Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 06:07 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Only a few of the ~60 beers that Sam Adams makes are brewed with wheat. Cherry Wheat, obviously. Blackberry Witbier was brewed with wheat, but is no longer produced. I'm sure there are a few more, but most beers are not made with wheat.
Their flagship beer is certainly not a wheat beer!

Also, I recommend trying Boston Ale if you haven't yet, it's kinda hard to find but it's really good IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 05:16 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

Also, I recommend trying Boston Ale if you haven't yet, it's kinda hard to find but it's really good IMO.
I agree. I like Boston Ale. I do not like Boston Lager.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:45 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
I agree. I like Boston Ale. I do not like Boston Lager.

Oh really? I thought Boston Lager was the most neutral of all craft beers!

I just tried the Octoberfest! Was awesome! Will be drinking more of them soon!

I had it out of a bottle 7 years ago and didn't like it, but I think it was skunked.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:13 PM

510 posts, read 370,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Brewing company Sam Adams announced the release of a beer that costs $199 per bottle -- and is illegal in 12 states.

The company said Utopias, a beer brewed by Sam Adams every two years, is headed back to stores for its 10th iteration, which boasts an alcohol content of 28 percent.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/11...l&utm_medium=7

Around here, we can get a 12 pack of 9% ABV beer for $12.99 plus tax, about $800 worth of alcohol if it were all priced like Utopia. I hope the extreme price gouging on this beer won't make gov't think they should make all beer at least this price with a 6,000% tax.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:24 AM

73 posts, read 102,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
Around here, we can get a 12 pack of 9% ABV beer for $12.99 plus tax, about $800 worth of alcohol if it were all priced like Utopia. I hope the extreme price gouging on this beer won't make gov't think they should make all beer at least this price with a 6,000% tax.
How is it price gouging? This isn't a standard craft 6 pack.

And what beers are you getting for 12.99 a 12 pack? Certainly not a craft beer.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:56 PM

353 posts, read 458,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiP View Post
How is it price gouging? This isn't a standard craft 6 pack.

And what beers are you getting for 12.99 a 12 pack? Certainly not a craft beer.
Yeah I don't know what he is on about. Utopia is a specialty beer that usually goes to collectors or people who like to age beers and is priced accordingly. It's not some swill to chug during a tailgate or rock concert.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:39 AM

3,447 posts, read 3,374,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

The problem with so many of Sam Adams' less common and seasonal(ahem) beers, is that you CANNOT find them sadly other than as part of a variety 12 pack. For example I'd GLADLY buy a 6 pack of Old Fezziwig Ale(their special Christmas beer), if they ever did bother to sell that in stores. Heck, I'd even love to try a draft version of Old Fezziwig, if SA/Boston Beer Company could ever make that a reality at least once. Like what Samuel Smith recently did in the United States for the first time ever(I think?), with Oatmeal Stout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiP View Post
It's only illegal because of the high alcohol content - to be honest, this is not beer in the traditional sense.

And for the record, if I ever got the chance to buy one, I certainly would.
Yep, ABV cap laws are the problem in certain states like Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, West Virginia, to name a few. These laws setting a maximum alcoholic content for beer that is sold in stores, bars, etc., is totally absurd! I wish all states would abolish those archaic laws, like Ohio recently did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Just buy a regular Sam Adams and spike it with Everclear. Same thing and much cheaper and even more alcohol than 28%.
The only person who'd ever say something like this, is someone not really into microbrewed beer. I don't care much for Everclear(or for that matter getting s---faced drunk, I'm more about a tiny buzz being good enough for me at the very most nowadays), but to each their own.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:45 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Brewing company Sam Adams announced the release of a beer that costs $199 per bottle -- and is illegal in 12 states.

The company said Utopias, a beer brewed by Sam Adams every two years, is headed back to stores for its 10th iteration, which boasts an alcohol content of 28 percent.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/11...l&utm_medium=7
I'd buy one too, were I fortunate enough to have $199 to burn.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Sam Adams Octoberfest is also first rate. I don't think they make an IPA fit to drink.
Most East Coast breweries don't

Old 12-06-2017, 05:19 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,374,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Most East Coast breweries don't
From some of my beer geek friends on the Untappd app, I know some people hype up the IPAs of the brewery Trillium, based in(I think) the Boston area. Not sure how far beyond Boston and Massachusetts into other states, their beer is distributed to.

Myself, I'm not much of an IPA guy. And usually people have said mixed reactions, when it came(for those more into IPAs) to Sam Adams Rebel IPA, plus its sister Rebel IPA beers. But to each their own, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages