesting port or sherry... much more consistent than a vintage wine. I've even had a very nice muscadine port.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,059 times
I don't know too much about wines but I do agree that there are some excellent values in port and sherry. I actually visited the Gonzalez Byass sherry bodega in Jerez last year and got a 30 year old solera bottling of a palo cortado sherry for around 60 bucks. Now, what would an equivalent aged bottle of almost any other wine cost? At least 3 times as much probably. More importantly is that it was some excellent stuff too.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10040.aspx

Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post
Could you please give me some examples of a fine liquor? Frankly I thought liquor is a common name for alcoholic beverages.
People often refer to spirits as hard liquor--these are drinks that typically have 40% alcohol or higher, such as rum, whiskey, tequila, vodka, etc.

For a fine spirit, I would suggest:
Lagavulin 12 (scotch--very, very smoky)
Tequila Ocho Reposado
Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon

There is a huge variety of wines that you could get in the ~$100 range. I might suggest these 2 wines as a nice gift pair that covers pretty broad ground:

Collard-Picard "Dom Picard" Brut Blanc de Blancs Champagne - SKU 1051928
2008 La Fortuna Brunello di Montalcino - SKU 1134266

Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
I'd go with a nice bourbon, you should be able to get a 750ml bottle for under $60.

If you know he likes scotch, go with that. But bourbon is a solid choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages