Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 AM

986 posts, read 1,665,632 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who likes whites? You guys need to stop being racist.

Back on topic, I like nice dry rieslings and sauvignon blancs. Not a fan of the super sweet rieslings (or Moscato).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM

126 posts, read 275,810 times
I'm a white fan as well. I tend to drink more white in the summer. Dry Rieslings are always good. Sauvignon Blancs are good but I tend to prefer Chardonnay. For the blancs, Sancerre is my favorite region.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
I like the Beringer White Zinfandels. I like Sangria though. Most likely tomorrow

Old 05-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseENT View Post
I'm a white fan as well. I tend to drink more white in the summer. Dry Rieslings are always good. Sauvignon Blancs are good but I tend to prefer Chardonnay. For the blancs, Sancerre is my favorite region.
I've tried to get into Chardonnays, but I haven't found too many that I'm a huge fan of. Do you have any recommendations?

I've been known to drink a white zinfandel a time or two...as well as sangria.

I started out with white zinfandel, it was "my first wine"...funny story...I was 19 and went out trying to buy some white zinfandel for the first time. I asked the clerk for a bottle of pink zinfandel. He said "white"? I said "no, pink". That should have been his first clue that I was underage...LOL.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 AM

126 posts, read 275,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
I've tried to get into Chardonnays, but I haven't found too many that I'm a huge fan of. Do you have any recommendations?

I've been known to drink a white zinfandel a time or two...as well as sangria.

I started out with white zinfandel, it was "my first wine"...funny story...I was 19 and went out trying to buy some white zinfandel for the first time. I asked the clerk for a bottle of pink zinfandel. He said "white"? I said "no, pink". That should have been his first clue that I was underage...LOL.
As far as chardonnay, it depends on what you like. Do you prefer wine that is heavier on the palate (feels like it has more weight) or wines that are more crisp. Also there is the oak issue. Some are put in oak while others are aged in steel. If you like the crisp wines go Chablis (described as stealy and with high minerality) also along the same lines but a bit cheaper is Pouilly-fuisse. These are regions in France I am recommending you will have to get recs on specific wines in that region but the quality is often pretty consistent. Chards from California can be a bit more round, fruity, and more often are oaked. For a cheap suggestion try Cupcake (around 11 bucks). A good way to find a wine is to find a wine store that has a website with descriptions and ratings. After trying several wines and reading the description you will find that there are several key words that reviews use that make it likely it will be your type of wine.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
I remember as a young kid getting drunk on mogan david & mad dog 20/20.
Lets just say... I NEVER EVER drank wine again.
Hubby doesn't care for it...so we don't have to put out for that expense.
This way I'm leaving more for all the rest of you wine lovers.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseENT View Post
As far as chardonnay, it depends on what you like. Do you prefer wine that is heavier on the palate (feels like it has more weight) or wines that are more crisp. Also there is the oak issue. Some are put in oak while others are aged in steel. If you like the crisp wines go Chablis (described as stealy and with high minerality) also along the same lines but a bit cheaper is Pouilly-fuisse. These are regions in France I am recommending you will have to get recs on specific wines in that region but the quality is often pretty consistent. Chards from California can be a bit more round, fruity, and more often are oaked. For a cheap suggestion try Cupcake (around 11 bucks). A good way to find a wine is to find a wine store that has a website with descriptions and ratings. After trying several wines and reading the description you will find that there are several key words that reviews use that make it likely it will be your type of wine.
I think I prefer crisp wines. I've tried a few Chablis and liked them as well. I've seen Cupcake at the store, I may give it a shot this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Anything red and dry. I do not normally like Sweet wines or desert wines. I am no wine snob ( like in the movie sideways ). I can drink wine from a box.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Am I the only one who likes whites? You guys need to stop being racist.

Back on topic, I like nice dry rieslings and sauvignon blancs. Not a fan of the super sweet rieslings (or Moscato).

I have been a total racist to white wines lately. That needs to end!'

Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
White: Pinot Grigio. Several brands are good and cheap, like Cavit and even Barefoot.

Red: Pinot Noir. My favorite is Rex Goliath, and around here you can find it on sale for $5.00.

Did you mean THAT cheap?

Oh, and champagne, but I don't have it very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages