Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 01:49 AM

95 posts, read 129,692 times

Advertisements

I honestly think... for the most part, this is a bartenders nightmare! Especially if you are a female customer.

However, my statement is honestly to anyone who is actually stupid enough to think they can get something for free.. without essentially earning it.

Example:
A few years ago, I was working an unusually slow Thursday night. I see 3 giddy girls come into my bar. I knew right away.. someone just turned 21... ((internal sigh)).

Friend: EEEeeeEEE my friend just turned 21.. does she get a free drink?!?!?!?!!?!
Me: No, we do not give away free drinks, we do however give you a free Birthday Cake shot, with the purchase of another drink. ((smile))
Bday Girl: ohhhhkeeeeeyyyyyy, ummmmmmm, I want something super yummy!!!!
Me: Ok.. well what sort of flavors do you like?
Bday Girl: ummmmmm something fruity!!!!
Me: Alright ((like I could not have guessed that))
-- as I start mixing her a fruity cocktail, with pizazz.. tossing bottles and using a shaker to give her the full experience...
Bday Girl: Make it extra strong mmmkay! ((giggle giggle))
Me: Would you like a double?
Bday Girl: No... just strong... kaaayyyyy
Me: ((still making drink)) Would you like some a birthday present?
Bday Girl: EeeeeEEEe Yessss!!!!
Me: Ok.. well it comes in the form of advice. I am telling you this.. because you look like the kind of girl who plans of having a GREAT time now that you are 21. If you are going to be successful in the bar scene.. there are some things you are going to need to know. They are really important.. and they will probably land you some free drinks here and there, strong drinks, and faster service... ready?!
Bday Girl: ((wide eyed and excited)) Yes!!!!
Me: So here is the deal... first of all, always be nice to your bartender. They don't have to serve you if they don't want to. See that sign.. its true.. I don't have to serve you, if I think you are a horses ass. I am well with in my rights to kick you out, cut you off, or simply decide I don't like the way you look. Second, ALWAYS tip well.. this leads to potential free drinks, faster service and likely a stronger drink than the average. Next, don't complain that your drink isn't strong enough. I can tell you this right now.. bartending is a craft and most bartenders take pride in their craft. Telling them that they made a very basic drink like crap.. will NEVER get you anything but another crappy drink. Lastly... don't ask for anything you are not willing to pay for. Bartenders really hate it when you say... "make mine extra strong" or anything that runs along the lines of.. "give me something for free". ((her face drops a little)) For one... over pouring, is actually stealing and I can lose my job over it. Two.. if I am going to over pour.. I am potentially risking my job.. I am not going to do it for just anyone. I am going to do it for those who tip well. Lastly, every single drink I make, I usually over pour a little. At the very least it will be made as it should. So... before having a single drink from me.. suggesting that my pour is not good enough is only going to get you started off on the wrong foot.

All that being said, be nice, don't ask for crazy complex drinks that take up my time in a busy bar, know what you want when you get to the bartop if it is busy, say thank you, and tip well... and if you can't tip well. At the least.. tip $1 per drink ordered. Birthday girl.. this will get you leaps and bounds in the bar scene!

Bday Girl: ((considers me for a min, and smiles)) Wow.. that was very blunt, but informative. You are right.. I plan on going out all weekend and I had no idea. So... if I do all of those things.. I could maybe get free drinks?
Me: Yes.. if you are a regular, I recognize you and know that you are always nice to me, patient, and tip well. When I screw up a drink.. I don't want to dump it.. so I will find a good tipping customer and just give it away. Also, if you are a good customer.. and I have a line.. guess what I am more likely to help you faster...
Bday Girl: Wow... thank you!!! ((takes a drink..)) This is a great drink!! ((tips me $3, heads over to her friends excitedly))

They finish their drinks to move on to the next place in hopes of free drinks. She must have told her friends what I said... because they each swung past the bar to tell me thank you, and walked out.

Now I will admit... it was kind of a jack ass thing to do. But... I see a lot of those types of customers.. and they are all the same. They drive me nuts!! No one tells them what is acceptable, expected, or how to act... from that point forward.. it became a routine to educate my customers. I usually did it kindly, following them asking for something for free. Some took it well.. some didnt. Oh well.. don't get me started on blended drinks!

Any advice for those new to the bar scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 10:32 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Maybe a job other than bar tender would be more to your liking! Otherwise do your job and quit whining!

Old 11-27-2014, 10:43 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
I've heard people say this as well. I always tell them it's just a myth, honestly no one cares that you are turning 21, you pay for your entertainment just like everyone else.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:17 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Maybe a job other than bar tender would be more to your liking! Otherwise do your job and quit whining!
Sounds to me like he enjoys his job just fine and is simply performing some preventive maintenance while doing the bar industry a favor.

The advice I would add is, "Know your order before you step up the the bar."

Old 11-27-2014, 07:09 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Sounds to me like he enjoys his job just fine and is simply performing some preventive maintenance while doing the bar industry a favor.

It sounds like he is whining. ...a newbie drinker can be a pain....most people aren't newbies by the time they turn 21. If a bartender can't handle a variety of customers...even on a busy night...they need to find a new job.

If good bartenders don't, or worse refuse to, educate their clientel...how do they expect young drinkers to know the proper prototal from the so called professionals?

Old 11-27-2014, 07:30 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times
Eh, I was probably like that when I had my first alcoholic drink a month after I turned 21 (I was a Muslim convert for my 21st birthday and couldn't drink and after I left the religion, my parents took me out). I was never a drinker, so I had no idea of flavors. Since I'm not much of a drinker, I only order a drink or two. I like sweet things.

OP, I didn't think that lecture was out of line. Maybe you should have warned her about watching what she drinks and what could happen if she drinks too much (and leaves with someone she didn't come in with)... I wish I had that lecture more.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
I enjoyed my job just fine, and quite honestly... people loved my sarcasm! However, nothing is more annoying than anyone.. who doesn't have a clue what they are doing. Bartenders deal with rude, stupid, annoying people their entire shift. Meaning you have to have great patience to be a bartender. I think, considering I never punched anyone, I am doing pretty good! Not that I never thought about it.

Your misunderstanding is the fact that I am not whining. Kids tend to be entitled brats these days that assume everyone in this world is here to serve them. True.. service industry is to "serve" you. However.. we also have that right not to serve you. So... should we continue to let them act like idiots.. and continue the trend of jerks. Or should be give them some pointers. Cant fix something that you are doing wrong, if someone points it out.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Eh, I was probably like that when I had my first alcoholic drink a month after I turned 21 (I was a Muslim convert for my 21st birthday and couldn't drink and after I left the religion, my parents took me out). I was never a drinker, so I had no idea of flavors. Since I'm not much of a drinker, I only order a drink or two. I like sweet things.

OP, I didn't think that lecture was out of line. Maybe you should have warned her about watching what she drinks and what could happen if she drinks too much (and leaves with someone she didn't come in with)... I wish I had that lecture more.
I have always kept a close eye on people who are getting a bit too tipsy. Legally I am supposed to stop serving them. That being said, if I see someone being taken advantage of, or in a situation I don't think would be safe. I would step out from behind the bar to make sure whatever it was did not continue.

However, I am also a firm believer that women, or men for that matter.. should not put themselves in situations which they could regret later. Furthermore, if you do plan on going out and getting drunk.. make sure you have that "one" friend who will talk some sense into you, or not let you leave with someone you both don't know.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

You are right.. I used to love bartending! I even miss it a times. Having managed bars for nearly 10 years in a variety of formats, its exciting and exhausting. However one thing in particular doesn't change.. people who don't know what to order when they get up in line.. will drive a bartender crazy. Followed with obviously being rude, and entitled.

Honestly, who.. in any job is completely fine when people ask something from them.. but don't know what they want, or feel their time is more important than yours, or they are entitled to something free? You can easily apply this to various jobs, that are not in the service industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages