Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 06:10 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Around our house in the 60s and 70s, there was lots of Koehler, Genessee, Duquesne, Carling Black Label, and Rolling Rock. Dad supported all the local and regional beers. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 10:49 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Anyone remember Rhinelander beer? Back in the 80s it was $4 a case. It wasn't very good, but we were drinking for fun so it didn't matter.
Also, Heidelberg beer. They sold them in keg or barrel shaped bottles. Better than Rhinelander, it was $6 a case, lol.

Hamm's is still sold around here, so is Rainier. Both are drinkable, cheap beers. Nothing wrong with that!

Old 10-02-2018, 11:32 PM

178 posts, read 147,753 times
I think a lot of the old beers were local. For example, years ago you couldn’t buy Coors in NYC, or anywhere pretty much east of Colorado. Then you would ask someone who might be traveling cross-country to bring a case or two for you (if you liked Coors).

I grew up in NYC and the beers I remember from the fifties and the sixties were Schaefer’s, Rheingold, Ballantine, Piels and Schlitz. They were all lagers and had similar tastes, but each had its faithful fans.

In those years beer was poured from the tap into a 6- or 8-ounce glass (depending on the bar), and a glass of beer was fifteen cents, and every bar in the city would buy you back your fourth beer even if you weren’t a regular. It was so common that if the bartender didn’t offer you the buyback, you would remind him that this was the fourth beer. So for forty-five cents you could have four glasses of beer.

Schaefer’s was in every bar (it seemed), and they had a Schaefer pavilion at the 1964-1965 World’s Fair. I thought it was the best Schaefer I ever tasted. Their radio and TV ad sang “...Schaefer’s is the one beer to have if you’re having more that one.”

Rheingold ran the Miss Rheingold contest for years. Each year beer drinkers would vote on Miss Rheingold, and it was a big deal to see who won. Rheingold was a big favorite in saloons of the day.

Ballantine was a sponsor of the Yankees on TV, and Mel Allen, the Yankee announcer, would talk about “... the three ring sign, Ballantine...”

Piels beer used to run ads featuring two cartoon characters, Bert and Harry Piels, who were voiced by Bob and Ray, a famous and very funny comedy team of the time.

Schlitz wasn’t a local beer as were the others, so it wasn’t carried everywhere, but you could find it if you wanted it. Their slogan was, “The beer that made Milwaukee famous.”

Ah, those were the days...

Old 10-03-2018, 10:50 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Killian's Red was my go-to not-too-cheap/not-expensive party 6-pack. I hear it's still in production, but it's not available anywhere close to me. I'd actually love to try it again, because I recall it being not so bad.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:32 PM

234 posts, read 267,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Killian's Red was my go-to not-too-cheap/not-expensive party 6-pack. I hear it's still in production, but it's not available anywhere close to me. I'd actually love to try it again, because I recall it being not so bad.
Killian's is produced by MillerCoors but can be hard to find. To see if it is available near you, you could try entering your location at this site:
Find Killian

Old 10-06-2018, 09:21 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I've been enjoying Pabst Blue Ribbon lately.

My 88 yr old neighbor turned me on to it. I cook for him sometimes, and that's what he serves me for happy hour. On tap!
Pabst is one of two "low end" beers I keep in the fridge. (The other is Miller High life) I enjoy it.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:24 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I just bought some of that a few months back. I enjoyed it and will buy again.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:18 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
most of the ones i'd mention already have been already.

two more- little kings and country club malt liquor. the latter was truly foul stuff

Old 04-28-2022, 04:12 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Michelob Dark is another beer from the ‘80’s (?) I enjoyed and miss. Had a heavy malty, slight bitter taste.

Old 04-29-2022, 03:29 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighterDays View Post
Responding to a couple of different comments above...

Lowenbrau -- it is still brewed, but hard to find in the U.S. (in the 1970's it was contract brewed in U.S. by Miller and thus widely distributed).

Hamm's -- is now owned by Miller-Coors. They have ramped it up nationwide the past couple of years as their 'economy' beer offering. It is quite good for a cheap beer. In my area it is $4.00 for 6 pint cans or $13 for 24 -12 oz cans.

Falstaff -- the brand is owned by Pabst Brewing, but is not currently produced. I am hoping they re-introduce it in the future as I have never tried it.

A couple of older brands I never see anymore, although they are still produced: Black Label and Stroh's.

Falstaff, then a product of the Griesedieck Brewing Co., was good to us when I was in college in the late '60s. They were trying to lure college students away from Bud and a local sales rep who lived near a friend gifted us with free beer and tickets to the Twelve Hours of Sebring and the Atlanta 500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages