Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDoeUK View Post
Everything gin here. What gins do you like? Which don't you enjoy? Favorites?
Gin is something I have never liked. I've sampled pretty much most of them (was a bartender for many years) but nope...never picked any sort of liking for it.

I have a good friend that loves Beefeater's and orange juice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:04 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
Default Whoo! Whoo!

Alright, one of my favorite subjects.

First, I would suggest someone who likes gin, try "Genever", especially if you have a chance to travel to Belgium or the Netherlands. Genever (or jenever) was the original form of gin and a good genever is awesome stuff (yummmm). Oude Bokma and Wissels are really exceptional. I would avoid Bols genever.

As far gin, a gin and tonic with a lime wedge has been my favorite drink for many, many years. I will also drink a martini at times.

In my cabinet today (I finished my Hendricks last week and have not purchased any more), I have the following gins;

Ten
Rangpur
Bombay Saphire
NoLets
Tanqueray
Bluecoat

I am not a big fan of New Amsterdam or Beefeaters, but will drink them. The one gin I really did not like was "Ransom Old Tom Gin".

Old 08-21-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Alright, one of my favorite subjects.

First, I would suggest someone who likes gin, try "Genever", especially if you have a chance to travel to Belgium or the Netherlands. Genever (or jenever) was the original form of gin and a good genever is awesome stuff (yummmm). Oude Bokma and Wissels are really exceptional. I would avoid Bols genever.

As far gin, a gin and tonic with a lime wedge has been my favorite drink for many, many years. I will also drink a martini at times.

In my cabinet today (I finished my Hendricks last week and have not purchased any more), I have the following gins;

Ten
Rangpur
Bombay Saphire
NoLets
Tanqueray
Bluecoat

I am not a big fan of New Amsterdam or Beefeaters, but will drink them. The one gin I really did not like was "Ransom Old Tom Gin".
Ok. I just finished of the NoLets (silver) and discovered a bottle I missed in the list above. It is Bilberry Black Hearts Gin from the Journeyman Distillery. I purchased this gin after a tour of the distillery in southern Michigan a few months ago. It is a decent gin, which probably is better suited for a martini than a gin and tonic.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:

I enjoy a good gin n' tonic from time to time. My favorites are Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:46 PM

100 posts, read 128,514 times
Quote:
Mostly I am a brown liquor kind of guy but every so often, especially before a nice steak, I have an urge for a Martini or better yet a Gibson. Weapon of choice would be Bombay Saphire or Plymouth if ya got it.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Love gimlets and G&T the most, and I'll drink a gin martini (dirty, please, with bleu cheese stuffed olive) over a vodka martini any day.

Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire are my liquor store picks, but there is a local craft distillery here that does small batches of gin and aquavit that are excellent and herb-y.

Going to visit my SIL and BIL in the UK in a few months, and skyping with her, she mentioned that my BIL has been in the Netherlands for work, and picked up some genever for us to try when we arrive.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Love gimlets and G&T the most, and I'll drink a gin martini (dirty, please, with bleu cheese stuffed olive) over a vodka martini any day.

Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire are my liquor store picks, but there is a local craft distillery here that does small batches of gin and aquavit that are excellent and herb-y.

Going to visit my SIL and BIL in the UK in a few months, and skyping with her, she mentioned that my BIL has been in the Netherlands for work, and picked up some genever for us to try when we arrive.
Let me know how you like the genever.

Bye the way, what is the name of the craft brewery that makes the small batches of gin and aquavit?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 AM

Default The best genever I have tasted!

This is a picture of some genever we tried on our trip to Belgium last year. We made a special trip to the genever festival in Hasselt Belgium. In our opinion this was the best genever of the festival.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
My go to is Tanqueray or Tang Rangpur with tonic.

I also drink Gin and ginger, for this Bombay Sapphire works better.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Ahh Gin. A criminally underrated spirit. I even enjoy a low-end gin like Seagrams with a good quality Tonic water. Such a great cocktail.

BTW, I absolutely hate Vodka martini's. If your going to use vodka save it for the flavored martini's like appletini, etc. Classic martini's should be made with Gin!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages