Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Thanks for the beer history! I didn't know that. Heineken is a staple, too. Tsingtao, I think I've at least heard of this beer. I'll try it soon.

Some people like trying different wines or spirits. I'm a beer connoisseur. I know that's strange for a female, lol.

I have one for you if you like Heineken. Try Peroni is a similar Italian beer. I wish I was exposed to more Italian beers.
No offense but we would never have to worry about drinking each other's beer, I don't care for any of those you've mentioned And nothing wrong w/that, diff strokes for diff folks and all....but IMO Mexico, Italy and the "Orient" simply cannot make beer. UK leads the way, followed by the US and Germany, for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 07:32 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
No offense but we would never have to worry about drinking each other's beer, I don't care for any of those you've mentioned And nothing wrong w/that, diff strokes for diff folks and all....but IMO Mexico, Italy and the "Orient" simply cannot make beer. UK leads the way, followed by the US and Germany, for me.
Okay. Other than Sam Adams name a decent domestic beer on tap at most restaurants.

I do know a little about German beers. Shoot.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,473 times
Locally, we have Grand Teton Brewing Co. and Snake River Brewing Co. I've never had a beer I didn't like from either of those breweries.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Okay. Other than Sam Adams name a decent domestic beer on tap at most restaurants.
I rarely eat out and almost never drink when I do because it's ridiculously overpriced, so that's "N/A" for me. I mostly care about what the grocery store sells

Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I rarely eat out and almost never drink when I do because it's ridiculously overpriced, so that's "N/A" for me. I mostly care about what the grocery store sells
Cool.

So what do you drink from the grocer?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
While on a family trip to the ancestral lands (Éire) I had many opportunities to sample the native Guinness and it is wonderful. Different than the draft stout I enjoyed at Gaffney's Emerald Isle Room in Washington DC. The proprietor at one pub explained to me that there were four different formulations of the brew. One for domestic consumption, one for Britain, one for the Continent, and one for the US, due to content laws. He added that the US version was like "dirty dish water"

Now you've got me thinking about a cold bottle of Harp lager. Been a long time since I've had one and Gaffney's is long out of business
I was told once that the draft on tap in bars (at least on the West Coast) is mostly from Jamaica, but the cans you buy in the store are generally imported from the UK.

Guinness would hit my list but only for certain winter moods. Given a choice I'll always pick an IPA, like Lagunitas or Anchor Steam, though a lot of people I know find ales overwhelmingly bitter. Maybe they mean "hoppy" but I don't share their reaction at all, maybe because I mostly drink ales so the taste doesn't hit me hard in comparison. If I had a choice of lagers it would be Modelo Especial.

If I'm going for straightforward domestic, out of habit it's Miller. I discovered there are Coors People and Bud People and the beer runs could get pretty heated, so I figured I'd always take the neutral option.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 PM

181 posts, read 323,844 times
I have had Coors, Miller, and Bud. They all taste like bum's urine. I would never touch one of these nasty beers to my lips.

Here's my list:

1. Trappistes Rochefort 10 (Belgium)
2. Deschutes The Abyss (United Staes)
3. Russian River Pliny The Younger (United States)
4. Deschutes Brewery Hop Henge IPA (United States)
5. Oskar Blues Ten Fidy (United States)
6. Founders Breakfast Stout (United States)
7. Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock (Germany)
8. Stone Brewery IPA (United States)
9. The Bruery Melange No. 3 (United States)
10. Thornbridge Brewery Jaipur IPA (England)

All in all, the United States brews the best beer, followed closely by Belgium and Germany, then UK.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
My new fav is the epic Pliny the Elder by Russian River Brewing (on tap). Even though it's an imperial IPA, it hides its alcohol well & doesn't have an overly bitter/ascerbic bite on the finish. The aroma alone is intoxicating!

As for bottles, I've been impressed with the whole line-up from Green Flash, Alpine Beer & of course Ommegang.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Cool.

So what do you drink from the grocer?
A fair bit of what I mentioned above, but I bounce around a lot.

I love a good IPA, but I need to be in the mood for it. I can't drink it all the time.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:40 PM

181 posts, read 323,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
My new fav is the epic Pliny the Elder by Russian River Brewing (on tap). Even though it's an imperial IPA, it hides its alcohol well & doesn't have an overly bitter/ascerbic bite on the finish. The aroma alone is intoxicating!

As for bottles, I've been impressed with the whole line-up from Green Flash, Alpine Beer & of course Ommegang.
Totally agree! I love Pliny the Elder too

Have you tried Pliny the Younger? I actually like it better to be honest. Just like I enjoyed Dogfish Head 60/90 Minute IPA more than the 120...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages