Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 AM

151 posts, read 258,188 times

Advertisements

I am an Engineer supporting this Sales Manager at my company and he gives me a gift ($50 to $100) every year in the last 7 years thanking me for my service. His advice, support and recommendation to the upper management has helped out my career tremendously. I have never given him anything and with my recent promotion, I want to use the chance to thank him. He likes alcohol and has a big wine rack in his basement. The only problem is that I am a non drinker and has absolutely no idea what to get for him. I can spend around ~$100 for something. Please give me some recommendations.

Thanks,

Last edited by MattNguyen; 01-10-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
While I am quite the afficianado of fine wines, my tastes run more toward less than $30 a bottle... the most I ever spent was a cab/temp blend that was $59. So I texted my sister who's an assistant winemaker in California. She suggested Opus One. About $100 a bottle for a 2010 vintage. Too much for my liking (and hers, the most expensive wine she has where she works is $28 for a Super Tuscan blend, from the Temecula area in SoCal). Another higher-end wine she suggested is from Penfolds, specifically 2010 Bin 407, about $60. For historical appeal there's Chateau Montelena, featured in the movie "Bottle Shock". Early 2000's vintages are around $70, although the one and only time I was there (January 2010) I wasn't impressed for the $$$.

A decent blend that my wife really likes is Girard Artistry. About $40 a bottle retail, and available at a lot of retailers and on-line, if you live in a state that allows delivery (such as where I currently live which does not allow it).

Old 01-10-2014, 01:26 PM

Thank you Slug. A very good list. I will try to get the Opus One 2010. May be from BevMo. Maybe the Chateau Montelena if I can't fine the Opus One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
While I am quite the afficianado of fine wines, my tastes run more toward less than $30 a bottle... the most I ever spent was a cab/temp blend that was $59. So I texted my sister who's an assistant winemaker in California. She suggested Opus One. About $100 a bottle for a 2010 vintage. Too much for my liking (and hers, the most expensive wine she has where she works is $28 for a Super Tuscan blend, from the Temecula area in SoCal). Another higher-end wine she suggested is from Penfolds, specifically 2010 Bin 407, about $60. For historical appeal there's Chateau Montelena, featured in the movie "Bottle Shock". Early 2000's vintages are around $70, although the one and only time I was there (January 2010) I wasn't impressed for the $$$.

A decent blend that my wife really likes is Girard Artistry. About $40 a bottle retail, and available at a lot of retailers and on-line, if you live in a state that allows delivery (such as where I currently live which does not allow it).

Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Harrier knows of a good wine gift company, but he isn't sure if the TOS allows him to link to the website.

PM Harrier and he will give you the info.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
If you can go up to $150. a very impressive gift would be a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
While my recommendations were for fairly available ~$100 wines, there are a number of other choices, including distilled spirits such as is recommended above. I enjoy a fine tequila, not the $7 stuff that college kids slam all at once or that ends up in a margarita. It's meant to be savored, especially a Highland Añejo (Chinaco comes to mind) at $60 a bottle. Reposado tequilas haven't aged as long and keep the agave characteristics better, and are cheaper. Another option: a good bourbon. I'm not a bourbon drinker but one I do enjoy is Woodford Reserve.

For wines, a good source of wine info is a boutique wine shop. A college of knowledge (usually), but they will likely also try to sell you from their stock.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
The bad thing about choosing a wine for someone is you cannot tell by price whether or not it will be good. I have tried to find some fabulous wines I had at a restaurant, only to be disappointed when I tracked it down. If you get a fine bottle of liquor, you can be sure of consistency.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Could you please give me some examples of a fine liquor? Frankly I thought liquor is a common name for alcoholic beverages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The bad thing about choosing a wine for someone is you cannot tell by price whether or not it will be good. I have tried to find some fabulous wines I had at a restaurant, only to be disappointed when I tracked it down. If you get a fine bottle of liquor, you can be sure of consistency.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:33 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you can go up to $150. a very impressive gift would be a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue.
In NYC it goes for more than that. One problem is that not everyone likes Scotch, but if the giftee likes Scotch, blends are a safer bet than single malts. If the giftee is a Scotch drinker and open to a little adventure, I recommend Highland Park. It's a genuine single malt with a relatively gentle flavor profile. It's one of my favorite nectars, as is Edradour.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
If all you know is that he's a wine lover, I wouldn't necessarily make the leap to other liquors/spirits. Perhaps wine accoutrements/accessories would be a route to go...a nice decanter or the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages