Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 10:31 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Safer not to exceed the limits, and it appears there are risks even consuming any alcohol.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...ml#commentsDiv

Quote:
Drinking more than a glass of wine or beer a day shaves years off your life according to one of the largest ever studies on alcohol harm which found even low-level drinking brought significant health risks.

Anyone drinking much over the UK recommended limits, about five medium (175ml) glasses of wine or pints of four per cent beer, was shortening their life span, and increasing their risk of serious disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 10:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Safer not to exceed the limits, and it appears there are risks even consuming any alcohol.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...ml#commentsDiv
There are also benefits to consuming some alcohol.
Its a cost-benefit analysis you have to make for yourself.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:47 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
A study was just released showing that people who live the longest tend to drink up to two alcoholic drinks daily. It's called moderation.

The 90+ Study - UCI MIND

Old 04-17-2018, 04:28 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
It's the whole Eggs are BAD for you.. no, wait, Eggs are GOOD for you... er, hold on a second.. Eggs are BAD!!! no, no, sorry, we really rather thing Eggs are good for you.... fiasco all over again.

I'll take for "all things in moderation" for 100 Alex.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
We can find a study to prove whatever we want. Most of us know this. As for a drink or two each day, I really believe this is more a matter of choice than good or bad for ones health. I live in a community with a lot of seniors and the ones that are the oldest for the most part do enjoy their afternoon or early evening social hour, even those living in some senior centers. They look forward to Friday afternoon afternoon cocktail hour. Mom drank herself to death, literally and died at 61. Dad loved his alcohol and well, lived to be 93. Both grandmas lived and were pretty healthy until the end; one never drank and one enjoyed her wine. I am not suggesting people drink, but I also take most studies with a grain of salt.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
For someone genetically prone to stroke or blood clots I can see where a daily glass of wine would be beneficial, mostly for the blood thinning effect. Of course, one could get the same benefit from a baby aspirin, if their stomach could tolerate it.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
A study was just released showing that people who live the longest tend to drink up to two alcoholic drinks daily. It's called moderation.

The 90+ Study - UCI MIND
I don't know that you are interpreting that right. And causation and correlation are not the same thing.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
It's the whole Eggs are BAD for you.. no, wait, Eggs are GOOD for you... er, hold on a second.. Eggs are BAD!!! no, no, sorry, we really rather thing Eggs are good for you.... fiasco all over again.

I'll take for "all things in moderation" for 100 Alex.
Right.

That is what the article is saying. Drinking more than the recommended amount would not be moderation.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:34 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't know that you are interpreting that right. And causation and correlation are not the same thing.
Read what the author of the study says. Moderate drinkers live longer than non drinkers. I'm sure heavy drinkers die sooner.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Read what the author of the study says. Moderate drinkers live longer than non drinkers. I'm sure heavy drinkers die sooner.
Yeah.

And people who have moles on their left pinkies live longer than people who don't.

But that doesn't mean it's the mole that's keeping them alive.

In the case of alcohol, there are specific disease processes that drinking in moderation can lower the risk of. At the same time, however, other physiological processes are occurring ghat negatively affect your body.

Navigating that fine line is not as simple as "drinking makes you live longer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages