Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 12:25 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Root Beer Float.

I have no idea what is in it, but it is tasty,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:51 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
A fun, easy, and tasty drink is a Paloma. I do put more than 1 Oz in mine though.

Ingredients

• Ice
  • 1 ounce silver tequila
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice
  • large pinch salt
  • 6 ounces grapefruit soda (Squirt, Fresca, Jarritos)

Old 12-07-2019, 04:45 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
A really simple one is a screwdriver, just vodka & orange juice. Then, there’s a mimosa, orange juice & champagne. Cranberry juice & vodka is good, too.

My late mother, who considered herself a teetotaler, had a fondness for brandy alexanders, which are brandy, creme de cacao, and cream, with a nutmeg sprinkle. She liked creamy, chocolatey stuff, so this is it with a kick. It’s considered a “retro” cocktail these days.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:07 AM

11 posts, read 5,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Ah, you are correct, I make those drinks at home (I thought you made yours at home too). I rarely go to bars -- just not a "thing" for my friends and me (and when drinks approach $10 each even in my out-of-the-way location, that's just nuts to me). You are right, most bars would likely not accommodate those "recipes," although most would have lime and strawberry mixers for various drinks (daiquiris and margaritas in particular, but I expect they could use them for vodka drinks as well if you ask -- I do that at home!). Alas, most bars wouldn't have things like watermelon or mango mixers, and a lot don't have blenders (I was astonished to find that out -- I would have thought that was "standard" bar equipment).

Mojitos are great (as someone else suggested), as are screwdrivers (basically vodka and orange juice) and whiskey sours. They are pretty standard drinks at bars, if you want to go beyond daiquiris.

But I say, invite some friends over and blend away!
Thanks Karen. I mentioned Vegas because that's typically the only time I have a drink since they don't charge for them when I'm playing at the tables. We do have a blender though, so I'll have to give one of those a shot.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:08 AM

11 posts, read 5,430 times
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. This is giving me some options.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:45 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
My mother used to like a cocktail called Singapore Sling. It's also retro.

White Russian or Black Russian and Whiskey Sour are also retro cocktails that mask the taste of the alcohol.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:09 PM
C7C

101 posts, read 101,755 times
Clarence: "I was just thinking of a flaming rum punch. No, it's not cold enough for that. Not nearly cold enough . . . Wait a minute . . . wait a minute . . . I got it. Mulled wine, heavy on the cinnamon and light on the cloves. Off with you, me lad, and be lively!"

Nick: "Hey look, mister, we serve hard drinks in here for men who want to get drunk fast and we don't need any characters around to give the joint atmosphere. Is that clear? Or do I have to slip you my left for a convincer?"

-It's a Wonderful Life

Old 12-13-2019, 02:17 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
This is so retro, no one has heard of it. Every time I want one, I have to instruct the bartender.

Addington:

In a tall glass:
****** of sweet vermouth
****** of dry vermouth
Rocks, soda, twist

Wait, whaaat? You can't say that unit of alcoholic measurement here?

Last edited by Nonchalance; 12-13-2019 at 02:36 PM..

Old 12-13-2019, 03:13 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
This is so retro, no one has heard of it. Every time I want one, I have to instruct the bartender.

Addington:

In a tall glass:
****** of sweet vermouth
****** of dry vermouth
Rocks, soda, twist

Wait, whaaat? You can't say that unit of alcoholic measurement here?
The language filter does strange and mysterious things.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:30 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I just love Palomas. They are like a not too sweet margarita. I can’t really taste the tequila in it, so someone could leave it out if they wanted.

1/4 c. Tequila
1/4 c. Grapefruit juice
Juice of 1/2 lime
Pour over a tall glass of ice and top with
1/2 c. Grapefruit soda

Oops. Sockeye beat me to it. My recipe is a bit different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages