Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM

194 posts, read 252,222 times

Advertisements

I love an Old Tom or two in the night, but can only take a few Bishop's Fingers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 12:05 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Because of the volume they make, Sam Adams isn't considered as craft beer by the traditional standard of making <2M BBL per year. Who cares. I like a lot of the beers Sam makes.
Same here. I have a hard time finding something as good or as reliable as Sam Adams Lager.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 PM

35 posts, read 36,855 times
Anchor Steam, without a doubt.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:20 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Coldsmoke Scottish Ale from Kettlehouse Brewing in Missoula MT.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:09 AM

126 posts, read 156,545 times
Brooklyn Weiss, Sierra Torpedo

Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
Living in Tampa, I'm a huge Cigar City Brewing fan...especially the brown ales (Cubano Espresso Brown Ale so good).

Last night I had a brew from Bear Republic called Peter Brown and it was delicious...so smooth. I'll be looking out for it more often now.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinghawkeye View Post
The Brewers Association changed it to <6 million bbl per year a couple of years ago so Sam Adams is still considered craft. Leinenkugel isn't considered craft due to being owned by SABMiller.

Right now I drink my share of Cantillon. When I move back to Dover, DE this summer from Germany I imagine it will be Dogfish Head because of location. Most likely DFH 60 minute IPA.
I thought I posted in this thread? I know I definitely wrote a response, but perhaps I did not hit "submit"

I am at odds with the BA. On one hand it is currently being run by my home-brew guru Charlie Papazian. On the other, it is a paid-for association (that is member breweries must pay to join the association). The BA claims they did not create the term "craft beer" but there are many in the "home-brew world" who state otherwise. Sam Adams blew past "micro brew" in terms of annual production since nearly day one. Sierra Nevada and nearly all other original micros are also way past the micro destination (Sam Adams produces 2.5M barrels annually, Sierra Nevada roughly 750K annually). In order to continue representing "micro brews" a new designation had to be established. And that is where the term craft beer comes in as Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, et. al. became too large to be micros yet were still too small to be marcos. So the BA not only created the term "craft beer", they also upped the annual production.

The BA has also, in more recent times, changed their definition of craft beer to now include breweries that are only at least 75% independently owned (so Goose Island, Red Hook, perhaps Shock Top and Blue Moon and a bunch of others that contract macros to do their brewing) can still be designated as craft; and, that the designation of "traditional brewing ingredients" be lifted to now include adjunct brewers. So, now, Yuengling is a member of the craft beer movement. Perhaps Shiner, too. Ironically, brewers in the U.S. and England have a long history of using adjuncts. Perhaps also ironic, the BA allows Coor's, AB, and Pabst to participate in the Great American Beer Festival.

Leinnie's was a regional beer until perhaps three years ago. Historically, most breweries were and breweries are today as well. As examples Old Style is hard to find outside of the upper Midwest, Lucky Lager was largely a Californian thing, Olympia pretty much Washington, and so on. And these are all considered macros.

For what it is worth I don't think that many people outside of Wisconsin and Minnesota knew that Leinenkugel's even existed until a few years ago.

Dogfish Head 60 Minute is probably my current most favorite beer.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,792 times
Last week i tried this beer called "Get offa that brown" by a local LA brewery called Golden Road Brewery..it was really good.

It was a brown ale, a lot of flavor, and not bitter for you IPA-hating folks. (I love IPA though)

Old 09-05-2014, 10:18 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Hop Drop N Roll (NoDa Brewing)

Old 09-10-2014, 07:09 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times
Budweiser! Oops, sorry! I thought the question was, "what is your favorite crap beer"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages