Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,005,448 times

Advertisements

Love it. The explosion of popularity in craft/Golden Age cocktails has only heightened my appreciation for the taste. I have a penchance for bitter spirits especially: Fernet Branca, Campari, Aperol, Cynar, etc as well as the smokey taste from Mezcal. There's so much out there, so many bars doing really interesting stuff now. I get a lot of people wanting flavored vodka drinks so it's fun to turn them on to something different, get them thinking out of the box a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 03:38 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,986,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Do people actually like the taste of alcohol? I think it tastes like &^($# That is just my opinion. I only drink it on very rare occasions because everyone else does. However, I never liked how 99% of the drinks tasted. Do people actually like alcohol or does everyone else just drink to socialize and feel better? I am just curious.
What a great question! NO, I think it tastes awful, plus it burns your throat on the way down. A sweet liqueur can be good, like plum brandy from Bulgaria or Romania. That's it.

Then there's beer, even worse. I've polled random people around the West Coast over years to ask them why they became beer drinkers. EVERYONE said it tasted awful when they first tried it, and made them sick. So why continue partaking? Because everyone else was going it, and they wanted to fit in, they said. AAAACCKKKK! Are people really that emotionally needy that they would abuse themselves and choke down that awful stuff until they eventually acquired a taste for it? What does that say about how people in our culture are raised? It blows me away. It would be a lot easier (not to mention, healthier) to just find friends who don't drink. There are plenty of non-drinkers around in college. The sad thing is, most drinkers/in-crowd joiners don't believe that. They think college is nothing but partyers. I didn't know any partyers in college, that kind of thing was mostly confined to the Frat/Sorority crowd. Very few of the people I knew were drinkers. I guess it was a more intellectual/nerdy crowd, idk.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:21 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,174,646 times
I drink Malibu on the rocks or Wine mainly. Very rarely anymore Vodka/OJ

Old 05-30-2012, 04:44 PM

16,960 posts, read 16,189,386 times
Some of the frozen mixed drinks taste as good as dessert to me. And the alcohol gives the taste an edge that the non-alcohol versions don't have (those taste flat to me, for lack of a better word).

I enjoy the taste of many types of wine and vodka tonics with lime are so refreshing. There are times, like hot summer days, when nothing tastes better than an icy cold beer.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,798,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Love it. The explosion of popularity in craft/Golden Age cocktails has only heightened my appreciation for the taste. I have a penchance for bitter spirits especially: Fernet Branca, Campari, Aperol, Cynar, etc as well as the smokey taste from Mezcal. There's so much out there, so many bars doing really interesting stuff now. I get a lot of people wanting flavored vodka drinks so it's fun to turn them on to something different, get them thinking out of the box a little.
I think a lot of people don't like the taste of alcohol. They are either pressured to, or don't mind alcohol, mixed with something else tasty, because it does the job of getting them drunk.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,187,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think a lot of people don't like the taste of alcohol. They are either pressured to, or don't mind alcohol, mixed with something else tasty, because it does the job of getting them drunk.
I totally disagree, well partly anyway. Yes, some really do not like the taste and drink for social reasons or to get drunk, but most of us drink because we like the taste of what we drink. We do not set out to get drunk..I know I love wine, but am not a beer drinker. Hubby like scotch and some beer, but some he will never drink. Other than a martini once in awhile I rarely drink hard liquor because I really do not like it. There are many reasons for drinking alcohol, getting drunk is not the usual reason I don't think.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 AM

19,319 posts, read 9,408,411 times
While some might do that just to get drunk, others, like myself must like it or we wouldn't be selective as to which particular bottles of the booze we prefer. Granted the call drinks will cost a little bit more than the restaurant choice brand but it depends on how much [probably even varies at different bars in the same state]. It's been a while for me drinking amaretto on the rocks but if I'm going to choose between say DeKuypers and Saronno, I'm going for Saronno. Maybe why some prefer margaritas and other like daquiri's more. Some people like beer more than wine. I know someone who would drink any other beer but Budweiser. If I'm going to get drunk, I'm gonna do it on select your drink . Maybe next week it'll be a different drink

Actually anymore I don't drink to get drunk. Rarely have more than one. Depending on where you go, the drinks could cost more than the dinner.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 AM

58 posts, read 218,624 times
I don't think so...I think they like the effects LOL

Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,187,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather.lynn1022 View Post
I don't think so...I think they like the effects LOL
I am amazed how many people really think those who enjoy a drink or a few glasses of wine only drink to get the effects. I wonder if whose of you who feel this way and there are a lot either have problems or are tea tottlers? Obviously you do not understand how some people can enjoy a drink and even enjoy the taste. To me, those who drink for the effects and nothing more fall into 2 catagoies: 1-they have serious drinking problems or 2-they are freshman in college and are feeling their way around..

Nita

Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,088,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
I like it. Glenlivet neat is my preferred liquor. I do like the taste of (good) wine and many european beers (I am not disrepecting American beers, I drink them, they just are too "light" for my taste).
Some liquors I don't care to drink them straight but use them mostly for cocktails (gin, rum, tequila), but I like a good vodka here and there.
And wine...I could talk about wine forever...

Now, if you want to be specific you might say that people like the taste of what's in drink with the alcohol more than the "taste of alcohol". Obviously drinking pure 100% alcohol is not "tasty"; it's the different ingredients and processes that make gin different from vodka and scotch different from tequila.
This is EXACTLY how I feel.
Give me Glenlivet straight up with a piece of ice.

The tequila is what makes a margarita taste good. I go heavy on the tequila in that drink to really make the flavors dance. By itself...meh.

The gin is what makes the gin and tonic. Do I like gin straight? Not really...but the flavor is really enhanced by the tonic. I like tonic water anyway. But add gin to it, and it's delightful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages