Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times

Advertisements

About 5 - 6 years ago I went to my primary care physician, due to a sore throat. She realized this was the 3rd year in a row I'd come in at the exact same time of year with a sore throat and a bit of post nasal drip. She said I must have allergies, and told me to take Claritan. The Claritan works; decongestants have no effect. I do get these same symptoms starting at the end of March every year, and it continues until some time in May, I think. What exactly am I allergic to? I live in New Jersey...I don't see any pollen outside and there are times of year I do, so I can't imagine it's pollen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 04:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I bet it's pollen, even if you don't see it.
They say that some of the worst pollen is microscopic.
There are some deciduous trees (oaks, elm, maple, willow etc) that are not showy pollen producers but can get you sneezing.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:35 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I agree. It is most likely tree pollen. When the pine trees pollinate I walk around with a box of tissues.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:36 PM

617 posts, read 2,822,378 times
I recommend seeing an allergist. They will poke you all over your back with little needles, and inject tiny bits of different trees, pollens, ect. The ones that turn red are the ones you are allergic to. My sister did this, and it really helped her get on top of her allergies. She was able to get shots weekly, which contained small bits of what she was allergic to, to help her build an immunity to those things.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:31 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I also agree with the pollen diagnose. I also think you should see an allergist. I give myself two shots a week and it really helps. Stay inside as much as you can and don't open your windows during this time. Also Zicam for allergies is great, it's over the counter spray.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:48 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I also agree with the pollen diagnose. I also think you should see an allergist. I give myself two shots a week and it really helps. Stay inside as much as you can and don't open your windows during this time. Also Zicam for allergies is great, it's over the counter spray.
yep, allergies. I get the same symptoms-sore throat with blisters plus migraine,nausea,etc when exposed to perfumes and colognes. Wish we could ban those the way smoking is banned.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:18 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernexposure View Post
yep, allergies. I get the same symptoms-sore throat with blisters plus migraine,nausea,etc when exposed to perfumes and colognes. Wish we could ban those the way smoking is banned.
A lot of perfumes bother me too. I am very allergic to White Diamonds.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
That's interesting. Thanks for your comments, and next time I go to the doctor I will ask about seeing an allergist.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:06 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times
I have been experiencing something similiar.
About a month ago, I had a severe sinus infection with fluid in the ears and a cough. Went to the Dr., he told me exactly what I already knew (sinus infection, fluid in ears, cough from nasal drip). Dr. gave me scripts. Cough pills (which made my cough worse when the pill was about to wear off). Clarinex, and antibiotic.
We relocated 8 months ago. I have cleared the ears up, but still have the annoying cough and post nasal drip, mostly in the morning and in the evening.
Dr. says my lungs are clear.
We have mega pollen here, so I am assuming thats what it is.
When does the pollen let up??? Any ideas ? Maybe I should go back on the Clarinex? I just don't care for the side effects (jittery feeling). I am worried about taking too much, I hear thats what the kids are abusing, so I tend to not want to take it.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I have seasonal allergies. Mine go off and on all year w/ certain times of the year being the worst. Febraury/March/April being the worst as that is when it seems EVERYTHING is blooming. Trees are known to really put off a lot of pollen at this time of year. Everything here in the Dallas area this time of year is covered in the greenish/yellow pollen from the trees and I mean EVERYTHING! Ragweed hits in August (hack, hack, sneeze, sneeze). I've been on everything and every allergy drug acts differently. Most insurance companies will not cover Allegra or Allegra D since you can get Claritin over the counter. The problem is these two drugs work totally differently. Claritin is a drug that you have to be on ALL THE TIME for it to work. You must take it daily even when you do not have symptoms. Allegra or Allegra D helps after even if you start taking after symptoms show up. I'm on the downhill slide right now of my worst time of year: watery/itchy eyes, itchy nose, itchy roof of my mouth, ringing/itchy ears, sneezing, post nasal drip that creates a cough and can have a stopped up nose and/or congestions. Even though I'll start taking the Allegra it still does not get rid of any of the "itchy" effects, only Benadryl does that for me. I can take 1 benadryl every hour or 2 every two hours and still be awake (it makes some people very sleepy). Before spring break when the congestion started up I had to add a Sudafed to the mix. So I was taking Allegra D in the morning along w/ Nasonex and my Patanol allergy eye drops and then the Benadryl and Sudafed and Zicam Allergy Relief. The minute the itchy stuff started up I'd have to take another Benadryl and the Zicam to keep it under control so that I could function. Depending on what symptoms you have will depend on what drug works best for you. For any itchy symptoms just about Benadryl is the only thing that can work. A good allergy eye drop that is a prescription is Patanol. This year was the first time I used the Zicam Allergy Relief and I really liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies