Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:52 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Many young people start out with "beginner drinks"

Rum and Coke
Seven and Seven
Whisky Sour.
Oh, lord help me, this was the unholy trinity that my older friends decided would be a good "introduction to alcohol" for my under-age self...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 04:50 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Many young people start out with "beginner drinks"

Rum and Coke
Seven and Seven
Screwdriver.
Whisky Sour

Than move on to the more established Adult cocktails. Manhatten, Martini, etc.etc.

Never cared for the latest "designer cocktails".

Now that I am way past beginner drinks I just have the same old drink every time. Top Shelf Gin and a quality Tonic with a nice slice of Lime.
I never started out with drinks like that. My first drink was a beer, then after that I had Jack Daniel's and coke. Stuck with beer for a short time. Then moved onto drinks like sea breeze, bay breeze, LI iced tea. Then switched to wine or Vodka and 7-up. Preferably grey goose or Kettle one vodka. Still drink wine occasionally and vodka with soda. LI iced teas I have maybe once a year. I don't drink beer anymore. Never really acquired a taste for it.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Not sure if it's old school or not but DH likes dirty martini's. I still love a good LI ice tea and several restaurants in my area make them really good. I have always wanted to try a grasshopper. I remember as a kid going to a diner and on the place mats were the names of the drinks mentioned here and how to make them. Any one ever drink a pink lady??

Yup, I love a Pink Lady. Never my favorite drink to make when I was working behind the bar--flips are one of the more labor-intensive types of drinks to make which can slow things down when you're in the weds--but I always liked introducing people to them who were freaked out by the concept of a raw egg white in their cocktail.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:06 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Remember back in the 1970s there occasionally was an alcohol advertising pullout in TV Guide which featured the drinks above and more and how to prepare along with a nice color image?

Are these still popular in a time of Long Island Ice Tea, Rum and Coke, etc.

Martini, straight up, two olives. Can't stand the so-called modern concoctions.

If it has chocolate, it ain't a Martini. People...Name your own drinks, willya?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:21 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I think the 'fad' will hold at 25% or so, and won't go away or appreciably diminish any more than food sales in America outside of fast food hamburges is a fad that will diminish.

In fact, the rise and appreciation of craft beer is suspected by many beverage industry analysts to be behind the growth in spirits/mixology, small batch wines, and other specialty alcohol beverages (cider, mead, etc.). The idea is that craft beer has created a new 'connoiseur class' of consumers who demand a choice of creative and diverse styles, methods, and sources for their alcoholic beverages.
I wonder where it will end up as the younger generations age and the boomers and older will...well, let's just say move on

I wouldn't be surprised to see it reach higher than 25% over several decades, maybe even as high as 40%. I definitely don't think it is a "fad"; those of us such as myself who have mainly consumed craft beers for their entire drinking lives aren't going to suddenly sacrifice flavor. I'm not a beer snob, I'll enjoy a cold Labatt Blue outside at a ballgame or BBQ as much as the next guy, but most of the time I prefer something with more flavor.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:21 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Yup, I love a Pink Lady. Never my favorite drink to make when I was working behind the bar--flips are one of the more labor-intensive types of drinks to make which can slow things down when you're in the weds--but I always liked introducing people to them who were freaked out by the concept of a raw egg white in their cocktail.
I read what's in it. Looks like pepto bisomol LOL. I don't think I'd like it.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:00 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
There will never be a full cycle completed until Harvey Wallbangers come back.
or a freddy fudpucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Sazerac is my current favorite. Also Ramos Gin Fizz.
The Sazerac's are excellent if it's made with the right ingredients:
Sazerac Company

Since I waitressed (during college) and also had to make some of my customers drinks during the 70's
these were the most popular:
-an old fashioned (up or on the rocks)
-Irish Coffee
-seven/seven
-manhattans
-martini's (up or on the rocks and yes some dirty)
-rob roy
-singapore sling
-vodka or gin gimlet
-tom collins
-rusty nail
-golden cadillac
-white russian
-brandy alexander's and grasshopper's *now some places make them with icecream

10 Retro Cocktails That Need To Come Back... '70s Style

Old 08-16-2016, 09:40 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
or a freddy fudpucker.

The Sazerac's are excellent if it's made with the right ingredients:
Sazerac Company

Since I waitressed (during college) and also had to make some of my customers drinks during the 70's
these were the most popular:
-an old fashioned (up or on the rocks)
-Irish Coffee
-seven/seven
-manhattans
-martini's (up or on the rocks and yes some dirty)
-rob roy
-singapore sling
-vodka or gin gimlet
-tom collins
-rusty nail
-golden cadillac
-white russian
-brandy alexander's and grasshopper's *now some places make them with icecream

10 Retro Cocktails That Need To Come Back... '70s Style

Well, that was a blast to the past! Was there really a cocktail called a freddy fudpucker? I had a friend whose husband acted like an idiot & always ordered those because the servers didn't know what he was talking about & he loved to make their lives difficult. I always thought he just made it up.

My mother thought that Brandy Alexanders were the best thing ever because she could satisfy her sweet tooth & get a little buzz on!

Old 08-16-2016, 03:38 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Well, that was a blast to the past! Was there really a cocktail called a freddy fudpucker? I had a friend whose husband acted like an idiot & always ordered those because the servers didn't know what he was talking about & he loved to make their lives difficult. I always thought he just made it up.
My mother thought that Brandy Alexanders were the best thing ever because she could satisfy her sweet tooth & get a little buzz on!
^^^Yes, it's an actual drink. It's a Harvey Wallbanger that's made with tequila instead of vodka.
https://www.diffordsguide.com/cockta...eddy-fudpucker

Customers would ask me to repeat the name thinking I'd made a mistake (iYKwIM) but ha, ha, I
never did.
Those Brandy Alexanders and Grasshoppers made with good vanilla ice cream are certainly tasty.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:21 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
"Are old school drinks still popular?"

In many circles, they have made a resurgence. Partially fueled by the interest in all things Mid Century, from homes to furnishings, and partly from the popular cable show "Madmen" - one of my favorites.

I happen to love all things mid century. I was born in the late 50s, so I grew up in that culture. My parents had cocktail parties. Lot's of them. They had a finished basement with a wet bar, that was well stocked.

"Sex And the City" intruded a generation of Gen Xers or Yers (or both) to Martinis - in the form of a Cosmopolitan. I like cosmos. A lot. But I don't think they are "old school".

I enjoy a regular martini, and a Manhattan, every now and then. Same with my dad's favorite - a perfect Rob Roy.
I like Jack Daniels on the rocks and I prefer Johnny Walker Black to red.

Long Island Ice Teas and Harvey Walbangers can be fun. - BUT - I would not classify either as "old school".

Lately, this summer, I've been enjoying Moscow Mules. Love a good one in a copper cup. I do not remember my parents ever having those. I think the were earlier than the late 50s and 60s. But they are so, so good.

I love to throw Retro Madmen inspired cocktail parties! Make horderves, make fondue, and play retro rock n roll. We had a twist party where everyone came in period costume! We played "Twist" records (yes, I still use vinyl) and the drinks were served out of my parent's early 1960s Libby Golden Leaf Bar ware. We had Lipton's onion dip and chips, served out of a vintage "chip and dip" set that belonged to my parents.

I think I'll make myself a martini now. Shaken, not stirred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages