Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Wasn't making a reference to your or any other posts, TabulaRasa. C'mon. Just making a recommendation to the OP. I, myself, would tend to generalize that flavored whiskey=crap whiskey, if I hadn't been lucky enough to fall into contact with some good ones. I'm glad I gave them a chance!
Oh, I'm not offended!

Just noting that personal taste isn't always rooted in snobbery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 05:05 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I have heard that there are such things as flavored whiskey, similar to flavored vodka. I think I once saw a youtube of somebody drinking a whiskey that tasted like pancakes lol.

Do you have any experience with flavored whiskey? Are they any good or just a gimmick?
Blech!!!!! Why would anyone mess with perfection?

Neat or rocks, that's what the Colonel taught me.

It even kills me to see someone order a really great bourbon and coke (May I have a Woodford Double Oaked and coke please? That's just anti-American)

Old 09-05-2015, 05:15 PM

A cola mixer with anything is cringeworthy, IMO.

Not that I drink Bourbon with any regularity...more a Scotch girl.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:27 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A cola mixer with anything is cringeworthy, IMO.

Not that I drink Bourbon with any regularity...more a Scotch girl.
It's not that I hate Bourbon, and in fact they are what I started with when I first started drinking whiskey straight. It's just that because they are imported from the US which is crazy expensive, it's hard to justify the cost of buying them compared to scotch and Irish whiskey. A bottle of JD old.7 actually costs more than a bottle of Tullamore Dew here, even though the later is lightyears ahead in quality (which is saying a lot about the crappiness of old.7, seeing as TD isn't exactly fine wine).

Old 09-05-2015, 05:28 PM

It's not so much a cost thing, here, but a preference.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:10 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's not so much a cost thing, here, but a preference.
I understand. I was merely explaining why I don't like it as much. To be fair the selection is pretty poor here, probably because good stuff would be even more expensive and thus out of most peoples price range. The only stuff I can buy here are all 3 version of Jack, a few versions of Jim Beam, Makers Mark, and Bullet. Low and mid-shelf stuff basically.

I would love to try a proper american whiskey, but it doesn't seem to be sold here. So scotch and Irish whiskey for me it is, then.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:05 PM

44 posts, read 64,290 times
In Gatlinburg, TN earlier in the year. Did the whisky/moonshine tasting at all the distiller stores on the strip.. *ol smoky moonshine, Sugarland, Doc collier, ect

All those flavored whiskies & moonshine recipes were terrible.
Really bad after tastes, like artificial flavoring or something.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:12 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
Every summer we get Flathead Cherries from Montana. We pit them, halve them and place a handful of them in mason jars filled with whiskey. Great infused whiskey that is all natural and no artificial flavors. Can be used in many different drinks. My favorite is 2oz mixed in some lemonade for drinking in the pool on a hot day.

We do other fruits and alcohol too like Vodka with cherries or pineapple. Leave the fruit in about a week and it comes out great. Easy too!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Every summer we get Flathead Cherries from Montana. We pit them, halve them and place a handful of them in mason jars filled with whiskey. Great infused whiskey that is all natural and no artificial flavors. Can be used in many different drinks. My favorite is 2oz mixed in some lemonade for drinking in the pool on a hot day.

We do other fruits and alcohol too like Vodka with cherries or pineapple. Leave the fruit in about a week and it comes out great. Easy too!
For a real treat steep a dark tea in a high quality room temp gin for a couple of hours. Shake with a squirt of lemon and egg white.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:23 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
I tried the apple flavored Crown... Wasn't horrible. Not something I'd want to sip on all night. As a mixer, sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages