Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 07:53 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times

Advertisements

So this is my first time choosing to participate in the “Dry January” fad and I’m noticing something after the first week without any drink. I only think about a drink as it relates to certain meals. For example, I have always enjoyed a dry red wine with pizza or pasta dishes, and a beer with certain seafood ( raw oysters, steamed shrimp, etc.). I have found that in the absence of imbibing, the only time a drink crosses my mind is at dinner, depending on the meal. Of course most entrees ( chicken, fish, vegetarian entrees, etc.) don’t cause me to associate any type of alcoholic beverage) but as I said above, others do. I am genuinely surprised that aside from certain foods, alcohol does not even occur to me. Just curious if any other folks who are moderate drinkers have the same experience? Of course, it’s only been a week thus far but I have not observed any other changes that others allege they experience when they dont drink (e.g., better quality of sleep, more energy, etc.). Nothing has changed for me other than biting into a New York pizza and thinking, “it’s just not the same with iced tea”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 06:24 AM

251 posts, read 246,326 times
We are doing Dry January! I am realizing how much I really do savor a nice glass of wine at the end of the day. Did a long run yesterday and not having a nice micro brew after felt a little disappointing, but the extra coffee I made instead was just as tasty.

It is a good time for a palate re-set, and I'm looking forward to a wine tasting scheduled for next month!

Old 01-12-2021, 10:51 PM

830 posts, read 486,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelKate View Post
We are doing Dry January! I am realizing how much I really do savor a nice glass of wine at the end of the day.
Why not try a Pinot Gris or a Tempranillo? Both of those are pretty dry.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:01 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
We are participating as well. Good to detox

Except for the 4 swigs I had to wash down my Percocet's the last two days

Old 01-13-2021, 06:18 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Funny. The first week I really did not miss it at all. At day 13, I am missing my evening wine. Totally expected the opposite - to miss it the first few days then, not so much. Still not feeling any different, sleep is the same, energy the same, don’t think I have lost or gained any weight. But I am avoiding foods that I strongly associate with wine. I will finish out the month but don’t anticipate this becoming a recurring trend for me.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:02 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Why not try a Pinot Gris or a Tempranillo? Both of those are pretty dry.
Dry January is referring to no alcohol at all.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:18 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
I normally do a dry January and February every year, partly because it helps with my efforts to shed excess holiday weight and get my body “beach ready” for wherever I’m vacationing in the spring. I normally don’t think about alcohol much other than when I’m at social gatherings where it’s present. That’s obviously not been a thing for most people this year.

My issue isn’t calories from alcohol per se. It’s more that it makes me hungry. Even 1-2 drinks will make me want to snack later at night, and reduced inhibition makes it easier for me to do it, which isn’t conducive to my goals.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Since the restaurant and bar industries have been crippled by covid, the National Restaurant Association is urging patrons to skip Dry January.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:28 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
There is NO WAY that this is the January to give up drinking. : D

Old 01-17-2021, 11:58 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
There is NO WAY that this is the January to give up drinking. : D
Absolutely not. I drank a very nice IPA a few hours ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages