Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 10:10 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times

Advertisements

Went out and grabbed a Lagunitas IPA last night from a local sports bar. Like most bars in my area, the tap selection is 90% McBrew Light and one handle of a craft beer. This morning the end result has not been pleasant, is it something about draft beer in my area? The theory that I am thinking about is that hardly anyone else is drinking the one craft beer on tap, so the beer is sitting around and getting funky. At another sports bar I had to send the beer back it tasted so bad.

Never really had this issue when I lived in the beer-centric northwest and frequented various micro-breweries.

Guess I need to stick to bottled beer when I go out to a sports bar or other local tavern that is not a micro-brewery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 10:19 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
The sports bar may not be getting their taps and lines cleaned properly.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:43 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Went out and grabbed a Lagunitas IPA last night from a local sports bar. Like most bars in my area, the tap selection is 90% McBrew Light and one handle of a craft beer. This morning the end result has not been pleasant, is it something about draft beer in my area? The theory that I am thinking about is that hardly anyone else is drinking the one craft beer on tap, so the beer is sitting around and getting funky. At another sports bar I had to send the beer back it tasted so bad.

Never really had this issue when I lived in the beer-centric northwest and frequented various micro-breweries.

Guess I need to stick to bottled beer when I go out to a sports bar or other local tavern that is not a micro-brewery.
Do you have the same stomach problem if you drink a Miller Lite or Coors Light on tap? That would be a good test.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Do you have the same stomach problem if you drink a Miller Lite or Coors Light on tap? That would be a good test.
Even in college I could not stand the taste of those beers, so it is a rare sight to see me drink that swill. The few times I have in the last year, have not had an issue. Really think that many of the local hole in the wall bars and sports bars around here just don't sell much out of the one keg of craft beer they carry. So who knows what is lurking in the lines or growing in the keg. Should have known better when I saw every other guy in the bar with colored water sitting in front of them that asking for a draft craft beer was risky. Next time I go back will stick with bottled beer.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:01 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,473,008 times
I love trying all the craft beers and IPA's are my favorites but it is rare when I order draft. Bottled is always my first choice.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:38 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,844 times
Quote:

It's the bars problem....not the beer.....not even the bar's selection of beer.

They need to clean their lines better. We had one local place that we had to stop going to, despite them having a great selection, because they just didn't clean them often enough. It wouldn't matter if it's a bar that only has corporate beers or all micro-brews....cleanliness is cleanliness.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:10 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
Yeah, the lines can get pretty gross if they aren't maintained, and far too many places don't maintain their lines properly. A friend of mine owns a tap system maintenance company and he's shown me some pretty scary photos of uncleaned taps from new clients - he's even demanded that they replace all the lines or else he won't continue to work with them. There will literally be sludge dripping out of the lines. Once you've smelled that sludge you can discern the flavor in a beer that's gone through some skanky lines.

The problem is even worse if you're drinking a beer that doesn't get served a lot, and in places that mostly sell mass produced beers the micro brews kegs may be many months old.

Last edited by Attrill; 05-14-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Yeah, the lines can get pretty gross if they aren't maintained, and far too many places don't maintain their lines properly. A friend of mine owns a tap system maintenance company and he's shown me some pretty scary photos of uncleaned taps from new clients - he's even demanded that they replace all the lines or else he won't continue to work with them. There will literally be sludge dripping out of the lines. Once you've smelled that sludge you can discern the flavor in a beer that's gone through some skanky lines.

The problem is even worse if you're drinking a beer that doesn't get served a lot, and in places that mostly sell mass produced beers the micro brews kegs may be many months old.
This kind of backs up my theory.

I shot the bar in question an email about their tap lines, kept it nice & brief and promised not to post on Yelp. To their credit when I checked my bank account this morning they had reversed the charges.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:

I'm finding that the older I get the harder to drink beer in general. The phrase "through a screen door at 5 paces" is an apt description of the END result I would add that a recent trip to Germany did NOT have this result and I partook heavily in the local brews there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages