Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed some wine last night at a friend's house. After having a glass from a newly-opened bottle, he skipped the "breathing" and decanting rituals, and poured the next glass through an acrylic aerator, of a type I had not encountered before. Since we had each had a glass from a newly-opened bottle, we were able to compare. We both concluded that the aerated wine was noticeably better-tasting.

Have other Forum members experienced this? I would appreciate comments.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Yes wine tastes better through the aerator. That's why people keep buying them

Old 05-17-2014, 12:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
The advantage of an aerator is that you can "decant" glass by glass instead of the whole bottle at once. This is a benefit if you plan to drink the rest of the bottle over the next couple days. Oxygenation speeds the degradation of wine. So that double-decanted Pinot will taste tired & faded in 2 days while if it were aerated with the gadget it would still be fairly fresh.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I enjoyed some wine last night at a friend's house. After having a glass from a newly-opened bottle, he skipped the "breathing" and decanting rituals, and poured the next glass through an acrylic aerator, of a type I had not encountered before. Since we had each had a glass from a newly-opened bottle, we were able to compare. We both concluded that the aerated wine was noticeably better-tasting.

Have other Forum members experienced this? I would appreciate comments.

Thanks!
An aerator aims to let the wine "breath" without taking the time to wait with wine in the glass/in a decanter (it basically does so by exposing more of the wine directly to air as you pour). It is particularly effective, I think, if you plan on pouring a young bottle all at once for service. The pro is that the wine still opens up and you don't have to wait for it.

There are a couple of cons: 1) it won't remove any sediment, 2) it may be too harsh for older wines, and 3) you don't get a chance to taste the wine at different stages of aeration as you might if you drunk the bottle over the course of some time with just one other person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages