Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 07:40 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Your favorite way to mix gin & tonic

It's almost summer so: FREQUENTLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 09:16 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times
A very, very good gin and tonic recipe -

1 part Hendricks gin
1 - 2 parts tonic
dash of celery bitters
slice of cucumber

Yum!!!!!

Also, when I was in London, I went to the Beefeaters distillery tour. At the end of the tour you get a free gin and tonic.

The gin was Beefeaters of course, and seemed to be mixed one part gin to 2 parts tonic. The difference was the addition of a slice of lemon and a slice of orange.

Currently (today) I am drinking a "Monkey 47" Gin and Tonic. This gin is a German gin with an interesting herbal note. I made my first drink with trying the Beefeater approach, with a slide of lemon and a slice of orange.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:18 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times
Obviously I really like Gin. Counting the Hendricks and Monkey 47, I currently have 7 different types of gin in the house plus two bottle of Genever.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:04 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Fellow Gin lover. I usually have 5-6 different gins on hand. But until the posts from MyTarge13 & gemstone1, I had never thought to use bitters in a G&T. Looking forward to trying that.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:19 AM

1,462 posts, read 973,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nothing wrong with customizing a drink to your taste.

Gin and tonic is a favorite of mine during the hot months. I'm not real precise in how I put 'em together. I get a glass with a few ice cubes, eyeball a shot or so of gin and then add the tonic to what looks to be the right level. Squeeze the juice of a 1/4 lime into it, dump the rind into the glass and it's ready.
That's my method as well. I squeeze fresh lime juice, add 1-2 ice cubes, eyeball 1-1.5 shots of Hendrick's Gin, then add tonic water. I like Fever Tree but am okay with Schweppes.

I also like to add a little fresh mint from the garden every now and again for a slightly different taste. As other mentioned, it is a nice summer drink.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:28 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I've never been a drinker beyond a shandy on a hot day or a glass of wine on a night out. But when I heard tonic water helped fight or prevent Covid-19 I thought I'd try gin and tonic. I like it!

I mix one part gin to two parts tonic. Regular tonic water is just too sweet for me so I tried something a bit more expensive but drier - Q. Then I might squeeze half a fresh lemon or lime. The other day all I had was frozen orange mango concentrate so stirred in a spoonful. Very tasty!

Perhaps my improvising is blasphemy to hard core drinkers!
There's nothing wrong with adding fruit, indeed Pimms is a popular gin-based fruit drink in the UK.

There are four main types of gin - London Dry Gin, Plymouth Gin, Old Tom and Jenever sometimes called Genever which is a Dutch Gin.

The 4 Types of Gin and What They Even - Bon Appetit

HOW LONDON DRY GIN CAME TO BE—AND WHY WE MADE IT OUR OWN - SIPSMITH

Plymouth Gin - Wikipedia

Old Tom gin - Wikipedia

Jenever - Wikipedia

As for Tonic Water,Tonic Water is a carbonated soft drink in which quinine is dissolved, with quinine being an anti-malarial drug. The British in India developed the gin and tonic as a refreshing way of taking an anti-malarial drug.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-08-2020 at 10:56 AM..

Old 06-08-2020, 11:49 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post

Also, when I was in London, I went to the Beefeaters distillery tour. At the end of the tour you get a free gin and tonic.
I've been to London many times but didn't know they had a tour. Many years ago I took the Heineken's tour in Amsterdam -- free drinks after, too.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:53 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
A third of a glass of ice cubes. One part gin to 3 parts tonic. Squeeze a half of a fresh lime into the glass and stir. Bombay Gin and Schweppes Tonic water in glass bottles.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:05 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There's nothing wrong with adding fruit, indeed Pimms is a popular gin-based fruit drink in the UK.

I forgot about Pimm's. First time I had a Pimm's Cup was in London. Like a salad in a glass!

Old 06-08-2020, 02:26 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"I had never thought to use bitters in a G&T. Looking forward to trying that."...I use Angostura Bitters. I friend once observed me adding something to my Gin & Tonic...so the next time I was at his house, he mixed me a drink and brought out a bottle of Worcestershire Sauce, thinking it was what I had been adding....both bottles have a paper wrapper...

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages