Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:47 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Scotch. I can't stomach it....
I am not getting all of this hate for scotch. What exactly are you drinking? Not all scotches are equally good for whiskey noobs. I would seriously recommend something like Glenfiddich 12 for a scotch noob. Or Irish whiskey in case you want something cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 08:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
I hate all straight scotch, whiskey, rye etc, they all taste the same to me and just burn my throat, The only way I can have it is like a whiskey sour.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:35 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I hate all straight scotch, whiskey, rye etc, they all taste the same to me and just burn my throat, The only way I can have it is like a whiskey sour.
The mistake lots of inexperienced whiskey drinkers make are taking too big sips and swallowing them too soon. You need to take small sips and let it be in our mouth for a while, that way when you do swallow the whiskey will have smoothed out somewhat because of your mouth water and won't actually taste/feel rough or harsh when you do swallow. I NEVER swallow whiskey the moment I put it into my mouth. This is also the reason I never use whiskey for shots. It's just not good for that purpose.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:14 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Not a big fan of most liqueurs except Gran Marnier in margaritas and I despise anything that passes itself off as a wine cooler or pseudo-drink (like hard lemonade). They're all "flavored malt beverages" here in Texas. I don't know what that is but it's gross. I love beer, but it needs to taste like beer!

Old 12-12-2015, 04:56 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Gin smells off-putting to me, and just tastes awful to me. I have tried several different brands and still think it tastes horrible. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I don't understand how anyone thinks that this tastes good.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:13 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I don't like: gin, scotch, bourbon (gin tastes like a pine tree, not that I've ever eaten/drunk one, LOL)

Old 12-12-2015, 09:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Gin is flavored with juniper berries, hence the evergreen taste.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:57 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Gin smells off-putting to me, and just tastes awful to me. I have tried several different brands and still think it tastes horrible. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I don't understand how anyone thinks that this tastes good.
I think a good way to build appreciation for gin is to have a well-made classic martini- quality gin, quality vermouth, a few olives, the whole thing very very cold. It will taste strong and astringent but hopefully in a good way. I think of it as tasting kind of like a Christmas tree smells.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Vodka. When I was 17 the only drink I knew was the screwdriver. One night I decided to see how many bars I could get into without being carded. By 4:30 am I left the last bar and literally had to crawl to my car. Once home and in bed the room started spinning and everything came up. Ever since that night I can't stand vodka, or even the idea of drinking it.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
The mistake lots of inexperienced whiskey drinkers make are taking too big sips and swallowing them too soon. You need to take small sips and let it be in our mouth for a while, that way when you do swallow the whiskey will have smoothed out somewhat because of your mouth water and won't actually taste/feel rough or harsh when you do swallow. I NEVER swallow whiskey the moment I put it into my mouth. This is also the reason I never use whiskey for shots. It's just not good for that purpose.
Sigh, I really make that mistake too often when I try whiskey, and idiotically regret that I don't slow down more with whiskey. I was reminded of that when I was recently at a bar and desperately trying to find a cheap alternative to get up the credit card minimum, and being secretly annoyed I didn't see a lot of decent craft beer options that were cheap, did a shot of whiskey and later regretted it. I should've done a 2nd beer instead, even if I had to swallow my pride and pay more for that vs. what that beer would've cost at other craft beer bars.

What can I obviously say, I'm more of a craft beer guy myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages