Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 10:13 AM

77 posts, read 71,685 times

Advertisements

I'm not experienced with wines, but I understand that the quality of a certain year has a lot to do with climate, soils and the winery itself. So is there such thing as a consistently good wine? (Like, one that is pretty indistinguishable from one year to the next) Are there companies/wineries that anyone just implicitly trusts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 10:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Here ya go.

50 Wines You Can Always Trust | Food & Wine

Beringer and Bogle are my everyday go to wines. Local to me within driving distance.

Also several local boutique Lodi Ca wineries that you won't see on any list.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Penfolds (Australian) and Greywacke and Urlar (NewZealand) have been consistently solid in my experience.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:47 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,523,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumPockets View Post
I'm not experienced with wines, but I understand that the quality of a certain year has a lot to do with climate, soils and the winery itself. So is there such thing as a consistently good wine? (Like, one that is pretty indistinguishable from one year to the next) Are there companies/wineries that anyone just implicitly trusts?
Most large production wines are made to achieve taste consistency from year to year--in fact, a "2010" bottle will likely include a small amount of wine blended from earlier years in order to maintain that consistency in spite of changes in growing conditions.

You will find much more variation in consistency for small production wines/wineries. They are also, typically, of better quality than the largest production wines.

Another rule of thumb: you are more likely to see consistently quality across vintages in the New World: California, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand.

You are more likely to find good wine at bargain prices from the (somewhat) less celebrated regions: Chile & Argentina are good options, as are New Zealand, South Africa, Australia. California, other than Napa and Sonoma counties, has good wines at bargain prices. You can do very well in Europe, too:

France: Jura, Languedoc, sparkling wine from the Loire Valley
Italy: Veneto, Sicily, Emilia-Romagna, Puglia

And more. You'll need a good wine shop/access to online wine shopping (depends on state law) in order to get to some of these regions, though.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 PM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Noble vines 667
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages