Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 02:25 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone has encountered a condition where a few drinks no longer provides any buzz. I want to qualify that as:

1) not a big drinker (maybe a drink or two every other weekend)
2) over the age of 50
3) have gained some weight in the belly from overeating (say 15 pounds)

In the past, I could get a slight buzz from a glass of wine, for example, and after a bottle, feel pretty good. Not drunk or blitzed, but having a pleasant buzz. Now, there's no buzz, and more of a tendency to just get tired. The difference before and after has happened only within this year.

Maybe too many carbs and slight weight gain? Maybe age? Maybe some change to the liver or other organ? Hard to believe that could happen so quickly. No other changes have been noted.

P.S. Not sure if this is more for the Health & Wellness forum.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-24-2019 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 06:59 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
Well a 15 pound weight gain could certainly change the way you metabolize the alcohol, but perhaps its just a matter of increased tolerance.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
It sounds like tolerance, totally normal. Take a break from it for a couple of weeks at least.

There is a supplement that would help with this. It also protects your liver and changes the way you metabolize alcohol.

It has other benefits as well. It lowers your tolerance and helps with OCD behavior, in other words, you get a better buzz and you drink less.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/885865
https://www.jwatch.org/na46135/2018/...ce-alcohol-use

Old 10-09-2019, 06:06 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I'm finding the opposite. I'm 66, female and have lost maybe 10 lbs. over the last year (deliberately). My BMI hovers around 19. I like my scotch at night but finally did some research and decided that 2 oz. was my limit. I was probably doing double that before- didn't measure it but now I do. I've seen the damage alcohol can do and didn't ever want a doc to tell me, "you have to quit or this stuff will kill you". I'd hate to quit.

If I overdo it (sharing a bottle of wine with a friend at dinner, for example), I end up with a migraine and that seems to happen more easily now. Last Christmas at a family dinner I was enjoying wine alternating with glasses of water but also had a glass of champagne. I woke up with the first hangover I'd had in decades. On a cruise, I had a jalapeno margarita (maybe 6 oz.) but then had wine with dinner. Woke up in the middle of the night with a headache. Different types of alcohol do not play nicely together in my body.

So- I listen to my body and exercise moderation. Except I might have another glass of champagne or a jalapeno margarita.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:38 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
Drink on an empty stomach. When I drink beer, I eat nothing until 4:00 when I start drinking beer and then you will feel a buzz. Try that.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:13 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I'm a senior and find my tolerance for alcohol has lessened--and I get a buzz with much less now.

I don't eat many carbs so maybe I metabolize alcohol more quickly now?

Nice being a "cheap date", so to speak. Our wine bill has gone way down...

Old 09-30-2023, 06:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm curious if anyone has encountered a condition where a few drinks no longer provides any buzz. I want to qualify that as:

1) not a big drinker (maybe a drink or two every other weekend)
2) over the age of 50
3) have gained some weight in the belly from overeating (say 15 pounds)

In the past, I could get a slight buzz from a glass of wine, for example, and after a bottle, feel pretty good. Not drunk or blitzed, but having a pleasant buzz. Now, there's no buzz, and more of a tendency to just get tired. The difference before and after has happened only within this year.

Maybe too many carbs and slight weight gain? Maybe age? Maybe some change to the liver or other organ? Hard to believe that could happen so quickly. No other changes have been noted.

P.S. Not sure if this is more for the Health & Wellness forum.
Well if I want a buzz and a good one I go with steel reserve malt liquor. Problem is is that WinCo doesn't carry that so I have to go over to safeway. However I will in a pinch do ice House or somewhere along that line.

Here's an odd thing I found out if the beer is warm it seems to hit me much harder, much much harder so you might consider that don't have it cold have it warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages