Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:06 AM

104 posts, read 254,831 times

Advertisements

So I'm fairly new to drinking, my parents don't drink and most of my friends don't either. So I pretty much don't know much about alcohol ( I am 21+)

Anyway, people here in the city look knowledgeable drinking all these fancy drinks and I want to be one of them.

Whats a good drink to order that is not only great but looks cool too.

I feel so stupid asking this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:12 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Drink something that tastes like alcohol, that way you'll know your limit. Avoid anything too fruity or sweet. If it tastes like Kool-Aid it's easy to get carried away.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaskin View Post
So I'm fairly new to drinking, my parents don't drink and most of my friends don't either. So I pretty much don't know much about alcohol ( I am 21+)

Anyway, people here in the city look knowledgeable drinking all these fancy drinks and I want to be one of them.

Whats a good drink to order that is not only great but looks cool too.

I feel so stupid asking this
It depends on the situation, a lot of factors. The bar, how crowded the place is, your gender, the weather, etc. lol.

Right now in the summer, Gin and Tonics are a cool classic, if you can handle something a little more exotic, a Mojito or a Caipirinha work. But since your new to drinking I would take things slow, try basic mixes and every now and then try something new or a little more exotic. A lot of people drink such horrible dreck in college and they eventually don't want to try anything new. You thankfully haven't ruined your tastebuds.

Martini's are always classy but depending on the situation a big ole Martini glass can be awkward.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Are you a man or woman? I suggest a cosmopolitan if you are a woman. I love them myself, but it doesn't look right for a man to order one. I normally drink gin and tonics, but they are nothing fancy. The martini does look classy, and a quite strong. You might want to try one those next time you are out.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Without knowing your gender, it's difficult to recommend you something. If you're female, it's not such a big deal but it's taboo for a straight guy to drink a "girls" drink.

Also not sure what you mean by fancy drinks - do you mean cocktails? I would ask the bar staff if there's a cocktail list or menu, some bars will make up their own cocktails and some bars may not even be able to do certain cocktails. For example, I love an amaretto sour but I've actually some across bartenders who don't know what it is! Or others don't have the lemon juice for it.

Having said all that, Mojitos seem very popular right now. Mojito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I agree with what someone else has said - if you're not very experienced with drinking, please learn your limits first. Cocktails tend to be very strong so please be careful, especially if you're only used to just beer or something.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,838,232 times
If you order white wine with ice cubes in a beer mug, put a couple shots of vodka in it and drink it with a straw, you will be the coolest dude in the place.

To be super cool, stick a paper umbrella in it, but make sure the umbrella matches the color of your tie.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I'd rather drink in the country. More fresh air.

Anyway ... If you see someone with a drink that looks interesting, just ask them what it is. And just because it's a fancy drink doesn't mean the person drinking it is "knowledgeable." It usually means they have money to burn. A glass of wine is much classier, and usually cheaper.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:53 AM

lol i should have mentioned im a girl. drinking to my limit is a must, i have to get home in one piece, besides i wouldnt drink more than 2 glasses and that would have to be over a long period of time.

ill def try a cosmo, thats a must, and amaretto as well. I've always wanted to try a gin and tonic. might as well.

what wines are good? i have yet to try the basics even. i"ve only had a single glass of white wine and a red wine my friend suggested once, they were cheap and not very good. im going to have to try the basics like cabernet and pinot eventually.

thanks for the tips guys!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:30 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Well, I know everyone is different but like I said, cocktails are usually stronger than other drinks you might be used to and 2 cocktails would definitely be too much for me to drive, lol. But then, I'm 5ft tall and weigh 96lbs.

Strawberry Daiquiri is another classic girly drink, especially for the summer. If you like that kind of thing, I suggest making some of your own drinks at home - get some fruit, rum and ice and throw it in the blender!

Alcopops are generally seen as girly drinks too - Smirnoff Ice, Blue Wicked, Bacardi Breezers, etc. They usually have about the same alcohol content as beer and don't cost as much as cocktails.

Wines are hit and miss for me because I don't drink much at home but most bars or restaurants don't have the same brands. So I generally just get a Pinot Grigio since I know they are generally easy to drink.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM

thanks PA2UK,

what about vodka drinks? im not a huge fan of rum, but i really enjoy vodka,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages