Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Shake Or Stir, But Please Don't Sweeten.

Can you imagine James Bond asking for a chocolate butterscotch martini? Or an apple martini, lemon drop martini or prickly pear martini?

Unlikely for the suave superspy.

Shake Or Stir, But Please Don't Sweeten : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,863,103 times
Anything that has more than gin, vermouth and olives is not a martini.

4 to 1/2 is my recipe as well. As for the gin, only Tanquery or Bombay Sapphire.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,919,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
As for the gin, only Tanquery or Bombay Sapphire.
That's a shame. Tanq is (IMHO) over-rated and there's a bunch of craft and small batch gins coming out; it's a bit of a gin revival, to say nothing of amazing gins that have been around for years like Plymouth.

Corsair Artisan Distillery

Leopold's Gin

Anchor Distilling - Junípero Gin

Bluecoat Gin - Our Process

Welcome To Plymouth, The World's Smoothest Gin

But I agree completely with the scentiment that gin is a requirement.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:37 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,511 times
An apple martini is the only martini I like, probably way too much!!

Old 03-04-2020, 12:41 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times
Quote:

4 to 1/2 is my recipe as well. As for the gin, only Tanquery or Bombay Sapphire.
I do mine at about 3:1.

I recently bought regular Bombay instead of Sapphire, and find it acceptable for when I want the martini to be a little weaker without sacrificing the dry taste.

At times, when there was no gin in the house, I have tried a vodka martinis, but I honestly don't know how people drink those. When H.L. Mencken praised the martini as the only American invention as perfect as the sonnet, he did not mean vodka "martinis". I think that's the problem. A vodka martini only reminds you of how much better it would be with gin instead.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:31 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Shake Or Stir, But Please Don't Sweeten.

Can you imagine James Bond asking for a chocolate butterscotch martini? Or an apple martini, lemon drop martini or prickly pear martini?

Unlikely for the suave superspy.

Shake Or Stir, But Please Don't Sweeten : NPR
I am not James Bond and I enjoy fruity martinis. I also enjoy savory martinis. Dirty Martinis are a favorite.

I like classic martinis also.

Relax. Drink what you like.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:46 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I do mine at about 3:1.

I recently bought regular Bombay instead of Sapphire, and find it acceptable for when I want the martini to be a little weaker without sacrificing the dry taste.

At times, when there was no gin in the house, I have tried a vodka martinis, but I honestly don't know how people drink those. When H.L. Mencken praised the martini as the only American invention as perfect as the sonnet, he did not mean vodka "martinis". I think that's the problem. A vodka martini only reminds you of how much better it would be with gin instead.
ETA: Just trying to use up a bottle of Finlandia that's been in the freezer for weeks and weeks, I tried making a martini with it and it was actually not at all bad. For preference it wasn't quite as good as a decent gin martini, but still quite acceptable. I think the vermouth makes a difference; this time I had Martini-brand vermouth, while previously I had some off-brand which I don't remember.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:10 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,711,345 times
Quote:

It is almost universally established that either an olive or a twist of lemon constitute a canonical martini. Indeed, the IBA (International Bartenders Association) agrees with this. Then there's the gibson, swapping out the olive/lemon for a cocktail onion - a martini in everything but name.

Personally, I prefer a twist of lime. In any case, while both are fruits neither the lemon nor the lime entailing sweetening.

Of course, I cannot imagine why I should care if someone else wants to throw cherries or apple jack in a martini.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:07 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:

Not to question your taste but sometime you should try a blind taste test with Gordon's London Dry instead. I converted more than a couple of friends who either couldn't discern a great enough difference or chose Gordon's instead. The cost savings alone is pretty significant too.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:35 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
I see no issue if you make your own or a place offers it. But to go to some random bar and ask for it, then trying to explain how to make it is a bit weird. It is also a bit rude to ask for such complicated rinks when the bar is very busy, exceptions of course, and a good tip helps make up for any of it regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages