Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:07 PM

22 posts, read 40,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Because of the volume they make, Sam Adams isn't considered as craft beer by the traditional standard of making <2M BBL per year. Who cares. I like a lot of the beers Sam makes.

The Brewers Association changed it to <6 million bbl per year a couple of years ago so Sam Adams is still considered craft. Leinenkugel isn't considered craft due to being owned by SABMiller.

Right now I drink my share of Cantillon. When I move back to Dover, DE this summer from Germany I imagine it will be Dogfish Head because of location. Most likely DFH 60 minute IPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:22 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Because of the volume they make, Sam Adams isn't considered as craft beer by the traditional standard of making <2M BBL per year. Who cares. I like a lot of the beers Sam makes.
I think there is a huge difference between Sam Adams and Leinenkugel.

Sam Adams is one of the first craft breweries that has grown quite large (Sierra Nevada is another one) while not losing their craft roots. They still put out seasonals and experimentals.....they still work with smaller craft breweries in a positive fashion and is owned by it's founder. I am not a huge larger fan....but I'll drink a SA over a Bud anyway of the week, and have enjoyed watching them develop their IPA - some good...some that missed a bit....but they have a winner with Rebel.

Leinenkugel was a small brewery that sold out to MillerCoors, isn't brewed in the same fashion, isn't controlled in anyway by the former owners and is nothing but a corporate brand at this point.

The two simply can not be compared. Boston Brewing is a large craft brewery. Leinenkugel is a brand of a multi-national corporation.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I think there is a huge difference between Sam Adams and Leinenkugel.

Sam Adams is one of the first craft breweries that has grown quite large (Sierra Nevada is another one) while not losing their craft roots. They still put out seasonals and experimentals.....they still work with smaller craft breweries in a positive fashion and is owned by it's founder. I am not a huge larger fan....but I'll drink a SA over a Bud anyway of the week, and have enjoyed watching them develop their IPA - some good...some that missed a bit....but they have a winner with Rebel.

Leinenkugel was a small brewery that sold out to MillerCoors, isn't brewed in the same fashion, isn't controlled in anyway by the former owners and is nothing but a corporate brand at this point.

The two simply can not be compared. Boston Brewing is a large craft brewery. Leinenkugel is a brand of a multi-national corporation.
I think their Boston Ale is much better tasting than Boston Lager. Their IPA offerings? I thought Latitude 48 was OK, but Whitewater was undrinkable as far as I'm concerned. All I could taste was hops. It tasted like my house smells on brew day. Haven't tried Rebel yet.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
To give Sam Adams credit, they were one of the first and for me personally the gateway drug to the world of craft beer. Plus if you go to a store, bar or restaurant with a tiny selection of beer, it's a good chance that they will at least have a few Sam Adams hidden someplace. For those of you who don't remember what the beer selection looked like 20 years ago at most grocery stores, Sam Adams was almost heaven sent.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Dale's Pale Ale
Little Yellow Pils
two of my favorites at the moment

Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,208 times
Quote:
I think their Boston Ale is much better tasting than Boston Lager. Their IPA offerings? I thought Latitude 48 was OK, but Whitewater was undrinkable as far as I'm concerned. All I could taste was hops. It tasted like my house smells on brew day. Haven't tried Rebel yet.
This! Can't find the ale anymore though.

The Rebel is ok but there's much better IPAs like Sierra Nevada and Doghead fish. My one beer that i totally love from SA is their Alpine Spring...super refreshing. I think they replaced it though.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
This! Can't find the ale anymore though.

The Rebel is ok but there's much better IPAs like Sierra Nevada and Doghead fish. My one beer that i totally love from SA is their Alpine Spring...super refreshing. I think they replaced it though.
Yeah, I liked Alpine Spring too. Other summer goodies from old Sam include Cold Snap, Escape Route, and Porch Rocker. I made a batch of Porch Rocker clone last year that turned out so good I made it again this year.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Because it's not any longer.
The brewery itself is still small and it still has fairly limited distribution.

And, perhaps most importantly, it still tastes the same as it did prior to gaining a parent corporation. It's also far superior in taste to, say, Sam Adams. But that, obiously, is a matter of opinion.

That said, in the realm of little guys who have retained independent ownership, I'd have to go with New Glarus Brewing Co. Kansas City's Boulevard Brewing Co. Has long been a favorite, with their popular Unfiltered Wheat, but they also sold out their independent status this past year and are now owned by Duvel.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 05-12-2014 at 04:13 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I am a huge fan of IPAs, Double IPAs and IIPAs. I want the hops. Lat 48 was more a PA in my book..but very drinkable....Whitewater had more hops (thought too much for you!) but I didn't like the malts they used...a white IPA is going to be much harder to get right than a regular one anyway.

Do try Rebel if you get the chance. It's a bit hoppier than Lat 48, but very balanced. Not as good as say Belle's Two-Hearted, but a fine IPA...and being Sam's, sometimes a bit easier to find in a store than others.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The brewery itself is still small and it still has fairly limited distribution.

And, perhaps most importantly, it still tastes the same as it did prior to gaining a parent corporation. It's also far superior in taste to, say, Sam Adams. But that, obiously, is a matter of opinion.

That said, in the realm of little guys who have retained independent ownership, I'd have to go with New Glarus Brewing Co. Kansas City's Boulevard Brewing Co. Has long been a favorite, with their popular Unfiltered Wheat, but they also sold out their independent status this past year and are now owned by Duvel.
You can get Leinenkugel's in just about every state.
You can't get New Glarus out of Wisconsin....though they are an amazing brewery (have reservations for their tour this coming August...they are booked that far ahead for most dates.)

As for Leinenkugel they even admit, that MillerCoors changed the recipes and let's be honest, the new ones just added artificial fruit flavors to a base beer.

Compare their 'berry' beer to New Glarus's Raspberry Tart and tell me me which is a better beer.

Go ahead and drink Leinenkugel's....glad you like it....but don't pretend it's a craft beer at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages