Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:02 PM

296 posts, read 644,781 times

Advertisements

I just picked up a sixer of Leinenkugels snowdrift vanilla porter, I like stouts and porters during this cold weather, The snowdrift vanilla porter was 6.99 for the sixer and a nice smooth, porter, not bitter with hints of vanilla and coconut, excellent beer for the price in my opinion. Any other recommendations for this type of beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 06:17 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graterdaze View Post
I just picked up a sixer of Leinenkugels snowdrift vanilla porter, I like stouts and porters during this cold weather, The snowdrift vanilla porter was 6.99 for the sixer and a nice smooth, porter, not bitter with hints of vanilla and coconut, excellent beer for the price in my opinion. Any other recommendations for this type of beer.
I will add a couple. Shake Chocolate Porter from Boulder Beer is surprisingly good, if you like chocolate porters. It is a real Chocolate bomb.

I like Stone Smoked Porter, especially when I can find a bomber of it with Vanilla Beans or the Chipoltle Pepper version... which is... interesting.

Black Butte Porter must get a mention, of course. Smooth drinkable, chocolate and coffee notes, slight bitterness that did not linger on tongue

Big Sky Brewing has a seasonal Camp Robber Coffee Porter. Roasted malt character, a nice hoppiness, subtle but ever present, and of course, big coffee flavor.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I will add a couple. Shake Chocolate Porter from Boulder Beer is surprisingly good, if you like chocolate porters. It is a real Chocolate bomb.

I like Stone Smoked Porter, especially when I can find a bomber of it with Vanilla Beans or the Chipoltle Pepper version... which is... interesting.

Black Butte Porter must get a mention, of course. Smooth drinkable, chocolate and coffee notes, slight bitterness that did not linger on tongue

Big Sky Brewing has a seasonal Camp Robber Coffee Porter. Roasted malt character, a nice hoppiness, subtle but ever present, and of course, big coffee flavor.
I love a good chocolate porter to make a float for dessert...not a fan of the heavily coffeed ones...which seem rather ubiquitous.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I love a good chocolate porter to make a float for dessert...not a fan of the heavily coffeed ones...which seem rather ubiquitous.
I myself am a fan of the coffee flavored ones, but I look more for coffee stouts or coffee-milk stouts for coffee flavor. Porters I usually look for chocolate, caramel, vanilla, mocha etc.... That reminds me, Rogue makes a pretty decent Mocha Porter.

I have only tried the float idea once with Nitro Milk Stout, that was incredible!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
I myself am a fan of the coffee flavored ones, but I look more for coffee stouts or coffee-milk stouts for coffee flavor. Porters I usually look for chocolate, caramel, vanilla, mocha etc.... That reminds me, Rogue makes a pretty decent Mocha Porter.

I have only tried the float idea once with Nitro Milk Stout, that was incredible!
Stouts really also good for floats...try a salted carmel ice cream in a milk stout. ..yummmy.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:13 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,840 times
Jacob Leinenkugel's is actually a quality commercial brew.

I always enjoyed their Summer Shandy's from the C02 keg. Don't really care if they are owned by INBEV.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Jacob Leinenkugel's is actually a quality commercial brew.

I always enjoyed their Summer Shandy's from the C02 keg. Don't really care if they are owned by INBEV.
Owned by Miller, which I don't have a problem with either.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:

hmm, maybe I will try that, it is a nice beer...smooth. The only time I made a float was with Yeti Imperial Stout. I didn't love it, it was a bit too imperial for ice cream, so maybe Left hand will work.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
hmm, maybe I will try that, it is a nice beer...smooth. The only time I made a float was with Yeti Imperial Stout. I didn't love it, it was a bit too imperial for ice cream, so maybe Left hand will work.
Yup, I think what makes the Nitro Milk Stout so good for it is the high levels of creaminess and sweetness combined with low alcohol taste. The float is just making a desert beer more deserty (sp?). Lol.

I have never tried it with an imperial before... hmmm... I do have some Speedway Imperial Stout in the fridge... I may need to go buy some ice cream, ha ha.

I usually drink my beers straight though. I have only tried the float once.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Yup, I think what makes the Nitro Milk Stout so good for it is the high levels of creaminess and sweetness combined with low alcohol taste. The float is just making a desert beer more deserty (sp?). Lol.

I have never tried it with an imperial before... hmmm... I do have some Speedway Imperial Stout in the fridge... I may need to go buy some ice cream, ha ha.

I usually drink my beers straight though. I have only tried the float once.
Yeah, that was the only float I made, didn't like it so didn't try again.

One thing I have on occasion added to beer, depending on the beer and how hot is is outside, is lemonade. Beer, lemonade, and ice is good on a super hot day. I find it works best with lighter lagers (e.g. not bock) and wheat beers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages