Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:11 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times

Advertisements

Toasted almonds are pretty good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,568 times
I'm a cosmopolitan lady, all the way .

Old 01-16-2015, 10:28 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I don't think the Boulevardier is really that obscure... Not knowing it may just be an age thing.
How can you tell what age I am?

Boulevardier may not be as obscure as a Horsefeather or the Burnt Fuselage but an average person doesn't know it offhand. A trained bartender probably will, but not your neighborhood restaurant barkeep. You yourself said you learned it in a bartending class. It's not in 'The Perfect Cocktail' which was a really popular guide we used back in the 90's. And I don't recall seeing it in the International Bartender's Guide either, although my personal copy of that one is long gone . Obviously it's different now though. Nothing is obscure because it's all just a google search away on your smartphone or wherever. The customer can look it up before you can, and usually will, if only to make a show of how adept they are with whatever gadget they have.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:44 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
The only reason I mentioned age is that I learned it in the 80's, and it was already seen as an old man drink then.

Anyways - rye, campari, sweet vermouth. Not obscure in my book, it's a basic variation on a Negroni.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:16 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
The only reason I mentioned age is that I learned it in the 80's, and it was already seen as an old man drink then.
Maybe I'm 95.
Quote:
Anyways - rye, campari, sweet vermouth. Not obscure in my book, it's a basic variation on a Negroni.
Ingredients don't have to be obscure to make a cocktail obscure.
A Strip and Go Naked is made with frozen lemonade, vodka and keystone light beer.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:

Depends on the area....where I was bartending in the late 80s old fashioneds were 'old people' drinks....in other areas they are the drink of choice for all ages......you can not always tell someone's age by what they drink.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Depends on the area....where I was bartending in the late 80s old fashioneds were 'old people' drinks....in other areas they are the drink of choice for all ages......you can not always tell someone's age by what they drink.
I wasn't trying to guess someone's age by the drinks they knew, just thinking that some drinks become less popular (and therefor less well known) over time. The "old man" drinks that I'm referring to from the 80's are the same "classic" cocktails that are popular today. I'm sure there are regional differences as well.

I definitely prefer the classic cocktails, I was never a fan of 80's drinks like the Slippery Nipple or the Grasshopper, never mind crap like Bartles and James.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:03 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to guess someone's age by the drinks they knew, just thinking that some drinks become less popular (and therefor less well known) over time. The "old man" drinks that I'm referring to from the 80's are the same "classic" cocktails that are popular today. I'm sure there are regional differences as well.

I definitely prefer the classic cocktails, I was never a fan of 80's drinks like the Slippery Nipple or the Grasshopper, never mind crap like Bartles and James.
Grasshoppers an '80s' drink?!?!?! ROTFLMAO. It comes from the late 40s....and you can find them in almost every bar tending guide from the 50s onward. Nour idea why you'd think it was a drink from the 80s.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Grasshoppers an '80s' drink?!?!?! ROTFLMAO. It comes from the late 40s....and you can find them in almost every bar tending guide from the 50s onward. Nour idea why you'd think it was a drink from the 80s.

Oh good lord - I'm not trying to write a history of cocktails here - for some reason otterprod doesn't believe I like the drinks I like and I was simply describing my experience with the popularity of different cocktails over the last few decades.

In my experience the Grasshopper was popular in the 80's, while older (and more "boozy") cocktails (Rob Roy, Old Fashioned, Manhattan, etc.) were less popular in the 80's. Nowadays the older, boozier, cocktails are more popular and the sweeter and mintier cocktails are less popular.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:51 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
I love a well made Bloody Mary
Fresh Top Shelf Margarita on the rocks with salt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages