U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 AM

7,832 posts, read 6,835,210 times

Advertisements

My 19-year-old daughter and I have resumed our early morning jogs now that spring is here and the snow is melted. However, she's started having a problem either during or right after the jog that she hasn't had in all the past years. She's never experienced "allergy" problems per se, but now shortly after we get started, she's sneezing, getting puffy watery eyes (though no itching), and "feels like her throat is closing". Nothing tightening in the lungs, just the throat. Today was the worst of all, scared the crap out of us, and she's seeing the doctor this morning.

We live in a small town/rural area - there's nothing budding/blooming yet. She ate nothing before the jog, only had her tea when she got up. We've gone out in the late afternoon/evening, and she hasn't had this reaciton. It only seems to be when we go in the early a.m. The only thing I could think it could be is grit remaining from the melted snow, and whatever chemical the borough puts down to melt ice - and she's allergic to the chemical. But then, why does she suffer in the early a.m. but not later? And it doesn't affect me. Hopefully, the doctor can give us an answer, but anybody else experience this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 05:36 PM

8,873 posts, read 15,594,396 times
Many pollen allergy sufferers have reactions when things are just germinating. I'm allergic to grass, for instance, and I have some of my worst reactions when it just starts shooting up. Also, many trees release a ton of pollen in early spring. I have a variety of acacia tree in my yard in Southern Arizona that has piles of sticky yellow particles under it the minute the minute the temps rise from January lows.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:41 PM

8,671 posts, read 13,681,339 times
She could have exercise induced asthma or an exercise allergy:

Ask the Allergist(TM): Exercise-Induced Asthma | Allergy and Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics

Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM

665 posts, read 1,679,364 times
she just may be allergic to tea. "salicylates"

Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 PM

130 posts, read 887,183 times
Also, isn't there a high degree of mold and/or mildew when the snow has all melted and the ground is still wet?
And don't evergreens (pines, etc.) release spores that many people have issues with ... in the early spring, when it's damp and cool before everything has dried out sufficiently?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 PM

665 posts, read 1,679,364 times
I had allergies and asthma as a kid. If I ate breakfast then delivered papers in the cold I would have bad asthma. If I delivered without eating beforehand I was fine every time. The doctors suggested that it was a food allergy but my parents didn't believe in allergies. I took matters into my own hands and my "exercise induced" asthma stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies