Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:18 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you think that's bad... when I lived in Pittsburgh in the late 90s, they still had one of the "old school" state stores that was basically just a warehouse with a service counter. You'd walk in and walk up to the counter where there would be book list of available items. You'd look at the list and tell the guy behind the counter, "I'd like item #283 please." Then he'd amble back into the warehouse, show up a few minutes later and either have your item in hand or, just as often as not, say, "sorry, we're out of item #283; is there anything else you'd like instead?" It was... weird, sterile, and just very... government-like.
Oh yes, I remember those days. All state stores (except maybe wholesale ones?) were like that until 1970. What explains them being like that? It never made ANY sense to me. And I'm surprised they didn't all convert to self-service as soon as the trend shifted from state stores being in downtowns to state stores being in strip centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you think that's bad... when I lived in Pittsburgh in the late 90s, they still had one of the "old school" state stores that was basically just a warehouse with a service counter. You'd walk in and walk up to the counter where there would be book list of available items. You'd look at the list and tell the guy behind the counter, "I'd like item #283 please." Then he'd amble back into the warehouse, show up a few minutes later and either have your item in hand or, just as often as not, say, "sorry, we're out of item #283; is there anything else you'd like instead?" It was... weird, sterile, and just very... government-like.
I would never shop in a liquor store like that, most times when I go in, albeit only a few times a year anymore, I like to browse around for a bit. Even if I already have a particular brand and type in mind, every once in a while, while I'm browsing around something else catches my eye and I grab that either in addition to, or instead of what I was originally going for. Go in for some whiskey, decide it's more of a rum night sort of deal.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
I would never shop in a liquor store like that, most times when I go in, albeit only a few times a year anymore, I like to browse around for a bit. Even if I already have a particular brand and type in mind, every once in a while, while I'm browsing around something else catches my eye and I grab that either in addition to, or instead of what I was originally going for. Go in for some whiskey, decide it's more of a rum night sort of deal.
If you are in PA....you wouldn't have a choice...that was the issuel....you couldn't just go anywhere else unless you left the state.

Ohio used to have the system were you wrote what you wanted on a slip after looking at the bottles kept in glass cases.....gave it to the clerk who then went and go itt....but they were ays pretty good about not running out of stuff...and if they did of posting it outfrount at the cases. I don't miss those days...lol..

Old 03-27-2015, 09:45 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,869 times
Quote:
Well, if you were a bartender, you would be really lucky if in the years 1964 to 1970, you had the privilege of shopping at the wholesale state store in Broomall. Browse all you want while nobody else in the state had that opportunity.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
To be fair, most PA liquor stores had been converted into a more retail-style format by this time, with liquor and wine arranged on shelves that the buyer could walk/browse through and then bring their selction(s) up to a checkout counter, and there were a number of such stores available to me. I just wanted to see this particular store for the novelty of it; from my understanding, it was one of the few state stores left that still had the counter/warehouse setup rather than the more conventional retail format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages