Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:11 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times

Advertisements

There was a huge resurgence of "classic" cocktails in the 90s-early 2000s, from which evolved the rise of the craft cocktail program. Much more brown spirit/gin-focused (as opposed to the glut of vodka or worse, "flavored" vodka of the 90s), and increased appreciation for bitter cocktails featuring amaros, an increased use of herbal components in drinks, a resurgence of authentic Tiki drinks, etc. Working the bar at many modern urban places requires a lot of knowledge about alcohol, it's way more than pulling pints and mixing a highball these days.

The Long Island Iced Tea days--and their terrible offspring of "apple martinis" and the like--are pretty much past us, thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 12:28 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,303 times
Based on the episodes of Bar Rescue that I just watched, you'd think that's all that people drink. Oh, and beer. LOL.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:40 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,302,210 times
Manhattans are very popular!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:05 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Sazerac is my current favorite. Also Ramos Gin Fizz.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Remember back in the 1970s there occasionally was an alcohol advertising pullout in TV Guide which featured the drinks above and more and how to prepare along with a nice color image?

Are these still popular in a time of Long Island Ice Tea, Rum and Coke, etc.
it seems to me, from watching our grandkids now drink, the old drinks like Martinis and even Manhattans are back on he scene and not much talk about Long Island Ice tea or even Rum and Coke but I am sure in parts of the country they are popular. It appears wine and beer are at the top of the list, followed by drinks like Martinis.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
They seem to be with Millenials, maybe b/c it's "new" to them. My daughter said she & her friends liked Manhattans & Stingers & I thought, "What?? Yuck!". My sister, who was nearly a generation older than me, loved Martinis, which I thought tasted like gasoline, but now that I'm older, I really like a well-made martini, only with vodka, not gin.

I think it's just the cycle of everything old is new again...maybe people are tiring of the craft beer fad.
actually get a few years older and you might learn to like them with gin. I am getting to the place I prefer the gin. You are right about what the millennials are drinking.

I can remember when I was leaving for college my dad taught me how to enjoy a martini, telling me it was a lady's drink. Well let me assure you, I thought he had lost his head. I would just throw the drink out when he turned his head. Now it is about the only mixed drink I ever have.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:48 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Default Are old school mixed drinks still popular? Martini, Tom Collins, Manhattan, Stingray, etc

I like the occasional Old Fashioned. Nothing more old school than that.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:10 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Remember back in the 1970s there occasionally was an alcohol advertising pullout in TV Guide which featured the drinks above and more and how to prepare along with a nice color image?

Are these still popular in a time of Long Island Ice Tea, Rum and Coke, etc.

Many young people start out with "beginner drinks"

Rum and Coke
Seven and Seven
Screwdriver.
Whisky Sour

Than move on to the more established Adult cocktails. Manhatten, Martini, etc.etc.

Never cared for the latest "designer cocktails".

Now that I am way past beginner drinks I just have the same old drink every time. Top Shelf Gin and a quality Tonic with a nice slice of Lime.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I like the occasional Old Fashioned. Nothing more old school than that.
Seems like that is another drink coming back. My dad and mom used to drink them; they also loved Bacardi cocktails. I am going way back, like to the 50s.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:36 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Not sure if it's old school or not but DH likes dirty martini's. I still love a good LI ice tea and several restaurants in my area make them really good. I have always wanted to try a grasshopper. I remember as a kid going to a diner and on the place mats were the names of the drinks mentioned here and how to make them. Any one ever drink a pink lady??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages