Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I take something else daily and I give myself two shots a week.
Wow. I feel for you. Some parts of the country are worse than others too. I'm in California. My husband suffers slightly. I'm not really bothered. But we have a few friends who have problems with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Wow. I feel for you. Some parts of the country are worse than others too. I'm in California. My husband suffers slightly. I'm not really bothered. But we have a few friends who have problems with it.
Yea I have BAD allergies, I have all my life and living in Houston doesn't help.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
My nose had been stuffy all day. NY is the worst IMO for allergies

Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My nose had been stuffy all day. NY is the worst IMO for allergies
Though NY can seem bad for allergies, there are actually several cities that are worse. In the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America's annual list of Spring allergy capitals, Knoxville, TN is number 1 for the 2nd year in a row. I've been following this list for a few years, and Knoxville is usually pretty high on the list. New York, NY is number 39 (out of 100 cities) on the list, down from #23 last year.

Here is a link to the 2012 list, for anyone interested (it is a PDF file, so you'll need Adobe Reader to view it): http://www.aafa.org/pdfs/FINAL%20pub...pring_2012.pdf

Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
My allergies are acting up today too. My eyes are scratchy and not fully open and I've been sneezing too (going out and cutting the grass didn't help me any, lol).

Denverian, have you tried using eye wash or a Neti pot? Both of these should be available at your local drugstore. The eye wash is basically saline solution that you put into a little eye cup, and then hold over each eye to try to rinse out pollen and other contaminants. You may have to do it more than once to get relief.

The Neti pot is the same idea, only for your nose. It takes some getting used to, as you are pouring water in one of your nostrils, and letting it run out the other.

On a side note, I found out recently from a rheumatologist/allergist that I went to that anyone who has problems with their blood pressure being too high should stay away from any of the allergy meds with decongestants, such as Claritin-D. They have ingredients that can raise your blood pressure. She recommended using Allegra or Zyrtec. (I haven't tried either yet)
Thanks for the suggestions! Odd thing is that now I'm back to normal. There must have been something specific last week that was bothering me.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Last night my allergies were the worst in a long time. My nose was clogged, and then I started coughing so bad and wheezing that I threw up. That hasn't happend in a few years. I felt all itchy too. I had just eaten grapes and thought it was an allergic reaction but I ate grapes the day before and nothing happened. I took my zyrtec after I was done with my coughing fit and then my voice was hoarse. I feel fine today and no stuffiness. I get a post nasal drip from time to time. I have been checked for Asthma so I know it wasn't that.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,678 times
I have chronic sinusitis and more than likely seasonal allergies. I just went to the Doc today because of a few days dealing with a sinus toothache.

The only thing I hate about going to the Doc (besides my hatred of needles) is they talk about my smoking like it would cure everything. Go in because you cut your hand and you get asked "Do you smoke?". Get in a car wreck.. "You need to quit smoking." Yeah, quitting might make my sinuses better but my family has a history of chronic sinus problems and they do not smoke. Funny thing about that is I apparently have less problems than they do. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies