Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you regret drinking underage?
Yes 11 5.98%
No 173 94.02%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:47 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times

Advertisements

Of course not. It was fun and something to do and a way to make friends for those of us who weren't acceptable by the ruling crowd in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 08:49 AM

16,587 posts, read 4,872,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
I asked because parents act like it's the end of the world when they find out that their kids drink.
It was my mother who gave me the drink. It was a lesson on how to behave responsibly in society, and on how to drink responsibly.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:07 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
My parents had zero tolerance.......tho my grandmother was quite liberal......she didn't mind if we teenagers had a beer/wine at her house..

we snuck beer and asked others to buy when we were teenagers - at my parents house...
took many chances we shouldn't have ...was very lucky....

with my son....i gave him "sips" of alcohol in his teens...knowing that most kids do not like beer at first....he hated it.....so this took the mystery and peer pressure edge off....
his mother (we are divorced) is a professional.. and she would allow him a few drinks as long as he stayed home after he got his license..

its funny.....his close friends parents and us had the conversation about alcohol.....we ALL agreed the worst phone call to get as a parent is your kid just got in an accident...whether he was driving or in the car with another driver.....all these professional mothers....were singing the same song....their kid will not be a memorial beside the highway ...so they let them drink lightly as long as they stayed home - played video games ....didn't leave the house..

the other thing this does- i had friends that parents had zero tolerance with alcohol and the kid was scared and didn't drink ...... so from the parents perspective.....this worked..
however when they went off to college they went nuts and had no coping skills at all ....parties are where the girls were...so they partied and partied and eventually dropped out of college.... and all this time...they avoided the parents and avoided visiting them..

alcohol is like many "adulting" themes....... we like to coach our kids on sex and whats acceptable social behavior......but avoid alcohol.......i'd rather my kid...try alcohol under my roof to see how he reacts to it...rather than with a group of irresponsible teens at a party....... i know nothing about..

my son is a 25 yr old pharmacist and barely drinks at all..
the mystery was taken out of it at an early age....

Old 05-30-2018, 09:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,719,374 times
I had wine occasionally from a very young age--we'd drink it with meals. My mother's aunt made wine, and hers was delicious.

I don't regret it one bit. Why would I?

Old 05-31-2018, 06:15 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
I asked because parents act like it's the end of the world when they find out that their kids drink.
What parents? Ok, I would be pretty upset if I found my 14 year old drunk or drinking period but I am also realistic enough to know most kids will try alcohol way before they are legally old enough. Most of us drank, if not in high school, we did when we left of college or even if we didn't go to college we tried different drinks. If for no other reason, because we wanted to feel grown up and we liked the idea of doing something that was a no no but pretty innocent. I did, my friends did, and certainly my kids all did.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:21 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,264,375 times
Quote:

I don't know if most parents act like it is the end of the world, but they probably remember the stupid things they did when they drank in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
heh. i would be uncomfortable explaining these poll results to my kids. i voted no.

Yes, I think that refers back to my first response. I know I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was drunk in high school and other friends did as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Of course not. We should reduce the drinking age. 21 is ridiculous.

Hey I think the drinking age should be 30 along with voting and a whole host of other things until people reach a certain level of maturity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Lol why would someone 'regret' drinking underage? And let's be honest, most people have tried alcohol long before they reached 21

I dunno, the higher incidence of sexual assaults, the annual deaths from drinking, the higher incidence of drug abuse and so on. Do read the article below.

Consequences of Underage Drinking

There is a difference between trying alcohol and being an underage drinker. I know a lot of girls who lost their virginity under the influence when they were in high school (or younger) and regret it. I know guys who killed themselves under the influence. I know people who died in auto accidents underage and even worse, killed someone else under the influence and then had to live with the consequences. Do some work in a prison and find out how many of the men there started their encounters with law enforcement as a result of underage drinking.

So yes, there are a LOT of reasons why people should and do regret the choices they made.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:18 PM

1,923 posts, read 83,405 times
Yes I DO..Because now I suffer from drinking/abusing Alcohol

I have a toxic effect on my nerve tissue in my feet and my hands alcohol abuse is a frequent cause of neuropathy. ... People with alcoholic neuropathy who stop drinking, may alleviate their current symptoms and prevent further nerve deterioration. Damage to nerves caused by alcoholic neuropathy, however, is usually permanent.from 30 years of having fun drinking I was diagnosed with this...very bad pain.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:26 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,468,366 times
Yes, I did.

No, I don't.

Why? Because no harm came of it (other than a few memorable hangovers that was surely more unpleasant than I can now recall, my hangover days long behind me). I never drove intoxicated, I never fornicated intoxicated, and when I got intoxicated I became chatty and happy, so I never said anything regrettable.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:34 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,256,561 times
my dad let me drink underrage with him in Texas.This is legal for parents to do in Texas.I never got drunk or anything like that.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:53 PM

23,291 posts, read 23,667,542 times
Yes, I started drinking beer at 17 years old. By legal drinking age (21 in CA), I was drinking daily. In college, full blown partying and drinking. I moderated my drinking later in life, now I drink beer or wine 2-3 times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages