Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:13 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Is that true? They have a terrible wine selection in Chicago. I guess if one is a CA label chaser they have a good selection.
The Lincoln Park Costco has an OK wine selection, but it's broken into two parts and a little hard to navigate. Recently they've had quite a few good Spanish reds in the $9-14 range.

How you judge them also depends on what you're comparing them to. The quality of the wines they carry is much better than what any grocery stores carry (Mariano's, Jewel, Strack and Van Til), but it is obviously not as good as dedicated wine sellers like Vin Chicago or Binny's. Like everything at Costco the selection is limited, but the quality of what they choose to carry is generally very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:11 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
I would never buy a 48 pack, that's a joke.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:25 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The Lincoln Park Costco has an OK wine selection, but it's broken into two parts and a little hard to navigate. Recently they've had quite a few good Spanish reds in the $9-14 range.

How you judge them also depends on what you're comparing them to. The quality of the wines they carry is much better than what any grocery stores carry (Mariano's, Jewel, Strack and Van Til), but it is obviously not as good as dedicated wine sellers like Vin Chicago or Binny's. Like everything at Costco the selection is limited, but the quality of what they choose to carry is generally very good.
Thanks, I rarely see anything at the Costco in LP that I would want to drink (about 5 years ago they had a palate of Chateau des Jacques beaujolais, which I have actually never seen locally, so I bought a lot). Totally agree regarding wine at the local groceries, but Vin and Binny's are really hard to beat in terms of selection and pricing.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:47 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I think it's $21.99 for the 48 pack. If you like it, you got a hell of a deal. If you can't drink it, you didn't lose much.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:10 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,399 times
Anyone try it?

Old 03-28-2015, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,830 times
Default Can tops are filthy!

I have purchased 2 cases at 2 different local Costco wearehouses since I saw an ad for the Kirkland Signature Light Beer in the monthly Costco Magazine. I was excited to give it a try because it was cheaper than the Bud Light I usually drink. I quit buying my Bud Light at Costco because all the supplies in the area warehouses all seem to be nearing the 110 days from the "born on date" and I refuse to purchase or drink old beer.

Most of the cans in the first case I purchased seemed to have a lot of dirt and grime in the recessed area around the top of them. This meant I had to clean the tops in order to either drink the beer from the can or pour it into a glass. Not knowing what the grime was, I sure as heck didn't want to contaminate the beer with it. After consuming all 48 of the beers, I purchased a second case thinking that the first case with dirty can tops was a fluke. Much to my dismay, the can tops in the second case were even dirtier than the fist.

I sent an email to Costco regarding the cans and received a "boiler plate" email that advised that they would send my email to their buyer! Not good enough!!!! I too think that Costco should remove the "Signature" from the cans and just call it Light Beer. The beer was adequate in taste however I will not be purchasing another case and will stick to BL, but I won't purchase it from a Costco Warehouse! I don't think KSL Beer will be around too much longer. I think Costco will scrap it after sales lag.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:06 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbeerdrinker View Post
I have purchased 2 cases at 2 different local Costco wearehouses since I saw an ad for the Kirkland Signature Light Beer in the monthly Costco Magazine. I was excited to give it a try because it was cheaper than the Bud Light I usually drink. I quit buying my Bud Light at Costco because all the supplies in the area warehouses all seem to be nearing the 110 days from the "born on date" and I refuse to purchase or drink old beer.

Most of the cans in the first case I purchased seemed to have a lot of dirt and grime in the recessed area around the top of them. This meant I had to clean the tops in order to either drink the beer from the can or pour it into a glass. Not knowing what the grime was, I sure as heck didn't want to contaminate the beer with it. After consuming all 48 of the beers, I purchased a second case thinking that the first case with dirty can tops was a fluke. Much to my dismay, the can tops in the second case were even dirtier than the fist.

I sent an email to Costco regarding the cans and received a "boiler plate" email that advised that they would send my email to their buyer! Not good enough!!!! I too think that Costco should remove the "Signature" from the cans and just call it Light Beer. The beer was adequate in taste however I will not be purchasing another case and will stick to BL, but I won't purchase it from a Costco Warehouse! I don't think KSL Beer will be around too much longer. I think Costco will scrap it after sales lag.
Can you really tell the difference in a bud light older than 110 days? Lol...marketing ploy and you felt for it.

And 'signiture' in the name makes a difference? That doesn't even make sence. You knew you were buying a house brand American style macro....what did you expect?

Old 03-29-2015, 06:59 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Can you really tell the difference in a bud light older than 110 days? Lol...marketing ploy and you felt for it.

And 'signiture' in the name makes a difference? That doesn't even make sence. You knew you were buying a house brand American style macro....what did you expect?
I can't imagine a valid reason that 110 days would matter. My unfiltered homebrew is good for at least 6 months. Three factors would make Bud Light last even longer. First, it is filtered. Second, it is pasteurized. Third, it is a light American Lager.

Let me add this: If I bought beer in cans and found some dirt on the top of the cans, I would simply rinse off the top of the can before I poured the beer. A little dust on the can would not be a deciding factor for me. (The quality of the beer is an entirely different matter.)

Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,341 times
lol I just google'd "Kirkland light beer" (before I saw this thread) and saw that this thread was one of the first search results..

I just bought this 48 pack yesterday just to see. I drink 1 beer every morning when I wake up (long story as to why so I won't include it), the quality of the beer is of little importance. I actually prefer a very watered down, light, tasteless beer for this specific morning ritual (my 3 main ones for the morning beer are Bud Light, Stella & Corona). So yeah, that's why I bought this monster pack.

I've always heard that Kirkland vodka was Grey Goose (not sure if true). Similar to how one of Trader Joe's wines is actually a really high quality Napa wine.. So when I drank the first beer I assumed it was just another beer packaged as Kirkland brand beer and was slightly interested in trying to guess the beer. First I looked at the label, oh and incase this is a factor, I purchased it at the Costco in San Francisco:

"Brewed and Bottled by Regal Brau Brewing Company LLC - Monroe, WI"

After my first sip I immediately thought of Steel Reserve (which was one of my high school go to 40s, but is obviously terrible) lol.. I knew it couldn't really be Steel Reserve as the Kirkland beer is only 4.2% (similar to the main light beers). My next thought was PBR.

Anyways the reason I google'd the beer was to see what beer it is..

Also one of the first google search results is a reddit thread titled "COLLEGE DRUNKS REJOICE" lol..

EDIT: Just did a quick google search and it seems like Kirkland vodka really is Grey Goose, basically.

Last edited by RadicalAtheist; 04-09-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 04:18 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,378,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Anyways the reason I google'd the beer was to see what beer it is..
Regal Brau is also known as Minhas, a brewery that doesn't widely distribute it's own branded beers, so it's not likely to be a re-brand of anything you've ever had before.

A little Googling shows that Minhas has its own light beer called Boxer Light, so it's possible that Kirkland Light is a rebrand of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages