Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:25 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Which store do you prefer of these two: the one in East Norriton (Swede Square) or the one inside the Super Fresh in Blue Bell?
East Norriton is closer.

The Blue Bell store is newer, and nicer -- it doesn't look like a drug store that hasn't been remodeled in 40 years, like most of the state stores do -- but the selection isn't any better, so it's really not worth the drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 02:39 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,444 times
What about the Eagleville store? That one is strange because it relocated out of a relatively new Acme-anchored shopping center to a lonely location all by itself a number of years back, but the new store isn't much bigger than the old, and has no luxury items.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,109,972 times
The whole system needs to be done away with and privatized, but it will never happen. The state is making too much money off of it, the unions are too strong (store clerks with pensions in this day and age? WTF?), and the MADD-crowd thinks everyone in PA will immediately become an alcoholic if the state does not control the stores.

I usually buy my booze in Phillipsburg, NJ when passing through (along with filling up my car's gas tank), there is more selection and it's cheaper.

I'll give them credit for at least remodeling a few of the stores in my area in the last couple of years and opening a new "premium collection" location.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:22 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
The whole system needs to be done away with and privatized, but it will never happen. The state is making too much money off of it, the unions are too strong (store clerks with pensions in this day and age? WTF?), and the MADD-crowd thinks everyone in PA will immediately become an alcoholic if the state does not control the stores.

I usually buy my booze in Phillipsburg, NJ when passing through (along with filling up my car's gas tank), there is more selection and it's cheaper.

I'll give them credit for at least remodeling a few of the stores in my area in the last couple of years and opening a new "premium collection" location.
IMO, with every state looking to increase revenue, if state-controlled booze was a proven way to increase state income (revenue less costs), more state governments would be running to that model than away from it.

The major marketing message from the PLCB is that they are the single-largest buying power in the US for booze, thus they can make better deals. And this might be true for lower-shelf liquor and wine, but it's certainly not true for higher-end product (I can typically buy Lagavulin scotch for $20-$30 less in NY). If you shop at stores between Philly and Pittsburgh, you know selection above baseline booze is limited.

Personally, I think because the Philly area is such a huge % of total state population - and it's easy for Philly metro residents to purchase upscale liquors and wines in NJ and Delaware for less - there's simply not as huge an outcry as there should be.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post

No two of the "premium collection" stores are the same. Some have a walk-in chiller that could either be half the store or just big enough for one person. Others only have a carpeted section for their best wines. Some only have a wooden cabinet for their best wines. Some have spirits miniatures at checkout but some don't.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
IMO, with every state looking to increase revenue, if state-controlled booze was a proven way to increase state income (revenue less costs), more state governments would be running to that model than away from it.

The major marketing message from the PLCB is that they are the single-largest buying power in the US for booze, thus they can make better deals...
Yeah, maybe that would be a compelling argument if their prices were actually competitive with neighboring states on anything worth drinking.

Q: Who is the world's largest wine buyer and retailer?

A: Costco.

So yeah, not buying their claim that they can get better deals than the private sector can. If that were true, they'd have nothing to lose by letting the private sector compete with them.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:31 PM

PLCB jobs really, really suck (the store staff are used as janitors for the bathrooms, shovel snow, etc) so why does the union think PLCB jobs are better than private jobs?

Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
PLCB jobs really, really suck (the store staff are used as janitors for the bathrooms, shovel snow, etc) so why does the union think PLCB jobs are better than private jobs?
Because private jobs don't pay union dues?

Old 03-24-2015, 04:51 AM

16,659 posts, read 15,651,806 times
The state owned stores in West Virginia were closed in 1990. Before then, you had to go to a state store to buy liquor and wine, but you could buy beer at grocery stores.

I've got to say that it is much better with the state selling franchises to sell liquor and relaxing the rules so that wine is available pretty much wherever beer is sold.

I'm sure it has surprised some people, but the state has not deteriorated as a result. Drunk driving has not skyrocketed. Alcoholism has not increased. Public intoxication is no worse. I would be comfortable saying that it has been pretty universally an improvement to get rid of the state owned stores.

I was surprised to find out that convenience stores in PA don't sell beer.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:19 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
When I moved to Washington state 4 years ago, there were state run liquor stores. Beer & wine could be purchased at some grocery stores, Walgreen, etc. but hard liquor was only available in the state stores, and at stores on Native American reservations. The state stores closed pretty early, around 9:00 p.m. The state stores were voted down about 2 years ago, the big push for that came from Costco, who had lobbied for years for it. Now, hard alcohol is sold everywhere, from Costco to Bevmo to Walmart, with a huge tax. So, if I have a desire for some good tequilla or vodka, I usually wait until I make a visit to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages