Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:31 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times

Advertisements

Gin is simple and easy, much like vodka. It's a neutral spirit flavored with botanicals.

While some liquors can command a premium due to complex production processes and/or aging that enhances the drink - whiskies, brandies, rums, tequilas, to name a few - this is not the case for gin. With gin, you simply aren't getting much if anything for paying extra.

A decent $25 gin will more than suffice - Bombay (regular, not Bombay Sapphire given that you mentioned gin & tonics), Tanqueray or Boodles will all do nicely and are all fairly easy to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:19 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Sapphire.

Always.

I'm a gin drinker and that's mostly what I buy anymore.

If you want something unique or different, try Death's Door or Leopold's.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:57 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
My favorite ... and I am a great fan of gin, you might say a connoisseur ... is Tanqueray Rangpur. It is a bright, lively citrusy vibe going on (rangpur is a type of lime) which makes a perfect Gin & Tonic. Tanqueray also makes a gin called "Number Ten" which is their top of the line premium gin; very good but I still prefer Rangpur.

A really fine American gin is Bluecoat - possibly the best of all gins in America and the winner of gold medals. Bluecoat has it's own botanical recipe and there is also a citrusy hint (not as much as Rangpur though) and the juniper berries are a little more pronounced. Bluecoat is made in Philadelphia, by the way.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:44 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,195 times
Hendrick's Gin is a little more unique/specialty, but still widely available. It has more notable aromatics (herbs, seeds, roots, juniper) and rosewater. It's made in small batches. Just something different/special.

If your recipient is a martini lover, try pairing a good gin with the proper vermouth to put together a gift. He'll be impressed that you did your homework. Hendrick's, Tanqueray, Beefeater, and Fords will marry best with Noilly Prat dry vermouth. Bombay goes best with Martini & Rossi extra dry vermouth. All of those gins are great picks.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Gin is simple and easy, much like vodka. It's a neutral spirit flavored with botanicals.
Gin is actually just flavored vodka. You start with vodka and infuse the botanicals.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Looking for advice on what Gin to get my Uncle for his 80th birthday. He's a vibrant and wealthy world traveler, and an easy going guy. Gin & tonic with a slice of lime is his drink.

I honestly don't know much about liquor, but thought he might like a unique gin. Last time he was visiting he picked up Bombay Sapphire, so I assume he likes it, but maybe that was the only decent one at our local store.

Any of you Gin lovers have any advice?
Bombay Sapphire is very good. I drink a lot of gin and Sapphire is my first choice. However, when you mix gin with tonic water, it's very difficult to distinguish which gin is in the drink.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:57 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Gin is actually just flavored vodka. You start with vodka and infuse the botanicals.
no, you have that backwards, Vodka is just unflavored Gin!

what's the point?

Old 06-23-2015, 07:25 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Hendricks or Bulldog would make him happy.

I just got back from Ireland & picked up some Dingle Gin, haven't tried it yet....

Old 06-25-2015, 07:08 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,856 times
Hendricks is very floral. The wife likes it and it holds up well with a good tonic water, not the cheap fake stuff like Canada Dry. Back in Martini days I used to like Boodle's or Plymouth, but they are seldom seen these days. Boodle's had little or no citrus notes.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,031 times
I just tried a new gin, Knickerrbocker Gin. This gin is barrel aged and has more character than most other gins, going well with some tonic and a lime slice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages